Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My WIFI ESP8266 has Disappeared from my Network — Parallax Forums

My WIFI ESP8266 has Disappeared from my Network

Is there a master reset on this thing to return it to the original factory state? It has disappeared from my network and now I can see it. This is the second one of these I have bought because of this. I thought I had damaged the first one but my gut feeling is it is just a a setting. I wish I could just reset it. I cant find a trouble shooting section in the manual or any information about what to do if this happens.

Comments

• Are you able to connect a serial terminal to the wifi module and capture the output at 115200 baud when powering on the module?

Is this a sip or dip btw? You could hook a propplug onto the sip pins/pads if you have one.

If you can get that far, I could post a reset script for you. Just need a bit of time to document it.
  • FFAFFA Posts: 20
    edited 2017-03-04 14:16
    Yes on the serial terminal question.

I do have a prop plug.
  • Just a random thought - have you hooked anything up to GPIO0 or GPIO2? Those can interfere with the booting process. Typically you hold down GPIO0 and reset, then release reset, then release GPIO0 to get into a boot loader mode. There's a python script named esptool.py that you can use to erase the FLASH and reprogram.

I put a ESP8266 on a Sumobot, and found that if I connected a servo to either GPIO0 or GPIO2 then it stopped functioning as expected until the servos were disconnected.
  • If you could post here or pm me the ascii serial output, that would be helpful.

In the meantime I'll go get the reset procedure. Should be tonight.
  • KeithE wrote: »
    Just a random thought - have you hooked anything up to GPIO0 or GPIO2? Those can interfere with the booting process. Typically you hold down GPIO0 and reset, then release reset, then release GPIO0 to get into a boot loader mode. There's a python script named esptool.py that you can use to erase the FLASH and reprogram.

I put a ESP8266 on a Sumobot, and found that if I connected a servo to either GPIO0 or GPIO2 then it stopped functioning as expected until the servos were disconnected.
    GPIO15 is also used in the boot process. The ESP won't boot if GPIO15 is held high at power up.

• If your module is in a Propeller Activity Board WX, press/release RST four times. The Wi-Fi module should appear as an access point, and you can go to 192.168.4.1 and reconfigure. If you are using a different board, rapidly ground and then float the /PGM pin four times. Remember to switch from AP+STA mode to STA mode after you have joined the network and recorded the new IP address.

• FFAFFA Posts: 20
    edited 2017-03-04 19:49
    I have tried to ground the /PGM pin four times and no luck.

I can run a wire to the ground and to my five volt power supply header on my Board of Education and power it up but it doesn't show up on my network now. It did before. I'm about to blow a fuse myself over this thing. I have bought two of these wifi modules back to back and not having any luck.
  • What do you see out of the DBG pin on the WX module? Just connect DBG to RX on a PropPlug and GND to VSS on the PropPlug and open a terminal at 115200 baud.
  • 
     €l`$`ü

Flash config restore ok

Reset Pin: 12

RX Pullup: 0

DISCOVER: initialized

Version v1.0 (2016-11-02 18:04:30)

mount: flash ID 001640a1

mount: flash filesystem mounted at 00100000

Flash filesystem mounted!

Httpd init

Ready

mode : sta(18:fe:34:db:9e:1d)

add if0

scandone

state: 0 -> 2 (b0)

state: 2 -> 0 (2)

reconnect

scandone

state: 0 -> 2 (b0)

state: 2 -> 3 (0)

state: 3 -> 5 (10)

add 0

aid 4

connected with Tomato24, channel 6

dhcp client start...

cnt

ip:192.168.1.39,mask:255.255.255.0,gw:192.168.1.1

pm open,type:2 0

• Okay, have you tried connecting to it at 192.168.1.39?
  • No connection at the IP:192.168.1.39.
  • Is your home network 192.168.1.x?
  • That was the problem. There are two networks in my home. I must of been signed into the other when I set it up. Thank you so much.
  • Glad your up and running again FFA.
    - and good sleuthing DB!