$5 Line Follower Fun

2»

Comments

• And it's working!

One transistor was installed backwards. While the bot looks like everything is mirror-imaged (the LEDs are), both transistors face the same way.
    San Mateo, CA
  • ercoerco Posts: 17,950
    Perfect! Glad to hear that. Another satisfied customer. :)
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • It's the first time I've assembled a kit with no instructions. Technically, there were instructions, but a blurry photocopy in Chinese doesn't work for me.
    San Mateo, CA
    It's amazing that these kits have been around for a long time, yet Ebay sellers and Banggood just say "no English instructions". If you surf around, you can find plenty of photos of the finished item. IMO the only tricky part is mounting the phototransistors and illuminating LEDs, since they are just hanging down and need to be almost scraping on the ground. Maintaining alignment is very important for calibration, but these are easily bent (and/or pads broken off) in a collision when they go off course. I think the kit should include a simple front bumper to hang off the front skid bolt.
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Erco - No need to cut the trace when you've got an extra socket laying around.
    San Mateo, CA
    Another way to skin that cat! Did you get it working? Simple circuit mod but the pot adjustment is trickier than stock.

- Pablo Picasso
  • I didn't need to adjust anything, it just ran better.
    San Mateo, CA
    Thumbs-up-clipart-cliparts-for-you-3.jpg

- Pablo Picasso
    I enjoyed watching these Russian kids building their line follower kits. They're getting the jump on American kids, who are all dancing!

- Pablo Picasso
    edited June 20 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Just got my July SERVO print magazine, where I describe several non-programming robots including these $5 line followers in the Ask Mr. Roboto column:

http://servo.texterity.com/servo/201707/?folio=8&pg=8#pg8

The article looks good IMO, editor Robin does a great job on the layout and is super easy to work with. Once again, I encourage everyone here to submit an article for print publication. SERVO is a robot magazine, and the only game in town now that ROBOT magazine is gone. Hopefully it will survive and thrive for a while, but there are no guarantees. So right now. WRITE NOW!

Several forumistas have written for SERVO: Carol Hazlett, Bill Henning, Geo Leeman, Chris Savage, to name a few. It's a nice way to "give back" and get paid to help fund your future projects. Just get in the habit of taking photos and documenting your projects along the way. So much easier than taking your bot apart afterwards to take internal detail photos and trying to remember the tricky parts.

The editors are wide open to subject matter, most anything of general interest. Tech articles, tutorials, construction tips, combat weapons, product reviews, whatever. Check out the writer's guidelines at http://www.servomagazine.com/index.php/writers-guidelines and get crackin'! Tell 'em Mr. Roboto sent you.

- Pablo Picasso