Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Analog Sensor Reading and RN-XV Wifly Serial Communication System Setup — Parallax Forums

Analog Sensor Reading and RN-XV Wifly Serial Communication System Setup

Dear forum,

I currently have several analog sensors connected to an MCP3208, I am displaying the values in the PST (Parallax Serial Terminal). I want to be able to use a RN-XV WiFly Module https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10822 to send the readings from the sensors to a PC/smartphone for displaying purposes. My understanding is that after setting up the wifly device, I only need to connect it to: 3.3V, Tx, Rx, and Gnd, and it will send the data via wifi thru TCP/IP protocol. I am attaching the code that I wrote to transfer the data from the propeller to the wifi as a zip file. My questions are the following:

1. How do I setup the wifly device? What are the optimum settings?

2. Is the code that I wrote correct to transfer the data serially to the wifly?

3. Once the data is sent thru wifi, how do I retrieve it at the PC/smartphone end, I want to be able to read and display the values of the sensors.

Please help me with this setup, I think it will be very helpful for the community to know how to manipulate such device.

Thank you

CON
    _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x                           
    _xinfreq = 5_000_000
VAR

long  data[4], stack[50]

OBJ
adc     : "MCP3208"
pst     : "FullDuplexSerial"
wifly   : "FullDuplexSerial"
CON
dpin = 12       
cpin = 13       
spin = 14      

PUB main
pst.start(31,30,0,9600)   
adc.start(dpin, cpin, spin, 255)  

cognew(wiflytoPC, @stack[0])

repeat
  pst.Str(String("adc channel 0= "))
  data[0] := adc.in(0)
  pst.dec(data[0])
  pst.Str(String(" units", 13))
  pst.Str(String("adc channel 1= "))
  data[1] := adc.in(1)
  pst.dec(data[1])
  pst.Str(String("adc channel 2= "))
  data[2] := adc.in(2)
  pst.dec(data[2])
  pst.Str(String("adc channel 3= "))
  data[3] := adc.in(3)
  pst.dec(data[3])
  pst.Str(String(13))
 waitcnt(clkfreq * 2 + cnt) 

PUB wiflytoPC
wifly.start(2,3,0,9600)

repeat
  wifly.dec(data[0])
  wifly.Str(String(","))
  wifly.dec(data[1])
  wifly.Str(String(","))
  wifly.dec(data[2])
  wifly.Str(String(","))
  wifly.dec(data[3])

waitcnt(clkfreq * 5 + cnt)                                                        

Comments

• The best thing to do is first get the RN-Wifi module if you haven't done so already. Go through the setup using the Tera- Terminal ( free download If you don' t have it) there are lots of commands etc. so get it connected and send some simple data back and forth. You can use the GPIO pins to talk to your prop. I use the RN-42, 52 Bluetooth all the time. The wifi version is a little more detailed.