Program the BS 2 over WiFi

I have an application running on the BS 2 which utilizes the WiFi module. Is there a way to send program updates to the BS 2 over wiFi?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • There used to be a module available to do this, but it does not look like it is available any more.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Bluewolf+Flashfly
    Infernal Machine
  • The issue is timing. The BS2 requires that the program information be supplied quickly and wireless modules can't guarantee the timing because of the need for error correction and retransmission.
  • I think Parallax will eventually support loading the BS2 using their WX wi-fi modules. I'm not sure about when that feature will be available though.
  • Spoiler alert: Going to talk about non-stamp stuff -- maybe move this to General Discussion

Mike is correct regarding the timing issues and mirrors my experience with going wireless with the BS2.

If the wireless programming connection is a key element of your project, I have been working recently with programming microcontrollers over wifi and have found the BASIC interpreter for the ESP8266 to be reasonably workable. In all fairness, it is a personal project of the gentleman who hosts the ESP8266basic.com website and the product is not commercial quality yet. But, it will allow programming in a language close the that of the BS2, et al. The firmware downloads easily into a generic ESP8266.

It uses most variations of the ESP and allows programming directly from a browser on a laptop any where on the network. The ESP (depending on model) has several digital I/o, including one analog and the interpreter has some really neat commands such as sending an email with a couple of commands or printing directly to the browser screen.

Cheers
    Tom Sisk
    Sisk Consulting Inc.
    www.siskconsult.com
  • I'm thinking that Tracy should merge his Stache Programmer concept with a wireless module. Send the tokenized BS2 file wirelessly to the Stache, then let the Stache manage the local RS232 interface so that timing issue is ruled out.

I honestly can't believe that someone hasn't resolved the wireless timing issue with the programming sequence of a Stamp. How is a 115200 baud wireless connection not able to stay ahead of a 9600 baud serial interface?
  • ercoerco Posts: 18,564
    edited April 28 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I honestly can't believe that someone hasn't resolved the wireless timing issue with the programming sequence of a Stamp. How is a 115200 baud wireless connection not able to stay ahead of a 9600 baud serial interface?
    +1
    stamptrol wrote: »
    ...it is a personal project of the gentleman who hosts the ESP8266basic.com website and the product is not commercial quality yet. But, it will allow programming in a language close the that of the BS2, et al. The firmware downloads easily into a generic ESP8266.

I've had a lot of fun playing with Michael's ESP8266basic. It has a total 1994 BS-1 vibe to it. The structure need some finish work, but it's a very promising start.
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso