Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hollywood Robots — Parallax Forums

Hollywood Robots

I ran through Hollywood yesterday and saw these 'bots in a store. I didn't have time to investigate. I took a pic, instead. I thought I could just Google them, or find something on youtube of them in action. It looks like there's trivia and possibly Rubik's cube solving.

Anyone have more info?

The name of the place would be great, I want to see some video of them in action, else I will have to drive back up there.

Thanks.
1210 x 908 - 355K

Comments

• I'm guessing these are showbots?
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-01-28 00:52
    I'm guessing these are showbots?

xanadu,
    I tried Googling all I seen on your pic, came up with a dog robot. You missed the capture of the name of the one robot by thi-s much. Did you happen to see it?

EDIT: They look interactive, but doubt anyone can get to that console.
  • I don't remember the other robots name. You could walk right up to the console, it seemed more like a kiosk.

Maybe they're new Hitchbots and don't want to be found.
  • While searching "GWR robots", I came across this Rubic's Cube solving bot.

Pretty cool.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2017-01-28 21:53
    No address? Per Gordon, prolly showbots in Hollywood. Maybe Buck Rogers can tell you where they were spotted last.

Maybe they're a bit more useful than Paulie's showbot.

• Duane Degn wrote: »
    While searching "GWR robots", I came across this Rubic's Cube solving bot.

Pretty cool.

Duane, How come there isn't a closeup of this in action. It just looks a little shady where this robot is anchored to the cube, i.e. don't think the cube can be manipulated without the connections being detached and re-anchored at some point.
    Maybe I'm full of it and it's the small image I'm viewing, but it was done like a trick. Not giving a close shot when it was important.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    It just looks a little shady where this robot is anchored to the cube, i.e. don't think the cube can be manipulated without the connections being detached and re-anchored at some point.

The mechanics are sound. A Rubic's Cube can be manipulated as shown. I've taken many cubes apart in order to sand and lubricate the insides. The six center squares rotate in place as shown. (I used to be able to solve a cube in under two minutes which is now considered super slow.)

I think the video shows a cube being solved in real time several times. The problem is the movements are too fast for a normal video camera to capture.

I wish the video showed a cube being solved at slower speed.

I tell you, I'm fighting really hard not to add one of these things to my robotics todo list. I think it looks really cool. I'm convinced it's for real.

edited 2017-01-29 04:01
    Better order high speed servos.

• The Cubestormer 3 sure looks cool but the Sub1 looks like it would be a lot easier to build.

I can certainly see why some would claim Sub1 is cheating since it doesn't manipulate the cube in the same way a human would.

After a bit of searching, I think it's pretty clear the Sub1 bot is legitimate.

Here's a video from Guinness World Records' channel.

I don't really care about getting the bot to move fast, I just think it would be cool to see the bot spinning the cube sides.

If speed isn't a big issue, I think one could make the bot with smaller (and cheaper) motors.
    Wow, just wow. Do it, Duane!
  • DRCC, Duane's Rubic's Cube Challenge.