Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RadioShack is auctioning off "memorabilia" — Parallax Forums

RadioShack is auctioning off "memorabilia"

https://ubidestates.hibid.com/catalog/103245/radioshack-auction--1/?

They're cleaning out the closets! There's even a gold disk for the Tandy version of John Madden Football, something I supported in a job long ago at EA headquarters.

Comments

• Alarm set thirty days from now. Some of the computers look like new. Never wanted a Tandy in the first place, maybe now for penny's. They will probably go for some outrageous price.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2017-06-02 15:08
    Saw this today

RadioShack suddenly closed more than 1,000 stores — and now only a handful remain

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/radioshack-suddenly-closed-more-1-214326198.html

... just 70 company-owned stores left in operation... along with 425 stores owned by franchisees
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    I have a few Radio Shack bags in VG condition I'll let go for a cool grand each.
  • Most of the tech stuff is in the first 300 or so lots, after which it goes heavily to jewelry, art, furniture, and knickknacks, although there are a couple of audio items and another model 100 toward the very end.

The early ham stuff and well known computers are being bid up already and probably going to go high. There are a lot of Model 100's but there is also a bustling market for them, and most of them have at least a few bucks already bid. I was amused to see that the FD1400 portable is only at $3 so far. That was my first portable and I'd be mildly interested in having one that wasn't destroyed by several years of lugging it around industrial jobs. But with 30 days to go I suspect a few other people will end up feeling the same way before it's over.

• K2K2 Posts: 691
    Looking at all that Smile certainly was a trip down memory lane. Some of those offers bore a strange resemblance to boxes in my attic. It is a little shocking to realize how influential RS was on the first 25 years of my life. The second 25 years? Not so much.
  • This is probably the absolute upper limit for what Model 100 stuff should go for (pretty pricey site, but I guess you know they'll work?): http://www.club100.org/ordform.html

Might be fun to get a Model III since my dad had one and I used it a bit, but if that urge strikes an emulator should satisfy it.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    Model 100, did you say? For once, me and my hoarding ways were ahead of the curve: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/161740/any-trs-80-model-100-fans
  • I'm not sure what people are doing with Model 100's these days - I would think that a cheap tablet and keyboard would work better. For pure text entry the discontinued Alphasmart products are great. I bought a Neo for my aunt, and next thing you know she went and purchased a couple more as backups and for different situations. She absolutely loves it. If it breaks or gets stolen (unlikely) then you can get another for pretty cheap. And the battery life is hundreds of hours if I remember correctly. No need to worry about running a special writing app to eliminate distractions either. The only thing that I would consider is building a little backup unit if you were doing some serious writing - perhaps a Raspberry Pi with a small display that you could plug the Neo into.
  • I have one. It's really fun to write on.

Transfer to PC is pretty easy.

Keyboard is insane good.
  • Also, a Model 100 will run for 40 hours continuously on a set of disposable AA batteries. Look, I really like the tablet that replaced my old XP PC; it will run 5+ hours on battery, while playing video. Longer if mostly idle. That's pretty good, really excellent for a modern device. But even very expensive modern stuff engineered for battery life rarely does better than 10 hours. And the Model 100 booted and slept instantly, so you could turn it off for a few moments' distraction and then turn it right back on. Even sleep mode on a modern tablet isn't that easy and smooth. And of course the keyboard is legendary. And the display is also something you can't get any more; very low power, yet large and easily readable. Modern displays eat battery by comparison, needing backlights and having way more pixels than necessary for that much large text.

A Model 100 with a modern battery and networking system would be awesome.
  • I think that the Neo battery life is 700 hours. Also basically instant on/off. The keyboard is OK - designed to survive abuse in the schools.
  • The Neo isn't a general purpose computer as the M100 is, and its display is tiny by comparison. I'd agree that the keyboard is typeable, although not great like the M100. It was obviously designed by people who have some of my ideas in mind. But the display simply doesn't compare to the M100's display, and you can't make your own applications for it, even simple ones in BASIC. Some of the components, particularly the large display and full-travel keyboard, simply aren't available today and would cost a fortune to produce.
  • I know, but I don't know how many people actually write code on Model 100s today. Alphasmart also had the more flexible Dana line, but the battery life wasn't as impressive. Something like a mere 30 hours. Of course I'm sure that the Model 100 and Dana battery life would dramatically decrease if you played chess on them. I would pick a Dana over a model 100.
  • There must be a stash of avocado green shag carpet remnants somewhere. I think I'd bid on that!

Ken will want to bid on the bankruptcy paperwork that left Parallax high-and-dry for tens of thousands of dollars.

In my area several of the RS stores had survived the earlier purges, except for this one. It was a death-knell for every store around here.
  • KeithE wrote: »
    I know, but I don't know how many people actually write code on Model 100s today. Alphasmart also had the more flexible Dana line, but the battery life wasn't as impressive. Something like a mere 30 hours. Of course I'm sure that the Model 100 and Dana battery life would dramatically decrease if you played chess on them. I would pick a Dana over a model 100.

Hello!
    You do. Me.
    ---
    erco I saw your robots buying stuff in Target the other day.....

• I heard recently that 70 stores remain open nationwide. I wonder where?
    Jim
  • Here is an article that lists the remaining Radio Shack locations https://usatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/05/31/radioshack-closes-1000-stores-week-these-72-left/102372912/. That makes Microcenter (90 miles away from me) closer than the nearest Radio Shack (110 miles). I think I'll be switching stores now.
  • The remaining open stores may have something to do with the legalities of ending their leases. It may cost RS less to wait out the lease than to break it, especially if those stores still have the Sprint or Verizon or whatever "inside store" in them. I don't think there's anything special to the stores in the areas they are keeping.

Even if these remaining stores do 2X or 3X the business of the others they've closed, what's 2-3X of lackluster-salesville really worth?
  • blittled wrote: »
    Here is an article that lists the remaining Radio Shack locations https://usatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/05/31/radioshack-closes-1000-stores-week-these-72-left/102372912/. That makes Microcenter (90 miles away from me) closer than the nearest Radio Shack (110 miles). I think I'll be switching stores now.

And this store:
    " YONKERS-CENTRAL PARK YONKERS NY", which is right across the street from a Micro Center. (My first.)

"FOREST HILLS-CONTINENTAL FOREST HILLS NY" is one I suggested to them they would stay open.
    "NEW YORK-23RD ST, NEW YORK NY" is also but who cares....
    ---
    erco what were your robots doing in Midtown?
    I know, but I don't know how many people actually write code on Model 100s today.
    Hello!
    You do. Me.

Just out of curiosity what kind of stuff do you develop on a Model 100 today? And is this Model 100 basic? If so any you've never checked it out, then you might like the micromite.
    KeithE wrote: »
    I know, but I don't know how many people actually write code on Model 100s today.
    Hello!
    You do. Me.

Just out of curiosity what kind of stuff do you develop on a Model 100 today? And is this Model 100 basic? If so any you've never checked it out, then you might like the micromite.

It is in both BASIC there and RSN I8085 assembler.

I did look at Circia's talented little guy....