Several nights ago, after getting tired from many hours of research and browsing, I decided to head off to bed, but thought I would check my email, before shutting down.
Immediately upon clicking my email shortcut, the computer shut down instantly, then there was the sound of a massive short circuit, with a simultaneous flash of orange against the wall, a small puff of smoke, and the smell of burnt electrical components.
Over the years, I have had a couple power supplies just die, while working on the computer, but I have never experienced a power supply failure like this one. It was truly a unique experience :)
Considering the severity of the short circuit, I thought it might be possible for the power supply wiring to catch on fire, so of course I removed surrounding documents and unplugged the supply. Quietly I thought to myself, well there goes my main computer.
So for the last couple of days, I have been reorganizing my computing strategy, and scrambling to retrieve my unbacked files, as well as get a computer back online for browsing. To my amazement, the hard drive survived the fatal blow to the PC :)
As you can clearly see, I am back online, but now I have to set up a different computer for all my older files. :(
Anyhow, that's my story for the week :)