Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Linear Power Supplies And The Propeller - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Linear Power Supplies And The Propeller

2»

Comments

• idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2017-05-01 22:45
    @DigitalBob
    I have a few CNC setups one is an old Hurco it has three servo motors. That sucker has a mega transformer 480 volt to I think 60 volt I could look at the VA if you need it. And another setup using Anaheim automation steppers I think each stepper is 8 amps they each have their own transformer. Just a matter of opinion I like reserve power for servo's for those high torque surges. Same for stepper

I agree that there are times when reserve power is desirable and beneficial, however in this instance, it is like comparing apples to oranges. I am only trying to control a laser that outputs 20mw of power and move two steppers around that only require 0.5A per phase, and the approximate speed for the fastest axis will move in the ballpark of 5mm/sec. With your knowledge of CNC equipment, as well as stepper motors, you should know right away that I do not need a
    10 amp 48v or better
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2017-05-03 23:25
    I'm really shocked that nobody in this forum has shown you how to wire up a full-wave center-tapped power supply! Here's a diagram:

full-wave_center-tapped.gif

This is Novice ham license stuff from the 1960s.

-Phil

Thought about it, wrote it both with FW as you drew, as well as 82VDC using 60VRMS into a FW bridge and twin +/- 42VDC FW bridge, as well as some stuff with the 7VRMS windings. Thought it too simple and obvious and not wanting to offend by showing the simple to what I assumed many already knew probably better than I, deleted it all. Guess I thought wrong. Maybe next time. My old IMSAI had supplies like this, you could weld with the unregulated +8VDC with monster caps!!
    Frank
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I'm really shocked that nobody in this forum has shown you how to wire up a full-wave center-tapped power supply! Here's a diagram:

full-wave_center-tapped.gif

This is Novice ham license stuff from the 1960s.

-Phil

Thought about it, wrote it both with FW as you drew, as well as 82VDC using 60VRMS into a FW bridge and twin +/- 42VDC FW bridge, as well as some stuff with the 7VRMS windings. Thought it too simple and obvious and not wanting to offend by showing the simple to what I assumed many already knew probably better than I, deleted it all. Guess I thought wrong. Maybe next time. My old IMSAI had supplies like this, you could weld with the unregulated +8VDC with monster caps!!
    Frank

Same here. I'm sure most of us who assembled 8 bit systems way back then are familiar with all the ways single and center tap wound transformers could be used for single voltage, dual voltage, and positive/negative voltage power supplies. I mean everyone knows that, don't they ;-)