Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Radio Shack Gearmotors — Parallax Forums

Radio Shack Gearmotors

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
My local mini-Shack doesn't have any, but IMO these are a decent value for the Shack, if you can find any. Out of stock online too. Six DC gearmotors in three pairs from hi-speed/low torque to low speed/high torque. Plus 2 wheels, battery box and some mounting plates for $20. You can find cheaper on Ebay but most of those are the 1:48 high speed types which are too fast for good control. Every budding roboticist needs a variety of gear ratios to experiment with. https://www.radioshack.com/collections/maker-starter-kits/products/radioshack-robotic-gear-motor-kit

02770410_00_e7859036-4140-4027-907f-0bbeb226e938.jpg?v=1484170665

Comments

• Erco,
    Comesee me! I have them in stock at the Radio Shack where I work!
    Jim
  • That looks like a good value if they hold up, those brackets are worth a quarter of that price. Takes a lot of work to make them yourself.
  • Sorry Erco, too late, I just ran out!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2017-01-29 09:50
    You sold them all right after I posted? Gotta be a lurker who bought on my recommendation and failed to pay my 2%!

Edit: Actually I see they are now on sale for $14. Good timing and now a conspicuous bargain.
    edited 2017-01-31 22:15
    Saving money gets expensive! Per the photo of my haul, the Shack sells an identical gearmotor set under the Make:it brand, SKU #2770174, which doesn't even show up at Shack.com. But the Long Beach store had two of each, same $14 price. Had.

Nice little kits, the motor plates are steel. It was gqreat to see a well-stocked RS again. My local stores don't have that much, this store was 17 miles away. Art, the enthusiastic manager has been with RS since 1987. The "Art of Electronics".

Edit: These are on Ebay for $40+! http://www.ebay.com/p/RadioShack-2770174-Make-It-Robotics-Gear-Motors-Kit-Pl1-9748-2770174/1135852706

Sale prices: the mBot kit was $52.49, leg kit $17.49. Decent, not smokin'. Mr. Roboto has dastardly plans for them. mBot kit has an aluminum chassis (a bit like Boebot) but uses 48:1 (ugh) DC gearmotors. Includes mCore controller, Bluetooth/WiFi link, ultrasonic sensor, line following sensor and IR remote. Also includes a line following template of a... FIGURE 8!

20170131_125245.jpg

2560 x 1440 - 1M
  • Too bad they have such poor quality control on these motors. I got six (maybe it was eight) from a contact in China, and only three worked out of the box, and/or longer than just a few minutes. Some were the 1:48, which out-of-the-box are nearly useless for a robot with a 2-3" wheel. Oddly enough, that's what most online stores sell. Should be a law agin' it...
    edited 2017-01-31 22:55
    Uh-oh, Feetech? They def have some quality control issues. Not ready for prime time. I think quality varies widely, as Solarbotics has sold good versions of these for many moons.

Agreed, my position on 48:1 gearmotors (even ones that work!) is public record: Low! Usable ratios start at 100:1 IMO.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-01-31 23:35
    That chassis looks very customizable, lots of mounting points. Could put four wheels on it easily, skid steer.

EDIT: I forgot you are Mr. Minimalistic.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-01-31 23:30
    Just saw Parallax put the S2/S3 replacement motors up today.

https://www.parallax.com/product/750-28330

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2017-01-31 23:33
    I'm not sure these are "the same" as the Solarbotics motors, which I believe come from a factory in China that supplies some large namebrand toymakers. The yellow ones have all the appearance and QA of cross-factory knock-offs.

The motors I got weren't from Feetech, but I bet they were form the same factory(ies).
    edited 2017-02-01 00:08
    Publison wrote: »
    Just saw Parallax put the S2/S3 replacement motors up today.

https://www.parallax.com/product/750-28330

It's even got three caps in an ever-lovin' delta filter arrangement. Yikes, the photo looks like I soldered it. :)

The R &R video on that page is barely a month old. Hadn't previously heard about the three flashing red LEDs as a "replace motor" diagnostic. Wonder what their criteria is. Overcurrent?
    edited 2017-02-01 00:19
    I'm not sure these are "the same" as the Solarbotics motors, which I believe come from a factory in China that supplies some large namebrand toymakers. The yellow ones have all the appearance and QA of cross-factory knock-offs.

The motors I got weren't from Feetech, but I bet they were form the same factory(ies).

There are numerous Chinese knockoffs of even the DC motors used in these gearmotor assemblies. Mabuchi Japan is the original manufacturer of these small high-quality brushed DC motors for toys & such. Recently they just can't keep up with demand and lead times get ridiculous, opening the door for Chinese knockoffs. Even ten years ago, some of the motorized Hot Wheels sets I designed got dropped just because some "planner" forgot to preorder the motors from Mabuchi six months ahead of time.

As ever, my best stuff went on the cutting room floor...
  • RS_Jim wrote: »
    Erco,
    Jim

Which store is that? I found a set in the store in the Mall in Manhattan NYC. I might add a second set to that one.

--
    Now what is that crowd of bots doing on the ground in Siberia after a trip by air to the Bering Sea?
    Erco,
    Jim

Which store is that? I found a set in the store in the Mall in Manhattan NYC. I might add a second set to that one.

--
    Now what is that crowd of bots doing on the ground in Siberia after a trip by air to the Bering Sea?

Phoenix, Arizona
    Jim, do you stock that alternate part number?
    RS_Jim wrote: »
    Erco,
    Jim

--

Phoenix, Arizona

Oh okay... Too far for an afternoon's visit.
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,751
    edited 2017-02-02 13:48
    Erco,
    Not sure which part you are referring to?
    Jim
    Erco,
    Jim
    Oddly enough, the parts shown in the photo above are same in the box. Except the motors aren't wired.
    edited 2017-02-02 17:13
    RS_Jim wrote: »
    Erco,
    Jim
    SKU #2770174, same gearmotor kit branded Make:it, photo ~ fourteen posts back