$49 Balancing Robot

ercoerco Posts: 18,191
edited June 16 in Robotics Vote Up0Vote Down
For Dads & Grads, Toys R Us has the Zoomer Chimp marked down ~half off. I bought a used one off Ebay a while back for $50. Internal LiPo battery, voice recognition, the works. ERCO SAYS BUY!

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • Nice, but I actually prefer the WowWee Coder Mip which is on sale at Best Buy for $41
    bestbuy.com/site/wowwee-coder-mip-transparent/5459603.p?skuId=5459603&ref=06&loc=01&ksid=59b59be5-e26c-4e31-8de8-6280fee4e88f&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg196568&ksdevice=c

However, these self balancing bots would be the perfect project for the FLiP. Add a OLED and you could have a bot with a face. This certainly on my projects to work on list.
  • ercoerco Posts: 18,191
    Dangit, JonM out-ercoed me. I need one of those too!
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Remember this jumping robot?

It also balances. According to erco they cost $25.

I was just playing with mine today (my niece's family stopped by). It's always a hit with kids. Occasionally it also hits kids (sometimes it ends up jumping into a very startled child).
    Dog drat you, Duane! Now I need one of those too!

It's noteworthy that Pololu's Balboa robot is $70, without wheels or motors.

https://www.pololu.com/product/3575

- Pablo Picasso
  • Did you ever see the movie Big? (I know you did, I'm just teasing.)

Who wants to just WATCH a toy? Talk to it? Been there, done that. Lead it around with your hand? Yawn.

Like many of these types of robots, Zoomer Chimp looks like a one-time toy: bring it out once, show it off to family and friends, then it's off to the back of the closet.

On the larger genre of self-balancing robots, I think they have limited appeal unless you built and programmed it yourself, or at least have played around with its programming. As a project base, I see it as holding little interest beyond initial play because it doesn't have a very broad use case. The Pololu bot looks interesting, and they're all about getting into its programming, so that's a start in the right direction.
    What if the monkey transformed into a building? :)

- Pablo Picasso
  • Kinda like the "Optimus Primal", but in a balancing bot?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jKAeyyxScmg
    edited August 1 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I finally got a Coder MiP from Best Buy for $25. This is what JonM mentioned previously for $41. Great toy & value at $25, clear case. Curiously, this Coder version is on clearance while regular MiP isn't. STEM failure? Coder Mip does more and comes in a bigger box with optional large "offroad" tires and a neat see-saw ramp to drive over.

Grab one now, ask questions later. I got the last one in LA, and I would have bought 2 more if they had them! Cool gift for any tech savvy kid IMO.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wowwee-coder-mip-transparent/5459603.p

- Pablo Picasso
  • They have one near me!!! Thanks erco :D I'm gonna have to go grab it.
    David
    PropWare: C++ HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) for PropGCC; Robust build system using CMake; Integrated Simple Library, libpropeller, and libPropelleruino (Arduino port); Instructions for Eclipse and JetBrain's CLion; Example projects; Doxygen documentation
    OK David, put $2 in the Corvair oops twins' fund.

- Pablo Picasso
  • Darn you erco - I bit!
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    Gimme $2 and your lunch money, Padre! :)

- Pablo Picasso
  • Nice. I guess the Coder Mips wasn't a big hit. It is cool that it supports multiple options for coding it. I had grabbed a Coji a while back as well just to Hack the Bluetooth on it and control it from a Raspberry Pi.

Best Buy also has the Meccano for about 50% off, $78.99, so it might be one to watch as well.
    bestbuy.com/site/meccano-meccanoid-g15-personal-robot-silver/4359800.p?skuId=4359800
    edited August 3 Vote Up0Vote Down
    They really are getting rare/sold out at Best Buy. I just searched a dozen wildly different zip codes and only found one within 250 miles. I really must have gotten the last one in LA.

You snooze, you lose!

Edit: One big difference between Coder Mip and the regular one is that Coder comes with a rechargeable Li-Ion battery, regular uses alkalines. Score! BTW mine took a loooooong time to charge the first time. Instructions were unclear. Green LED isn't mentioned, only orange. Turns out that it's a bicolor LED. Green is always on when charging, then the red comes on (sorta making orange, combined) when full, flashing red when medium charged. Mine was green only for a long time, I thought something was wrong at first.

- Pablo Picasso
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,059
    edited August 3 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Did you ever see the movie Big? (I know you did, I'm just teasing.)

Who wants to just WATCH a toy? Talk to it? Been there, done that. Lead it around with your hand? Yawn.

Like many of these types of robots, Zoomer Chimp looks like a one-time toy: bring it out once, show it off to family and friends, then it's off to the back of the closet.

On the larger genre of self-balancing robots, I think they have limited appeal unless you built and programmed it yourself, or at least have played around with its programming. As a project base, I see it as holding little interest beyond initial play because it doesn't have a very broad use case. The Pololu bot looks interesting, and they're all about getting into its programming, so that's a start in the right direction.

I couldn't agree more. As traditional remote control systems become less and less exciting, their robot counterparts follow along.

For me, the answer could be EEG. I don't like the idea of having a host computer, or their subscription model, but this looks like a lot of fun (and programming). https://www.emotiv.com/epoc

Edit: I didn't realize how much that headset costs. I'll have to read some reviews on cheaper units.