Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone here from Coeur d'Alene, ID / Spokane, WA area? — Parallax Forums

Anyone here from Coeur d'Alene, ID / Spokane, WA area?

Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax EngineeringPosts: 14,406
edited 2017-02-07 23:04 in General Discussion
At the end of February I will be moving to Coeur d'Alene and have found myself at a loss to find work in my particular field there, so far. Unfortunately my family there isn't in the know on the technology companies, so I thought I would look to a bigger pool of people more like myself and see if any of you have any advice for work in that area? Feel free to PM me or reply here. Thanks in advance.

P.S. - Telecommuting positions in my field are gladly accepted. :nerd:

Comments

• Chris. I'll keep a look out for you.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2017-02-08 00:43
    The only person I know there is Dan Gookin, who was originally from my home town of San Diego. He wrote the original DOS for Dummies book, and is the creator of that series. I haven't spoken to him in years, but he's a fellow book writer and computer/coding geek. I mention him because he's a member of the city council there, and so would be more tuned into the activities of the town than most. Besides being very entertaining to watch in his approach to politics, Dan seems a square shooter. Perhaps he's aware of local professional societies, user groups, or similar you might look into. From there you can network.

Sad to hear you're leaving Parallax, but good luck in your move. I know you as a good man with integrity, and I'm sure you'll find worthwhile employment.
  • Hey Chris, sorry to hear you are departing Parallax, but I wish all the best for you. Hopefully, you can get lined up with a school or something that you could support remotely with Stamp curriculum.

Not sure if they would have anything for you, but ACE Production Technologies is in Spokane. That's the company that makes the KISS-102 Selective Soldering Machine that Parallax has on the production floor (I have two on my floor and a third is ready for install as soon as I get power ran to the location).

Also, there are two EMS companies in that area as well: Keytronic EMS and Servatron. You should have no problem landing a Technician position at either place. (as a matter of fact, Keytronic has an opening for an Electronics Technician 2 right now!)

Good luck!!!
  • Have you thought of making any prop or Bs2 gadgets to sell online as a sideline Biz or coding in spin or pasm for people
  • What about Sunstone don't know if it's in that area
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    DigitalBob wrote: »
    What about Sunstone don't know if it's in that area

AFAIK Sunstone is in Mulino, OR which is about 400 miles away.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Publison wrote: »
    Chris. I'll keep a look out for you.

Thanks! I've been looking in the typical places, but some companies don't post jobs there.

The only person I know there is Dan Gookin, who was originally from my home town of San Diego. He wrote the original DOS for Dummies book, and is the creator of that series. I haven't spoken to him in years, but he's a fellow book writer and computer/coding geek. I mention him because he's a member of the city council there, and so would be more tuned into the activities of the town than most. Besides being very entertaining to watch in his approach to politics, Dan seems a square shooter. Perhaps he's aware of local professional societies, user groups, or similar you might look into. From there you can network.

Sad to hear you're leaving Parallax, but good luck in your move. I know you as a good man with integrity, and I'm sure you'll find worthwhile employment.

Thanks, Gordon. When you say city council did you mean Spokane or Coeur d'Alene?
    Hey Chris, sorry to hear you are departing Parallax, but I wish all the best for you. Hopefully, you can get lined up with a school or something that you could support remotely with Stamp curriculum.

Not sure if they would have anything for you, but ACE Production Technologies is in Spokane. That's the company that makes the KISS-102 Selective Soldering Machine that Parallax has on the production floor (I have two on my floor and a third is ready for install as soon as I get power ran to the location).

Also, there are two EMS companies in that area as well: Keytronic EMS and Servatron. You should have no problem landing a Technician position at either place. (as a matter of fact, Keytronic has an opening for an Electronics Technician 2 right now!)

Good luck!!!

Thanks, Andy! I'd love to teach for a school, but that would mean going back to school first. I did look at that posting and will be following up tonight. My resume is in a sad state. I never thought I'd have to update it again.

:depressed:
    DigitalBob wrote: »
    Have you thought of making any prop or Bs2 gadgets to sell online as a sideline Biz or coding in spin or pasm for people

I have thought about it in the past. But since then a lot of fine forumistas have created their own market and as such, I don't want to saturate things. I will probably do some consulting again. It's been 12 years since I was able to really do side work programming and building custom systems.

• Chris,

It's really sad that you are leaving Parallax but with your knowledge and skills you are bound to find something in your new locale. Although it does not solve your immediate needs, have you considered creating training classes on sites such as Udemy or edX? There are a bunch of courses on these sites but much of it is poorly put together and certainly a lack of Parallax representation.

Is the Boise area out of the question for you?
    JonM wrote: »
    Chris, It's really sad that you are leaving Parallax but with your knowledge and skills you are bound to find something in your new locale. Although it does not solve your immediate needs, have you considered creating training classes on sites such as Udemy or edX? There are a bunch of courses on these sites but much of it is poorly put together and certainly a lack of Parallax representation. Is the Boise area out of the question for you?

