Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Suggestion: elevate Forth to its own forum category — Parallax Forums

Suggestion: elevate Forth to its own forum category

The title says it all. The language is clearly a prominent part of the Parallax community. Given the amount of conversation that occurs on that one topic, it seems like it would make more sense to give it its own category. If you want to take this a little further, maybe add a new category tree:

Languages
Forth
C/C++
Basic
Spin

Comments

• The forum category "Languages" makes a lot of sense. As talk about languages are scattered throughout the forums. With the addition of Blocky, it would be nice to have a specific place for it.
  • Great idea!
  • Does it make sense to have a Forth category? 99% of all Forth posts are in one thread, and only a small number of Forth threads other than that one have been created over the past few years.
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2017-02-17 15:47
    When would a Propeller-1/-2 Forth topic belong in the Propeller-1/-2 or the Forth category?
  • Personally, I see all of us into Forth benefit most from the current mix. As it stands right now, passers by see the Forth topics right along with many others. If they get curious, it's all right there, and seemingly ordinary.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    Unpersonally: I do not see the language as decisive. It doesn't matter in which dialect you create BASIC. .(not to hurt BASIC)The problem seems to be, you can not write basic in Tachyon. So it is not a language and should not be subsumed with languages. Tachyon makes the propeller an extended HP35. So maybe one day this forum will evolve to a tachyon forum with a long path of history, so next generations can go back this path and dig for fossils .. ;-) Until then: never change a crawling system
  • The reason I would support a forth subforum is that it would be easier to have separate threads for separate topics. The current Tachyon thread has over 3.2k posts. For a new person getting interested in the language, where do they start reading?

There are many distinct topics in that thread (recent one developing words for the Lamestation is one I am particularly interested in) but it is not easy to see where the topic begins, and for older ones where they end.

Having a large number of Tachyon threads in the Propeller 1 subforum is not the solution, and having the Blockly stuff scattered in numerous subforums is also not optimum.

My recommendation would be a subforum for languages with sub-subforums for each language type (particularly since with the Prop 2 there may be more).

Tom
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Wait a minute...

We don't have any language forum categories here. Not even for Spin, which is the native language of the Propeller, or C, which is where Parallax's educational push has been recently.

Surely a category for the obscure Forth is jumping the gun a bit.

Yes, I know, there is the "BASIC Stamp" category but that is a different device. And we have "Propeller C - EDU", no idea what that is about but it get's precious little action.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    3.2K posts: just a funny event. For those interested in learning tachyon there are links to shorted documents. This single thread is a nice episode and who likes can browse the history of tachyon. Best if there is no thriller in the movie or if you wait for a next weekly address. I can assure: there is no fake news, all valid past!