Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Somebody say Spring — Parallax Forums

Somebody say Spring

MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
edited 2017-04-07 13:51 in General Discussion
What the heck, heading into the middle of April, more limbs down and the power is out again.

I never had to use the snow blower all Winter. But these ice storms sure have been a pain.

I guess we should be thankful, compared to other parts of the US, we have been spared.
1920 x 1080 - 486K

Comments

• Spring Spring Spring Spring

Although whilst your waiting, you might benefit from one of the new Propeller Backpacks

:D
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Spring Spring Spring Spring

Although whilst your waiting, you might benefit from one of the new Propeller Backpacks

:D

Yes that would be convenient.

Will that work with a Flexible Flier?

This new antenna has survived high winds and other ice storm's this winter. Glad I went with a heavy duty version.
    But I think mother nature is in cahoots with the dish/cable companies.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »

Will that work with a Flexible Flier?
    Are you a baby boomer? I had one as a kid.

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-04-07 15:44
    [quot e="lardo m;1406.821"]

Are you a baby boomer? I had one as a kid.

[/quote]
    I had to look that up to find out, so I guess I fit the category @ 58.

And a FF was my second sled. My first was a shiny new aluminum sled.
    Baby boomers are the demographic group born during the post–World War II baby boom, approximately between the years 1946 and 1964. This includes people who are between 53 and 71 years old in 2017, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2017-04-07 16:59
    MikeDYur,
    Somebody say Spring
    Funny you should say that. I was just out buying some spring.

You see, my chili seedlings have been trying to grow since mid-feb. But the Helsinki spring is being very dark and gloomy. So I bought some grow lamps before they give up in disgust.

There has been a notable lack of snow around here this winter. Just a lot of gloom. The locals blame it on me, the English guy bringing his rainy English weather with him.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Spring hopes eternal!

2.5_id_chrome_plated_cs_series_1.png
    Heater. wrote: »
    Just a lot of gloom. The locals blame it on me, the English guy bringing his rainy English weather with him.

Careful they don't Finnish you off.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-04-07 16:18
    Yeah, Spring. When was that? Last week for one day? High wind warning for this afternoon: gusts to 60 mph. Did I mention that it's raining -- again?

At least it's not snow.

From the Gray Pacific NorthWET,
    -Phil
  • Heater. wrote: »
    MikeDYur,
    Somebody say Spring
    Funny you should say that. I was just out buying some spring.

You see, my chilly seedlings have been trying to grow since mid-feb. But the Helsinki spring is being very dark and gloomy. So I bought some grow lamps before they give up in disgust.

Heater, Just how long is your growing season there?

My antenna was on the way out, instead of the ice falling strait down while it was melting. It stayed in tact and slid down the elements, putting more stress on them and me. Then I had the idea to get the pellet gun out. Two dozen pellets later and a stiff neck, we will keep our reception.
  • Two to three feet of snow in the Sierras next few days.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2017-04-07 17:39
    MikeDYur,

A good question. No idea exactly but damn short.

However, if you happen to live in a city apartment with a huge south facing balcony, with glass panels between balcony and the outside world, then there can be a lot of light from March on wards and as soon as the sun hits the balcony the temperature can hit 30 degrees C and more. Even when there is half a meter of ice on the sea nearby!

In fact, last year I killed off 30 odd seedlings as I left them in the sun when I went to work. They got cooked!

Anyway, if things go right this happens:

chili_bush_2013.jpg

Which was the second harvest of the year!

This year however called for some emergency lighting.

Interesting facts:

There has been a profitable chili farm near by here for many years:
    https://www.fatalii.net/

There is chili festival every summer in a city 200km north of here:
    http://www.chilifest.fi/

Nice here in LA.Maybe I'll go for a bike ride for you guys!
  • erco wrote:
    Maybe I'll go for a bike ride for you guys!
    Gee, thanks. Been waiting to do that for weeks. If it's not the rain, it's a monster headwind on the uphill parts.

-Phil
  • Snow, antennas, springs and peppers all in one post. Drone AP is weird, no matter how nice the weather is, it's nowhere near that perfect shot.

@erco I'm going to be in LA the weekend of the 15th and 22nd if you want to meet up. Hope view park, at 17622 Flintstone Ln or Harriet Wieder Park on Seapoint street, depending on wx.
  • The Finnish people must be using hot peppers to stay warm.

We used to watch a cooking show on PBS a few years ago, it was called New Scandinavian Cooking. The Chef Andreas Viestad would take his show on location outdoors all over Scandinavia. I just don't remember him cooking spicy foods.

But Finland is probably like a lot of country's these days, the influences from other cultures are intertwined with the native cuisine.

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/perfect-day/
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-04-07 22:55
    I have a friend who came here from Norway. His jokes that Scandinavian cuisine consists of whitefish and potatoes, but that sometimes they throw in cauliflower for color. :)

The worst of the storm here appears to be over. It's pouring rain but only gusting to 45 mph now.

-Phil