Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New AR glasses for pilots, drivers, and more — Parallax Forums

New AR glasses for pilots, drivers, and more

People keep sending me this link, and talking about how it will change aviation. https://glass.aero

This isn't meant to be a flame. I just don't see the how or why, yet. A group in San Diego developed them, and will soon manufacture. I seems to me it would take a lot more processing power to do this. The cue card part for head tracking looks solid, but what good is that info if everything you see is a couple degrees or hundreds of feet off?

The prices start at $8,000 for hardware, I'm not sure but I would imagine the navigation stuff is going to be subscription based. I would assume they're working with the FAA, and it won't get shut down like the guys that made portable ADS-B out for general aviation.

I've connected a webcam to a computer with an i7 CPU and used AR software and it was so-so.

You think that little CPU, GPS and the cameras can do all of this?

Comments

• Yes, I think it's entirely feasible with current technology and a great idea. I guess if you can afford an airplane and the avgas to keep it flying, you can probably afford the eight kilobucks for this system, too.

-Phil
  • Yes, I think it's entirely feasible with current technology and a great idea. I guess if you can afford an airplane and the avgas to keep it flying, you can probably afford the eight kilobucks for this system, too.
    Ironic how costs have changed, My second airplane was a 4 place retractable with a 200 HP lycoming engine and I had less than $8K invested in it.
    Jim
  • It would be a confusion, if you used this all the time. Overlaying a virtual world over reality, could be distracting. How much info is enough. The sky's are getting more crowded these days, will this substitute or accentuate VFR. Are we taking the pilot out of the flight.