Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB device under Linux not working in PropellerIDE(SOLVED) — Parallax Forums

USB device under Linux not working in PropellerIDE(SOLVED)

MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
edited 2017-01-28 18:25 in Propeller 1
I have Linux Mint (Sarah) and the latest version of PropellerIDE, and as far as I can tell a Propeller device plugged into USB is recognized by the system, but not completely in PropellerIDE. The terminal program shows a device on USB-0, but baud rate can't be changed. Which leads me to believe that serial com is not working.

I have tried the suggestion of creating a new dialup user and it came back with "adduser: The user 'second_user' does not exist."

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

In the FTDI Drivers Installation Guide, I'm wondering if the following excerpt is relevant to my problem:
1148 x 590 - 138K
984 x 316 - 140K

Comments

• "I have tried the suggestion of creating a new dialup user and it came back with "adduser: The user 'second_user' does not exist." Substitute YOUR userid for "second_user" - that was just an example of how to add a user to a group. Type 'man adduser' at the the bash command line to get the documentation on how the "adduser" command works, what parameters it can accept, etc.

-Mike R...
  • pmrobert wrote: »
    Substitute YOUR userid for "second_user" - that was just an example of how to add a user to a group. Type 'man adduser' at the the bash command line to get the documentation on how the "adduser" command works, what parameters it can accept, etc.

I'm still finding my way around Linux, and after downloading and installing around 150 individual codecs and various other packages(10 games, 4 apps), one by one over a phone. Now I can play most multimedia files.

Then to have a bunch of dependency's broken over just one package. I'm a little restrained about messing around too much.

Thanks for the help, I will give that a try a little later.

Mike Y.
  • You shouldn't need to install codecs if you selected the codecs option at install time. Open users and groups and select yourself and add dialogue, all from a GUI. I will post a free screenshots soon.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-01-28 00:03
    You shouldn't need to install codecs if you selected the codecs option at install time. Open users and groups and select yourself and add dialogue, all from a GUI. I will post a free screenshots soon.

I took it for granted that the computer had to be conected to the internet, bypassed that option.
    My install was done from an iso image on dvd, which was downloaded on a phone.

"I will post a free screenshots soon."

How much for the paid version? :lol:
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2017-01-28 00:13
    I always copy my Linux images to USB Flash drives using either image writer or unetbootin, whichever works. Then I carry that stick around on my key ring, ready to plug in and fix someones computer and maybe even install Linux too. One of the many reasons I use Mint is the fact that they come preloaded with codecs, I don't want to have to muck around finding and installing them later. Plus I love the Cinnamon desktop, I usually have 9 workspaces and keyboard shortcuts using the windows key and 1-9 for snappy navigation. I also run a WinXP image in VirtualBox for some of those older programs but also for my Digiview logic analyser etc.

With Linux Mint get used to hitting the "Windows" key and typing in what you are looking for, in this case users. Here are the screenshots. I also have tty ticked in addition to dialout but I haven't checked to see if that is needed. On the second screenshot you click the "groups" section in the bottom right corner.

1241 x 1344 - 298K
    1244 x 668 - 56K
    646 x 956 - 66K
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-01-28 00:28
    Ahh!, some places I haven't explored. You are telling me that codecs are on the installation iso, I had the disc in the whole time.

I'll get to this tomorrow when my brain is fresh, been a tough day without computer problems.:)

BTW: I have one of those flashdrives made up, pretty cool.

Thanks for your time.

Mike
  • @Peter, The pic's were worth a thousand words. And it was two fold, that was my Bluetooth problem too. PropellerIDE is running perfectly in Linux.

Thank You so much for your help.

Mike