Parral Dev Board Rev 2.0

coderbadcoderbad Posts: 29
edited April 19 in Propeller 1 Vote Up0Vote Down
Hi everyone.



giphy.gif

I am back with the Rev 2.0 of Parral dev board, a development board based on Parallax Propeller microcontroller, this protoboard-friendly platform has a complete selectable 3.3v or 5v power supply at 1 Amp, micro usb, 24lc512 eeprom, programmable buttoms and leds, a port to program externals propellers microcontrollers and a Dip-40 package microcontroller which you can remove it to use it on your own circuit or protoboard.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=608391442687456&substory_index=0&id=549267565266511
I hope you like it, because it will be available on kickstarter soon!!

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ParralLabs/


ModEdit: Links fixed
480 x 417 - 686K

Comments

  • 12 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • coderbad, I like V2 of your board, it's looking really nice. Looks like you got many of the recommendations covered and you are making good progress!

    Since you mentioned Kickstarter, here's a few ideas to help add some spark to your Kickstarter campaign page:
    1) Definitely use your Octopus animation on your Facebook post from February 10th. That GIF animation is a great visual way to explain how the Propeller can work.
    2) On your Facebook post on January 25th, you show Parral Labs text on an LCD. Using custom characters, you could make the display look more like your logo by creating 6 characters to match your font (P, A, R, L, B, S) I did something similar in this thread for my "WBA Consulting" logo. That will make the LCD image different enough to grab attention.
    3) Show some solid Blockly examples since you point that out in your video.
    4) Include links to any mentioned or utilized software, products, or tutorial sites so that prospective buyers can look into supporting items easily.
    FYI, the first slide in your video has a typo, it says "prototy" instead of "prototype"
  • There is no site at
    www.parrallabs.com
    as shown at the end of your video...
  • Just wanted to make sure that you're aware of the FLiP module that Parallax is doing. See Ken's post in the Blockly for Microcontrollers Facebook group.
  • KeithE wrote: »
    Just wanted to make sure that you're aware of the FLiP module that Parallax is doing. See Ken's post in the Blockly for Microcontrollers Facebook group.

    Hi KeithE
    Yes, I am aware of the FLIP module that Parallax is doing. But I think Parral and FLIP are different things, there other boards like FLIP, for example Propstick
    From my point of view and with all respect, Parral is a more complete platform with a complete power supply and a protoboard-friendly design
  • coderbad, I like V2 of your board, it's looking really nice. Looks like you got many of the recommendations covered and you are making good progress!

    Since you mentioned Kickstarter, here's a few ideas to help add some spark to your Kickstarter campaign page:
    1) Definitely use your Octopus animation on your Facebook post from February 10th. That GIF animation is a great visual way to explain how the Propeller can work.
    2) On your Facebook post on January 25th, you show Parral Labs text on an LCD. Using custom characters, you could make the display look more like your logo by creating 6 characters to match your font (P, A, R, L, B, S) I did something similar in this thread for my "WBA Consulting" logo. That will make the LCD image different enough to grab attention.
    3) Show some solid Blockly examples since you point that out in your video.
    4) Include links to any mentioned or utilized software, products, or tutorial sites so that prospective buyers can look into supporting items easily.
    FYI, the first slide in your video has a typo, it says "prototy" instead of "prototype"

    Hi WBA Consulting
    I appreciate your support very much.
    I've made an effort to improve the design and I think I'm ready to start the Kickstarter campaing, now I and making exactly you told me, and making mini projects to show how Parral works, and trying to show every point of the board, I have really followed every advice that people told me in the last version.

    Thank you very much
  • coderbad wrote: »
    Hi KeithE
    Yes, I am aware of the FLIP module that Parallax is doing. But I think Parral and FLIP are different things
    OK - I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a surprise to you. Good to be aware of the pricing too.
  • KeithE wrote: »
    coderbad wrote: »
    Hi KeithE
    Yes, I am aware of the FLIP module that Parallax is doing. But I think Parral and FLIP are different things
    OK - I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a surprise to you. Good to be aware of the pricing too.
    Thanks Keith.
    I am trying to offer Parral with a similar price to FLIP.

  • jmgjmg Posts: 10,608
    coderbad wrote: »
    Yes, I am aware of the FLIP module that Parallax is doing. But I think Parral and FLIP are different things, there other boards like FLIP, for example Propstick
    From my point of view and with all respect, Parral is a more complete platform with a complete power supply and a protoboard-friendly design

    Full specs on FLiP are sparse, but it looks to have a switching power supply included, from the photos & has std 0.1" headers.

  • jmg wrote: »
    coderbad wrote: »
    Yes, I am aware of the FLIP module that Parallax is doing. But I think Parral and FLIP are different things, there other boards like FLIP, for example Propstick
    From my point of view and with all respect, Parral is a more complete platform with a complete power supply and a protoboard-friendly design

    Full specs on FLiP are sparse, but it looks to have a switching power supply included, from the photos & has std 0.1" headers.

    I can see from the photo, it provide you 5v directly from the usb, and you can input it from 5v to 9v.
  • I think that one potential advantage you have is an easily replaceable propeller chip. If students are learning electronics, then it's possible that they will damage the propeller.
  • KeithE wrote: »
    I think that one potential advantage you have is an easily replaceable propeller chip. If students are learning electronics, then it's possible that they will damage the propeller.

    Yes, the idea is that they can easily replace the propeller chip, not only for a damage, if not they can be able to see a real chip microcontroller and they can use it in a protoboard and learn how to work and how to a chip works. :)
    I want to give them the possibility to see a real microcontroller and the microcontroller embed in the board.
  • Nice - thoughtful and productive layout, combining power for both sides of the breadboard, an Adafruit "T-Cobbler" like GPIO breakout, plus the removable prop. Good luck with, and lots of $ for, your kickstart !
    schro.png
Sign In or Register to comment.