Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Batteries or charger? — Parallax Forums

Batteries or charger?

UPS alarm, go onsite, swap out UPS, pull old UPS pack. This is what I found.

You have a charger issue, I told him.

"No, these batteries are obviously bad, and the UPS is only a couple years old. Replace the batteries" says the the other guy.

All things aside, check out how warped they are! I followed my advice up with a DMM, which surprising ended things in my favor.

1210 x 908 - 322K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    WOW! Never seen that. They look broken. Did they leak? Two warped, two not. Were the straight ones also bad?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Probably from overcharging. Seen similar in fire alarm systems where the charger was always on at 100%.
  • erco wrote: »
    WOW! Never seen that. They look broken. Did they leak? Two warped, two not. Were the straight ones also bad?

One pack ruptured. The other 3 packs are functional, another sustained similar heat damage without leaking. I'm going to have to go back for it. I'm curious about the two packs that didn't overheat. APC brand UPS do this on occasion. I had one where the entire UPS had to be taken apart. The batteries were cracked and you could see plates inside.
    kwinn wrote: »
    Probably from overcharging. Seen similar in fire alarm systems where the charger was always on at 100%.

Yup, the float voltage was floating away. I found some info on adjusting it - http://www.jjoseph.org/notes/apc_smartups_battery_float_voltage I might try it.

Anyone want a refurbished UPS?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    xanadu wrote: »

Anyone want a refurbished UPS?

Or boat anchor batteries?