Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
They can get away from the best of us — Parallax Forums

They can get away from the best of us

MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
edited 2017-02-10 15:21 in Robotics
Army drone missing from Arizona found in Colorado.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/army-drone-missing-from-arizona-found-in-colorado/

Question: Would you give it back? Or would you hack it, and give it new paint job?

Please no serious answers.

Comments

• A military drone with a 134 mile range found by a hiker in a tree 600 miles away?
    The explanation will be interesting.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I guess they would freak out if someone fixed up and sent it flying back home again.
  • The 134 mile range is the range of the control system--line of sight. The Shadow has an endurance of 9 hours and a cruise speed and quick-dash speed of 148km/h to 250km/h (80kt to 135kt)

John Abshier
  • RQ-7B Shadow is not the most elegant in our fleet. The military would go back to the drawing board, if it did come back reconfigured, how about a hippie motif, flowers and peace signs.
  • Here is a picture of a similar drone to get an idea of it's size.
    600 x 400 - 39K
  • They probably used an Arduino instead of a ELEV-8 Flight Controller. :)
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Publison wrote: »
    They probably used an Arduino instead of a ELEV-8 Flight Controller. :)

Okay, that was funny! LOL

:-D
  • One would think that they would have placed a tracking device on the thing or some sort of return to sender control in case it got out of range. It would be interesting to see the logic that messed up which caused it to get lost in the first place. But, considering its first flight was in 1991 and introduced in 2002, It wouldn't surprise me if the code has not changed much since then considering its use. I would hope AAI Corp is looking into the issue to see if it is just an anomaly.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2017-02-10 19:24
    Artificial intelligence routines noticed a trend in soldiers traveling outside of bounds on libo. The drone, and its AI desire to increase unit cohesion, started mimicking the soldiers behavior. Some say, it simply wanted to fit in. Unfortunately for the drone and the US Army, it also started to ignore the gas gauge. Statistics show the drone's human counterpart experienced this frequently, the drone was mimicking this behavior as well. Unfortunately for the Army, this ended at some random place, where upon the drone's arrival there was mad partying. The drone was subjected to NJP and made the entire battalion late for chow.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    I guess they would freak out if someone fixed up and sent it flying back home again.

For maximum effect you'd want to wait a few days.
    I was guessing it might take some time to get the wing fixed back on and hack it to fly back home I like MikeDYur's idea of the hippie motif, flowers and peace signs.

An airbase spotting an unexpected incoming drone would put the whole country on alert!
  • Finders keepers, isn't it?
  • Heater. wrote: »
    An airbase spotting an unexpected incoming drone would put the whole country on alert!

A quick stenciling of a hammer and sickle under the wings, would bring it down pretty quick.
  • This won't happen again, now that it is Propeller powered.
    600 x 399 - 30K
    Far out man!.