SX20AC/SS aftermarket source

I've been keeping the Stache BASIC Stamp programmer alive for a handful of customers. It was originally built around the SX20AC/SS, but that is long out of production. There's hoarder's inventory out there, and I have quotations mostly from China that range from $16 to $78 (!!) per chip in quantities from 20 to 100. To keep it alive, I've started refactoring the circuit around an SX48, which Parallax still has at $0.78 each, but it is a pita to have to redo the pcb layout and to tweak the firmware. I thought I'd ask if any of you forumistas has or knows of a warm source for SX20s?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • We might have some at Parallax, Tracy. Send me an e-mail and I'll have Chantal check the secret stache, so to speak.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • I've been cleaning out my desk this past week and found a bunch of SX stuff I'm never going to use. You are welcome to it.

2 sx keys, 1 serial and 1 usb.
    1 sx28ac/dp
    3 sx48 proto boards
    1 sx tech board
    and... da da da daaaaaaa.....
    1 tube of sx28ac/ss chips... somewhere around 45 maybe 47...

-Dave.
  • Oh! great. pm's will be sent!
  • Tracy,
    I think I have some SX20AC/SS around. I will look and let you know. Maybe 20 or so...

Bean
    logo.png?503
    Esterline Research & Design
    thitt@esterlineresearch.com

We offer consulting on the following areas of expertise:
    Frequency Control - Micro-Controller/Processor Projects
    Test and Automation - General Programming and Coding
    Circuit Design - Board Layouts
  • Bean to the rescue! Where have you been?
    Infernal Machine
  • Hi Bean, good to hear from you!
    Please pm me if you locate some chips. It turned out that Parallax had none at all. Lots of SX48s but no SX20s. I can also use SX18. That was the very first layout and I still have the Gerbers.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,405
    Too bad you couldn't easily adapt the SX48 to fit into a SX20 slot. I had a customer who was desparate for SX28s and actually found some, but they were knock-offs and failed their testing. They were through-hole though, so I hooked them up with a board that converts the SX48 QFP to an SX28 DIP layout and they were able to wrap a final build of their product before moving to something else like an Atmel chip for the future.
    Chris Savage | Engineering Tech | Main Office: (916) 624-8333 | Direct to Tech Support: (888) 997-8267 | Website | Twitter | Google+
  • Tracy,

Since you mentioned SX18's, I have

5 ea. Ubicom SX18AC-I/SO, datecode AB0116AP (SOIC), and
    6 ea. Scenix SX18AC75/DPES, datecode AB9931AB (DIP).

Any and all are yours if you want them. Just PM or email me your mailing address.

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

We had many discussions at the galley table and there had been many honest attempts to understand each other's thinking. There are several kinds of reception possible. There is the mind which lies in wait with traps for flaws, so set that it may miss, though not grasping it, a soundness. There is a second which is not reception at all, but blind flight because of laziness, or because some pattern is disturbed by the processes of the discussion. The best reception of all is that which is easy and relaxed, which says in effect, "Let me absorb this thing. Let me try to understand it without private barriers. When I have understood what you are saying, only then will I subject it to my own scrutiny and my own criticism."  This is the finest of all critical approaches and the rarest.

The smallest and meanest of all is that which, being frightened or outraged by thinking outside or beyond its pattern, revenges itself senselessly; leaps on a misspelled word or a mispronunciation, drags tricky definition in by the scruff of the neck, and, ranging like a small unpleasant dog, rags and tears the structure to shreds.

-John Steinbeck, The Log from the Sea of Cortez
  • Tracy,
    This must be your lucky day. Not that I have the parts....But that I was able to find them.... ;)

I have 33 of them that are marked:
    PARALLAX
    SX20AC/SS-G

I assume 0751 is the date code of 51st week of 2007.

Anyway, they are yours if you want them (and I assume you do).

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I sent them to you.

Bean
    logo.png?503

• Wow! Indeed a lucky day! pm sent. The SX turbos on.

• They are on the way Tracy.

PM sent.

Happy to help out forum members.

Bean
    logo.png?503

• Thanks much Bean. There is no doubt in my mind that you have helped out this community and many of us individually.
  • Thanks, Bean and Bullopene, I have enough now to keep the Stache alave for a while!