Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Friday Quiz? — Parallax Forums

Friday Quiz?

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
edited 2017-04-18 02:14 in General Discussion
Oops! I missed last Friday's quiz. Fact is, it was a really hectic week. I'm partners in a sailboat, and we had it hauled out for extensive repairs. Moreover, we had to build a shelter for it to keep it dry for renovation, which calls for a lot of rotten plywood replacement, fiberglassing, and painting. Attached are images of the Rhino plans for the shelter and of the boat in the shelter.

They say that a boat is just a hole in the water that you pour money into. Yeah, no kidding! I used to subscribe to the notion that the best boat to have access to is someone else's. I'm beginning to resubscribe to that notion! :)

Anyway, I guess we can still have a quiz. The boat is a well-represented class boat from the late '50s - early '60s. It's definitely a proletarian craft. No rich person would dare be seen sailing one. Can anyone identify it from the images of the hull?

-Phil
989 x 793 - 187K
578 x 551 - 119K

Comments

• Cabin cruiser.
  • Jensen??
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    1967 Shock Endeavor 26.

It's the only boat name I know. :)
  • Nope.
    Nope.
    Nope, although you got the length right.

-P.
    Michael Scott: "That's what..."
  • Chris-Craft
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-04-18 17:15
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    Chris-Craft

Chris-Craft is a power boat. Phil has a sailboat, or as the power boat owners say, a Blow Boat. :)

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-04-18 17:36
    Publison wrote: »
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    Chris-Craft

Chris-Craft is a power boat. Phil has a sailboat, or as the power boat owners say, a Blow Boat. :)

Wild guesses Jim.

Has this been in a few movies? It looks familiar but never knew the maker.

EDIT: Didn't James Bond (aka Sean Connery) use one of these?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-04-18 18:37
    The boat has a mast, but it's been removed so that it fits under the shed and so that the chain plates (the fixtures that hold the stays to the hull) can be worked on.

While these boats are of a single design, they were made by a lot different of builders -- some even home-built from plans. It has a Northwest U.S. origin, but ours was made in Japan. The original design, like ours, used fiberglass-covered plywood. Since then, all fiberglass versions have been made, but they are still considered part of the original class.

The boats are popular along the U.S. and Canadian west coasts and in the Great Lakes. There are even fleets of them as far away as New Zealand. They're mostly suitable for day-sailing and cruising inland waters, rather than for offshore sailing and ocean crossings.

-Phil
  • Does the boat have a name?
  • It looks a little like a modern day Macgregor to me. No offense, I know how some people feel about them. I cleaned hulls for years and still can't tell most boats apart. Yes, a friend's sailboat is the best. I've been roped into maintenance, but never paid a slip fee : )
    edited 2017-04-18 22:23
    Seairth wrote:
    Does the boat have a name?
    Yes. I can't tell you what it is just yet, because you could then find the model on the internet.
    xanadu wrote:
    It looks a little like a modern day Macgregor to me.
    I wish! Nothing nearly that fancy, though.

-Phil
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2017-04-18 20:06
    Seairth wrote:
    Does the boat have a name?
    Yes. I can't tell you what it is just yet, because you could than find the model on the internet.

-Phil

lol. I was afraid I was being too obvious. I tried making out the vessel number for that very reason, but no luck... :D
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2017-04-19 11:36
    Definition of BOAT

Break Out Another Thousand.

Although I must confess, this seems to be a very old one. More like Ten-thousand, and frequently :(
  • Fortunately, we're not in the $10K category. Plus, with partners, those $1Ks get spread a little thinner.

-Phil
  • Thunderdird 26
    edited 2017-04-19 19:10
    edited 2017-04-19 19:37
    Thunderdbird 26
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

The Thunderbird 26 was the result of a design contest held by the Douglas Fir Plywood Association in the 1950s. You can read about it here:

https://cwb.org/exhibits/thunderbirdsloop/

Now I can answer Seairths's question: the name of the boat is Anuket, after an Egyptian goddess of the Nile. Ours is hull number 581.

-Phil
  • Same size as my 26 Oday. I had a 10 HP one lunger diesel. Do you have internal or external aux drive?

420 x 315 - 30K
    edited 2017-04-20 03:14
    Nice boat, Publison! Where do you take it?

Our motor is external: 8 hp Yamaha long shaft. Unfortunately, it's in a motor well, so there's no way to tilt it up out of the saltwater. Even though the lower unit is bottom-painted, we still have to clean the algae off and scrape some barnacles. And the zinc doesn't last very long between replacements.

-Phil
  • Nice boat, Publison! Where do you take it?

Our motor is external: 8 hp Yamaha long shaft. Unfortunately, it's in a motor well, so there's no way to tilt it up out of the saltwater. Even though the lower unit is bottom-painted, we still have to clean the algae off and scrape some barnacles. And the zinc doesn't last very long between replacements.

-Phil

I was land locked on a lake in Georgia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Lanier

Land locked on Lake Lanier.

"And... loving it!" Maxwell Smart

Ready when you are, PhiPi!
  • OK I'm early with the next one.

I have been asking for 15 years on this one.

1024 x 768 - 672K
    1024 x 768 - 784K
    1024 x 768 - 808K
  • Morril Saw Set Plier?
  • Heavy-duty pitter for unripe cherries?

-Phil
  • My dentist would love that.
  • Me to also think this is a saw setup plier. The adjustment screw set the angle which is applied to the saw tooth.
  • Seairth wrote: »
    Morril Saw Set Plier?

A winner! You must have seen them before?

• Saw set pliers seem to be a rarity nowdays. I was at a large indoor flea market near Toronto and in the tool booths I was only able to locate 3 in separate booths, two were actually market "Saw Set" and the third was marked "Precision Leather tool" even though it was identical to the other two!