Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to simulate 600lbs - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

How to simulate 600lbs

2»

Comments

• You can get some good ideas for cheap pneumatic actuators by googling Halloween haunted house animation techniques. A lot of them revolve around using cheap PVC pipe as cylinder material though, and sensible people will tell you to never ever use PVC to hold pressurized air because if it blows it turns into dangerous shards. But there are other solutions and ways to shield yourself for a short test.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2017-02-28 03:48
    localroger wrote: »
    You can get some good ideas for cheap pneumatic actuators by googling Halloween haunted house animation techniques. A lot of them revolve around using cheap PVC pipe as cylinder material though, and sensible people will tell you to never ever use PVC to hold pressurized air because if it blows it turns into dangerous shards. But there are other solutions and ways to shield yourself for a short test.

I have used 1.5" ABS pipe as the cylinders to open windows in a greenhouse using water pressure. Tested several 3 foot lengths up to 60 psi with none blowing. The maximum water pressure in was 30 psi, and the flow rate was limited, but as extra insurance I wrapped them with duct tape to contain shards in case of a burst. No problems since they were installed in 2010.

EDIT: Not that I would recommend ABS or PVC for 50 psi unless I tested them successfully to twice that pressure. Better to use steel pipe rated for that pressure or more.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    EDIT: Not that I would recommend ABS or PVC for 50 psi unless I tested them successfully to twice that pressure. Better to use steel pipe rated for that pressure or more.

I made a potato cannon out of PVC drain pipe, with hair spray as the propellant, pressures get pretty high. I have a book with directions to make bigger ones,. Author tested pressures on his designs, and tried to be as scientific as possible about it. :skull:

Alot of fun, especially when they don't make the pop cans with pull tabs anymore. Five of them stacked and taped together, and with a few drops of lighter fluid can launch a tennis ball over a hundred yards.
  • A '97 ZX-11 Ninja's wet weight is 601 pounds. Pick up an old one cheap and have some fun! Howzat for simulation boys!?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    A '97 ZX-11 Ninja's wet weight is 601 pounds. Pick up an old one cheap and have some fun! Howzat for simulation boys!?

Nice! Simulation and stimulation in one package.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    A '97 ZX-11 Ninja's wet weight is 601 pounds. Pick up an old one cheap and have some fun! Howzat for simulation boys!?

Alternatively, you can saw an 1172-lb Cessna 152 in half. Ain't that crazy lightweight? When I soloed and my 200-lb flight instructor was absent, that plane practically leapt into the air.