Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hidden magnets — the next big cheat in cycling? — Parallax Forums

Hidden magnets — the next big cheat in cycling?

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    I'm sceptical. Aside from the risk of being caught, those sort of additions add weight. You'd be wanting it adding power all the time just to counter it's own negatives. Your average electric bicycle is not exactly an easy peddle machine.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Excellent. I want one.

I like the idea of an electric bike. What puts me off is that most of the ones I have seen on sale around here look exactly like my father bicycle but with an ugly, clunky, Heath Robinson style battery pack and motors bolted on.

This however is sleek and integrated. Nice if it works as advertised.

Now, what's all this about the next generation of the guys idea having the magnets and the coils all in the wheel? That makes no sense to me at all. Is this wheel/motor thing supposed to turn itself without push/pulling on anything external?

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    evanh wrote: »
    I'm sceptical. Aside from the risk of being caught, those sort of additions add weight. You'd be wanting it adding power all the time just to counter it's own negatives. Your average electric bicycle is not exactly an easy peddle machine.

Google cyclist caught with hidden motor
    and you'll find this has already been done.

Heater. wrote: »
    Now, what's all this about the next generation of the guys idea having the magnets and the coils all in the wheel? That makes no sense to me at all. Is this wheel/motor thing supposed to turn itself without push/pulling on anything external?
    I think this use needs something in the frame to work against.
    If you have coils in the rim, a magnet on the frame could work.
    Not sure if an induction motor type design could be made to work, as the coupling is far from ideal.
    Even a frame magnet is going to be very poor efficiency, and this will need some serious battery weight.

Any magnet or Iron surely makes this rather easy to detect ?

Of course it's done. Electric bikes are nothing new. My criticism is of the effectiveness as a tiny boost for a cheat.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    evanh wrote: »
    Of course it's done. Electric bikes are nothing new. My criticism is of the effectiveness as a tiny boost for a cheat.

Did you google the example ?
    Headline says "Pro Racing Cyclist Caught With Motor Hidden Inside Bike"
    Clearly, the 'tiny boost' was enough, to be decided as worth the risk.

• Detection certainly wouldn't be a problem, border patrols here in the US use a high power x-ray to look right through a semi-truck. The advantage given with such a motor would depend on the grade you were traveling, and the article did say it was good for about twenty minutes.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    I can't be the only one here who remembers the cheating electromagnet scandal that rocked the Soap Box Derby finals in 1973! I had competed the year prior in Washington DC.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/soap-box-derby-marks-40th-anniversary-of-famous-cheating-scandal-1.415481#

I'm no less sceptical. There's always idiots.
  • erco wrote: »
    I can't be the only one here who remembers the cheating electromagnet scandal that rocked the Soap Box Derby finals in 1973!

I remember that one, being from Akron, Ohio.

It is pretty sad when adults cheat in sports, it is pathetic when they help children cheat in a sporting event.

Don't know if some people will ever learn to do things the right way, and if they can't, just don't try.
    Law enforcement see's this every day, some dumb crook pulling a stunt that countless other dummies have been busted for.
    Makes a cop's job a little easier by researching example's.
    Then again there has been some high profile heists of money, jewelry and art. And the crooks got away with it.
    Yay, Ronnie Biggs of the Great Train Robbery. Kind of a national hero back in Blighty.

But, as Ronnie said "My life has been wasted."
  • Quite a take, money never found. Don't look like they enjoyed it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Train_Robbery_(1963)
    Yeah, I just had to check what wikipedia had to say about that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Biggs

For the time it was huge. I remember the news as a kid when it happened.

As far as I understand detective Jack Slipper spent his whole career trying to nab Ronnie. And failed.

Ronnie gave him the slip. As it were.

The whole story is amazing.