What's the attraction?

2»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 18,325
    Whole Youtube channels and entitled millennials ...

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 19,528
    I love ball bearings as much as the next guy but, but... but what kind of brain damage is that?

Can't Trump draft these guys into the army where they would have a lot of fun playing with ball bearings in tank engines or some such? And perhaps learn something along the way.

• Heater. wrote: »
    I love ball bearings as much as the next guy but, but... but what kind of brain damage is that?

Could be a youth rejection to a less than pleasant future.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 7,561
    edited May 5 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Heater. wrote: »

Can't Trump draft these guys into the army where they would have a lot of fun playing with ball bearings in tank engines or some such? And perhaps learn something along the way.

+ 1 - 40 seconds of that was enough for me.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • That video reminds me of Jeff Spicoli. What's crazy is how fast the manufacturers ramped up and shipped such a wide variety of spinners. How long has this been a thing? I know there have been fidget things in the news since the fidget cube kickstarter, but have no idea when this spinning one became a thing. I saw the story about the alleged inventor that let her patent lapse, but that looked a lot different. I'm not sure that there's really any link with her invention.

• People have been busy over at Hackaday, now fidget spinner's with a message:

https://hackaday.io/project/25381-pov-spinner

https://hackaday.io/project/25372-iot-pov-fidget-spinner
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,175
    edited June 17 Vote Up0Vote Down
    There sure are some ideas being spun around Hackaday.
    Parallax could easily come up with a promotional product featuring the Propeller, would give people all the more reason to spin.

https://hackaday.io/project/25494-learn-to-code-with-this-fidget-spinner
    1024 x 907 - 163K
  • When is someone going to put a motor on there so that we don't have to do all that tedious spinning by hand?
  • Heater. wrote: »
    When is someone going to put a motor on there so that we don't have to do all that tedious spinning by hand?
    ... and self balancing controlled by micro and gyro ;)
    My Prop boards: P8XBlade2, RamBlade, CpuBlade, TriBlade
    Prop OS (also see Sphinx, PropDos, PropCmd, Spinix)
    Prop Tools (Index) , Emulators (Index) , ZiCog (Z80)
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    Heater. wrote: »
    When is someone going to put a motor on there so that we don't have to do all that tedious spinning by hand?
    ... and self balancing controlled by micro and gyro ;)

Yeah, lets take 4 of them connected together and let them hover!

Enjoy!

Mike

I am just another Code Monkey.

A determined coder can write COBOL programs in any language. -- Author unknown.

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this post are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
  • Yet another POV spinner.

It's fun to see different implementations of one idea.
    Should be left to just the to the developer and any copies he can sell.
    I'm all for keeping corporate domination out of it, it would make it old fast.
    But this may draw some kids in to a rewarding hobby they may not been exposed to normally.

https://hackaday.io/project/25538-pov-fidget-spinner
  • @ ERCO, have you filed you FDA 510Ks for the copper, gold and platinum fidgets? Gotta support the "medical" claims of effectiveness for your heavy metal fidgets.
    And clackers? go back further, Did your sisters and nearly everyone of their friends have an army of troll dolls somewhere? Pet Rocks?
    Fads. Lot more stuff to worry about these days....

@Potatohead, I would discuss ADHD, but offline.

As septimus points out the greek worry beads. Saw these in many places in the middle east. They were everywhere!
    Ordnung ist das halbe Leben....
    Ich lebe in der anderen Hälfte
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,175
    edited September 7 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Finally a real purpose for these things, now if we can get the kids connected together, and generate some real power.

Honestly the generator And LED's should be on-board, would make it more interesting, IMO.

https://hackaday.io/project/27186-fidget-spinner-generator-3-in-1
  • What a waste of materials