Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is the Xbee S1 incompatible with the S1 Pro??? — Parallax Forums

Is the Xbee S1 incompatible with the S1 Pro???

Hi, I'm new with Xbees, so please bear with me and my basic question.

I am working on a small project with 2 XBEEs on two Parallax Basic Stamps. I've downloaded some sample code from Hebel's "Getting Started with XBees" (page 75 and 76). On Stamp 1, you push a button and on Stamp 2, a LED and buzzer sounds. With each push of the button the buzzer pitch changes higher (and as stated the LED lights).
Simple code.

With 2 standard Xbee S1's the code works great, as it's supposed to.

Here's where it gets weird:

When I swap out the standard S1s to Pros, the code works, but it's slightly off. The pitch change for the buzzer does NOT work. The buzzer does sound, but only sounds at one constant pitch.

If I change the Xbees BACK to standard S1s, the code works as intended. So my code didn't change, and the stamps are not faulty.

Note this:

If I change out ONLY the sending Stamp to a Pro, then it acts up again.

But if I change out ONLY the receiving Stamp to a Pro (and the sending unit is a standard Xbee), it works fine.

Any thoughts why this might be happening?

Comments

• I don't think this would work. XBees are designed for inter-familial compatibility (sorry, couldn't think of the right words!). Pairing a low-power module with a high-power version would mean the low-power version could only receive commands if they were far apart anyway. As for communication and protocols, I believe the communication interface is the same between the BASIC Stamp and a Series 1 or 900, but there may be communication differences between the two families of XBees. I think you could plop two 900s between the BASIC Stamps and they'd work, however.

It'll be interesting to hear what others have to say. I didn't look at any datasheet or Google any answers.

Ken Gracey