Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone written a two stage 64k serial loader for the P1? — Parallax Forums

Anyone written a two stage 64k serial loader for the P1?

Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
edited 2017-02-03 05:32 in Propeller 1
I'm thinking of writing a cross-platform app to load more than the 32k limit of the Propeller bootloader. There have been so many times I would love to load a 64k file from the PC but can't. I downloaded Xojo so I'm keen to do more than play with it and figure that this might be a good start, unless of course someone has invented that wheel already?

Btw, I figure if after loading the 1st stage loader that runs off the crystal it can write directly to a buffer while another cog writes 128 byte pages to the EEPROM so that a full 64k load should take less than 3 seconds. This also means that I can distribute fully built Tachyon images too as they use the upper 32k of EEPROM for ROMS and extended dictionary etc.

Comments

• The propeller-load packaged with GCC is capable of loading COG images and other data to the upper eeprom space. It reads elf files so you need to package your binaries as elf files and put the eeprom data in the appropriate sections (should not be difficult to write a makefile for that) unless you are already using GCC.

Extracting the loader code or adding a command line parameter to load the upper eeprom should also not be too difficult to do. I must add that recent builds have removed the eeprom_cache.dat code that is required for that function but it is easily recoverable.

As an alternative I wrote a Java loader with the same features.
  • The newer proploader that will come with the next release of SimpleIDE could pretty easily have this ability added. It already uses a two-stage loader to load hub memory and also knows how to write files to an SD card.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    The newer proploader that will come with the next release of SimpleIDE could pretty easily have this ability added. It already uses a two-stage loader to load hub memory and also knows how to write files to an SD card.

Well that sounds like a solution but I'm wondering if the 1st stage loader can take it's crystal parameters from the target binary so that it can run at the correct clock setting. At 256 bytes/page at 5ms max page write cycle the EEPROM could well be programmed in under 1.5 seconds but THAT pretty much means we need to have a cog dedicated to programming the EEPROM while the data is being received serially. There would be two ways to verify correct EEPROM programming and that would be to verify each page as it is programmed although that would slow things down, or simply match a CRC16 which could in turn be stored in the EEPROM as a power-up integrity check. So the CRC verify would be a great deal faster since it can continue to read a full 64k sequentially at full 400kHz speed or even 1MHz speed since the 24M01s allow this.

• Taking the crystal parameters from the header of the file being loaded would be no problem. I wasn't planning on doing anything quite as fancy as what you're talking about with using a separate COG to write the EEPROM. I guess if you want to write the Propeller-side code I could provide the PC-side interface. Otherwise, I'll probably just use a single COG.
  • I wrote one in PASM for my DMX dongle project. It uses the SDSPIFEMTO driver. I use the FT245 parallel FIFO for prop to PC communications. I send a secret handshake via ExtraPutty and it jumps to a x-modem implementation in PASM. Obviously X-modem is not ideal for speed, but it does good enough to ensure integrity of the EEROM file, and is implemented in most terminal programs.

The rough part is how you implement to 2nd stage or not 2ndstage boot. I wound up using the last byte of the lower 32K. If it is non-zero, boot 2nd stage. The next thing I am implementing is a "reset" button to zero that byte if powered on with the button pushed.
  • PS: The 128 byte pages work fabulously with xmodem :)
  • Xmodem was made for modems, distance, telephone exchanges, noise, and all the unreliability of that transmission medium. I find a short USB to serial connection just as reliable as a data bus that just reads and writes data without having to packetize and CRC. Just send it raw, I can repeat that 1,000s of times without an error. Hence a simple CRC for the whole file.

As for the two stage loader I'm simply referring to a program that is loaded into RAM that then runs off the crystal with a simple receive protocol while maintaining a CRC. The second cog handles all the page writes to the EEPROM. So the first stage loads the code to the EEPROM and can verify the CRC of the EEPROM file and disable the EEPROM from booting if it is bad, as well as signaling a rare load failure serially. I'm cloning scores of Props over RS485 using a simple serial protocol, it doesn't need to be anything complicated for what is essentially direct connection, a "serial data bus".
  • Yea, I chose xmodem due to the convenience of not having to write the loader for the PC. (And the fact it fit neatly with 128byte blocks).

Yes, I don't mark the EEPROM bootable to the 2nd stage until the last validated block is received. Doing a real CRC (as opposed to multiple checksums like xmodem) for the whole file would work perfectly. When the CRC is valid, mark it as bootable.

I am thinking of doing something very similar for my DMX light controllers. DMX is RS485 at the physical layer.

Update the firmware of all of them at once :)
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2017-02-04 02:39
    ke4pjw wrote: »
    Yea, I chose xmodem due to the convenience of not having to write the loader for the PC. (And the fact it fit neatly with 128byte blocks).

Yes, I don't mark the EEPROM bootable to the 2nd stage until the last validated block is received. Doing a real CRC (as opposed to multiple checksums like xmodem) for the whole file would work perfectly. When the CRC is valid, mark it as bootable.

I am thinking of doing something very similar for my DMX light controllers. DMX is RS485 at the physical layer.

Update the firmware of all of them at once :)

Don't know how you'd go with updating firmware over DMX as although it is RS485 it does however operate in unidirectional daisy-chain which is rather limited. My ping-pong protocol is virtual full-duplex over a parallel multidrop bus so I can clone a whole group of devices in a fraction of a second when I am running at 2M baud. I suppose though that if the daisy chain is only at the connector level but then does the protocol allow group selection or would you have to do it one at a time.

Taking the crystal parameters from the header of the file being loaded would be no problem. I wasn't planning on doing anything quite as fancy as what you're talking about with using a separate COG to write the EEPROM. I guess if you want to write the Propeller-side code I could provide the PC-side interface. Otherwise, I'll probably just use a single COG.
    No comments on this?

David Betz wrote: »
    Taking the crystal parameters from the header of the file being loaded would be no problem. I wasn't planning on doing anything quite as fancy as what you're talking about with using a separate COG to write the EEPROM. I guess if you want to write the Propeller-side code I could provide the PC-side interface. Otherwise, I'll probably just use a single COG.
    No comments on this?

Sure, just catching bits n pieces of the forum as I'm in and out but that's fine by me, I can write some Spin/PASM code for the the Prop side to then handle the higher speeds and background EEPROM cog.

• I can send a special "Start code" and stop the DMX receiver cog and startup a receive serial cog that could load the new firmware. I could selectively do this for individual "fixtures" or all of them at the same time. Unfortunately I did not wire up the RS485 driver to transmit. (I didn't make that mistake on the DMX dongle side.)

I would love to take a look at your ping-pong fullduplex! Is that a part of Tachyon?
    David Betz wrote: »
    No comments on this?

Sure, just catching bits n pieces of the forum as I'm in and out but that's fine by me, I can write some Spin/PASM code for the the Prop side to then handle the higher speeds and background EEPROM cog.
    Sounds good. Just let me know the protocol "on the wire" so I can create the PC side.

• @David Betz - will do.

@ke4pjw - ping-pong networking or PPNET as I'm calling it now is embedded with the serial console and console output is mirrored and synch'd if need be to PPNET so it really is very handy for a virtual console connection, everything works the same way as a direct local full-duplex connection. If it is a single point-to-point connection then all console output is sent back a character at a time for every character (or null) received. If it is part of a group or global select then it simply listens and does not try to transmit. So at the higher level it can talk to Tachyon but built in are a variety of low-level commands including memory read/write as part of cloning. So if I make this a Spin/PASM object it can be used just as another object but I intend to also implement this in ARM/PIC/8051 assembly real soon to open up the bus to "itty-bitty" slaves.