Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD Writing Tablet — Parallax Forums

LCD Writing Tablet

Hurry, hurry! Sale ends sometime later this decade! For just $15, you can throw away all those expensive, irksome, burdensome pens, pencils and paper pads that are cluttering your home & office, draining productivity and chaining you to 18th-century technology. Just don't bend it, fold it, drop it, pin it, lose the stylus, let the battery go dead, lick it, chew it, make spitwads out of it, mail it, crumple into a ball and shoot wastebasketball with it, etc.

Ultra thin! But not quite as thin as a piece of paper.

Ultra lightweight! But not...

Ultra convenient! But not...

Ultra inexpensive! But not...

Never mind.

http://www.banggood.com/Ultra-thin-8_5-Inch-LCD-Writing-Tablet-Digital-Drawing-Tablet-Handwriting-Pads-Board-With-Pen-p-1128468.html

pad.jpg
690 x 720 - 91K
pad.jpg 91.1K

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Sometimes one can only wonder what they were thinking. Did I miss mention of how many notes/drawings it could store?
  • If it could store or export it might make sense but ... nope? It's just volatile?
  • It's like an Etch-A-Sketch.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    And yet it has only 5-star reviews! Has the world gone mad for digital?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Jeff Haas wrote: »
    It's like an Etch-A-Sketch.

OK, when I think of it as an Etch-A -Sketch replacement it's not such a bad idea. Good for young children to practice drawing and printing.
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2017-04-09 19:25
    Is it possible that with 3 year battery life, it has an E paper display? pervasivedisplays.com/home

Only $6 for the small one to find out if it's hackable.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    Silly me is starting to think it might be a cool canvas for a robot arm to paint on, or write on.

Maybe I'll eat my words yet.
  • Had a few of these x*decades ago. Magic Slate. They were monochrome, hardly heavier than an equivalent thickness of cardboard, required no batteries and could be written on with almost anything that could apply pressure to the surface. As with the above, they were write only, and cleared with the lift of the surface sheet. And they were VERY low cost. They could come with almost any graphic you could think of depending on the supplier, cartoon characters, company logos, and more!

• The reason this five-year-old thread got revitalized is due to a spammer whose post has since been deleted.

But the Magic Slate mention reminded me of this story, wherein Magic Slates were used to communicate undetected at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow during the cold war:

https://www.completeset.com/the-classified-history-of-the-magic-slate/

Sometimes, zero-tech solutions are the best.

-Phil