Boise is much to far away to be practical for me. That's a 7 hour commute one-way. :confused:
  • Publison wrote: »
    Chris. I'll keep a look out for you.
    I think @Duane Degn is in ID
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-02-08 17:48
    This is a real shake up.

hope this doesn't effect your highly qualified presence here.

Looks like Coeur d'Alene is somewhat a resort. A twent five mile long lake is a good size lake.

Thank You for all of your help on behalf of Parallax. And thank you for your special way of doing that.

Mike Y.
    Thanks Mike. Interestingly enough I came to CA in 2005 from Watkins Glen, NY which sits at the south tip of Seneca Lake (one of the Finger Lakes).

Seneca Lake is 38 miles long: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_Lake_(New_York)

As for my presence here, that will be directly dependent on whatever work I can find.
  • I'd love to teach for a school, but that would mean going back to school first.
    That may not be as onerous a requirement as you might think. You can get a CTE certification in Washington pretty easily through the "Business and Industry Route", and Eastern Washington University in Spokane can help to meet the requirements:

http://www.k12.wa.us/certification/CTE/Initial.aspx
    https://www.ewu.edu/cbpa/programs/business-and-marketing-education/business-ed-degrees/cte-plan-2

Chris, I know you'd be a good teacher!

-Phil
    Thanks Phil, I will certainly look into that. I have wanted to teach electronics since I was in High School and realized I knew more than my teachers then. :innocent:
  • Thanks, Gordon. When you say city council did you mean Spokane or Coeur d'Alene?

Coeur d'Alene.

http://www.cdaid.org/51/departments/council/council-members/councilman-dan-gookin

• Mr. Savage,

Much success to you in the new adventure.

DJ
  • I'm half Irish, so i'm going to bless you with an Irish prayer that I just made up, "May your fishing hole be close to home, an you catch your limit in time to have them for lunch".

I remember on a fishIng trip as a kid, getting up early a few times to make it to the fishing hole 17 miles clear across the lake before light. That was done with a 16 foot boat and a 10hp Evenrude.

Good Luck on your new quest.

• Mr Savage

Thank you very much for technical support over the years.

You can walk and talk at the same time so I'm confident

you will figure out what to do over there.

Bob
  • Publison wrote: »

I'm in Chubbuck Idaho (next to Pocatello). It's a long way away from Coeur d'Alene.

• Duane Degn wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »

I'm in Chubbuck Idaho (next to Pocatello). It's a long way away from Coeur d'Alene.

Are these indian names?

Coeur d'Alene sounds French.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    Are these indian names?

Coeur d'Alene sounds French.

So does Illinois, but it comes from the Algonquin term for the area. I'm not sure about the original pronunciation of Coeur d'Alene specifically, but it's probably a tribe's name, or the native name for the area. In San Diego we have La Jolla, pronounced "la hoya." The local Kumeyaay tribe is said to have given the name, but the Spanish settlers spelled it in their language in the way they heard it.

• According to Wikipedia,

The city is named after the Coeur d'Alene People, a federally recognized tribe of Native Americans who lived along the rivers and lakes of the region, in a territory of 3.5 million acres extending into Washington and Montana. They were first encountered by French fur traders in the late 18th and early 19th century, who referred to them as Cœur d'Alène, meaning "heart of an awl," reflecting their experience of the tribal traders as tough businessmen, "sharp-hearted" or "shrewd".

So, it's what the French named the tribe, not what tribal members called themselves.

-Phil

• French settlers made their way from Canada to New Orleans LA. One thing I remember from history class. No homework for me?
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    French settlers made their way from Canada to New Orleans LA. One thing I remember from history class. No homework for me?

BTW: I don't know how the French got to Canada, I'm assuming they caught the wrong flight.
    Thanks for all the help, well wishes and leads, everyone!

@Gordon - Thanks, I will certainly look into that.

@davejames - Thanks Dave! Most appreciated!

@Mike - A little Irish myself, so I can appreciate that. :cool:

@microcontrolleruser - Yeah, I can certainly multi-task. I just hope it doesn't go to waste.

A friend already suggested I will probably get a job teaching Lego Mindstorms or Arduino. :innocent:
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-02-09 20:54
    A friend already suggested I will probably get a job teaching Lego Mindstorms or Arduino.
    Your soon-to-be-adopted school district may be desperate enough for CTE help that you can teach using whatever platform you want. Here in Port Townsend, my teaching Spin with the Activity Bot scarcely raised an eyebrow. They were just glad to have someone who knew something about robotics.

-Phil
    Your soon-to-be-adopted school district may be desperate enough for CTE help that you can teach using whatever platform you want. Here in Port Townsend, my teaching Spin with the Activity Bot scarcely raised an eyebrow. They were just glad to have someone who knew something about robotics. -Phil

Whoohoo! Z80 it is then! :nerd:

...just kidding... :innocent: