It's a fan! It's a clock!

Haven't bought one... yet. I'm wondering if this could be hacked to display messages from a propeller. Maybe in spin? :)

ebay.com/itm/LED-Clock-Fan-Mini-USB-Powered-Cooling-Flashing-Real-Time-Display-Function-/201920065271

Walter

Tulsa, OK

My OBEX objects:
AGEL: Another Google Earth Logger
DHT11 Sensor

I didn't do it... and I promise not to do it again!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • Why start with that small fan, that would be a good use for the Propeller, a ceiling fan is a good place for information.
  • ercoerco Posts: 18,499
    Those are neat while they last, but mine only lasted under an hour of use. It lost sync and the display got funky. Not worth fixing, chucked it.
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • I would suspect that the electronics are an epoxy blob and not easily hacked. And not worth hacking due to low quality, as erco warns.
  • ercoerco Posts: 18,499
    I almost forgot that I made this video to show the seller that my fan went bad. Amazing service, he offered a full refund long after I left good feedback for him. That's very commendable IMHO.

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso