Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Quick WiFi Question — Parallax Forums

Quick WiFi Question

I bought a Board of Education in December and bought the WiFi module(SIP version). I have no luck programming with it. I just purchased a new WiFi module(DIP version). Will this work with my Board of Education? Do I just need to get the activity board or are the WiFi modules compatible with both boards? Can I simply drop it in the Xbee slot for either board and it work?

Comments

• FFA wrote: »
    I bought a Board of Education in December and bought the WiFi module(SIP version). I have no luck programming with it. I just purchased a new WiFi module(DIP version). Will this work with my Board of Education? Do I just need to get the activity board or are the WiFi modules compatible with both boards? Can I simply drop it in the Xbee slot for either board and it work?
    I think you can use the Prop BOE with the DIP WX module for wi-fi communications but you won't be able to use it to load code into the Propeller. That is the main difference between the ActivityBoard and the ActivityBoard WX.

• How about a propeller mini. Could I configure the the WX module to program my mini? If so, what pins to connect and what parts would I need?
  • FFA wrote: »
    How about a propeller mini. Could I configure the the WX module to program my mini? If so, what pins to connect and what parts would I need?
    Yes, that should be possible. You'd have to connect the WX to the PropPlug pins on the Prop Mini:

TX to DI
    RX to DO
    RESET to DTR
    GND to GND

• Awesome! That is what I thought. Thank you.
  • I thought it would be cool to use an ESP chip to make a wireless PropPlug but you'd have the problem of powering the ESP since there are no power pins on the PropPlug connector.
  • David is right - with the Prop BOE you'll be able to use it for web page hosting, but not for wireless programming (you'll need the Propeller Activity Board WX for that, with the DIP version). We try our best not to obsolete customer hardware, especially when it's used in school.
  • Thats frustrating, I would have purchased WX instead. I really was looking the best development board Parallax had to offer.

I am OK with using my mini instead and just sending information pin to pin between the two.
  • KednerpoKednerpo Posts: 46
    edited 2017-02-25 01:17
    David Betz wrote: »
    FFA wrote: »
    How about a propeller mini. Could I configure the the WX module to program my mini? If so, what pins to connect and what parts would I need?
    Yes, that should be possible. You'd have to connect the WX to the PropPlug pins on the Prop Mini:

TX to DI
    RX to DO
    RESET to DTR
    GND to GND

I just wanted to double check that this scenario should work for programming the mini wirelessly?

So far I'm not getting it. I have tried it using the prop plug pins 31,30 pins and tried it using pins 9 and 8 as it mentions in the tutorials.

The project builds but fails to load it into the mini.

I have been reading through as many of the forums as I can. Some posts say wireless programming can only be done with the Activity Board WX, others seem to say that you can program wirelessly as long as you connect a jumper from reset to DTR pin 18 on your WX module.
  • Kednerpo wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    FFA wrote: »

TX to DI
    RX to DO
    RESET to DTR
    GND to GND

I just wanted to double check that this scenario should work for programming the mini wirelessly?

So far I'm not getting it. I have tried it using the prop plug pins 31,30 pins and tried it using pins 9 and 8 as it mentions in the tutorials.

The project builds but fails to load it into the mini.

I have been reading through as many of the forums as I can. Some posts say wireless programming can only be done with the Activity Board WX, others seem to say that you can program wirelessly as long as you connect a jumper from reset to DTR pin 18 on your WX module.
    Actually, I made a mistake in my pin wiring. You will need to connect RESET to RTS since there is no DTR pin on the SIP header. And even then, you need a new release of proploader and the WX firmware that supports RTS reset and I'm not sure if Parallax has released that yet.

• edited 2017-02-25 06:32
    Use Wi-Fi module DTR to PropeIler reset (RST). It's hole-18 in the Wi-Fi module DIP package. 3rd down from top-right as you look at the labeling.

The firmware that supports RTS in the SIP header is not available on the Parallax site yet.
  • O.K.

From what I remember reading in other forum posts the DIP and SIP modules are technically identical just that they ship with different connector pins. Is that correct?

Right now I have the WiFi module SIP connectors connected as follows

SIP
    Pin 1 Vin to 3.3v on the Propeller mini
    Pin 7 DO to the RX on thePropeller mini prop connector
    Pin 8 DI To the TX on the Propeller mini prop connector
    Pin 10 to GND on the Propeller mini

I then have a wire soldered onto pin 18 on the DIP headers connected to the propeller mini RST

I have also tried connecting
    Pin 7 DO to pin 9 on the Propeller mini
    Pin 8 DI to pin 8 on the Propeller mini
    Per the training examples

No luck so far.

I have not yet tried connecting to the DIP pins 2 or 3 for DO DI but figured they would be the same as DO and DI on the SIP connectors.
  • From what I remember reading in other forum posts the DIP and SIP modules are technically identical just that they ship with different connector pins. Is that correct?

That is correct.
    O.K.

From what I remember reading in other forum posts the DIP and SIP modules are technically identical just that they ship with different connector pins. Is that correct?

Right now I have the WiFi module SIP connectors connected as follows

SIP
    Pin 1 Vin to 3.3v on the Propeller mini
    Pin 7 DO to the RX on thePropeller mini prop connector
    Pin 8 DI To the TX on the Propeller mini prop connector
    Pin 10 to GND on the Propeller mini

I then have a wire soldered onto pin 18 on the DIP headers connected to the propeller mini RST

I have also tried connecting
    Pin 7 DO to pin 9 on the Propeller mini
    Pin 8 DI to pin 8 on the Propeller mini
    Per the training examples

No luck so far.

I have not yet tried connecting to the DIP pins 2 or 3 for DO DI but figured they would be the same as DO and DI on the SIP connectors.
    You will never be able to use the propeller loader unless you connect DO/DI to 31/30 on the Propeller since the Propeller ROM loader always uses those pins. Any other pins including 8/7 are fine for data communications though.

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-02-25 15:30
    David is right. I missed your pin assignments. You need to use J3 at the bottom of the board using this schematic attached.

And don't forget Andy's post:
    Use Wi-Fi module DTR to PropeIler reset (RST). It's hole-18 in the Wi-Fi module DIP package. 3rd down from top-right as you look at the labeling.

RST is available on J3.

EDIT: I saw you soldered a wire to RST.

• Thank you all for your help.

I was hooking up RX and TX backwards. I didn't realize the RX printed on the Mini's Prop Plug connection was actually the Mini's TX port.
    Thank you all for your help.

I was hooking up RX and TX backwards. I didn't realize the RX printed on the Mini's Prop Plug connection was actually the Mini's TX port.
    So are you now able to load the Mini?
  • Yes! Success!

Able to load programs and run with terminal wirelessly!