Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Elev-8 V3 - first flight — Parallax Forums

Parallax Elev-8 V3 - first flight

Just finished building and flying an Elev-8 v3 - this seemed like the place to make some notes about it.

The Elev-8 is my first serious drone - sure, the market has other drones with a lot of new sexy features - but I wanted an open source product that I could modify. The technical detail and advice in 'Build Your Own Quadcopter' by Donald Norris is a good resource too.

This is a great kit. Everything you need is in the kit - and the instructions are detailed and very thorough. Very few kits in any industry meet this standard. I added the light kit to improve orientation. I built in my spare time over a couple of months.

First flight was about 10 minutes - in 10-15mph winds. Not more than 10 feet AGL and within 30 feet of the transmitter. The craft was stable and responsive - but definitely not for first time quad pilots. I landed and took off several times - ground effect didn't seem to be a problem. As with most drones - you have to stay on top of it all the time - it's like a 3 dimensional air puck.

Orientation, even with the light package, was difficult - probably because I wasn't used to the lights - I'm more accustomed to using the physical shape of the aircraft for orientation. I may add a ping pong ball.

I have several hours practicing with quadcopters - first with a simulator and then with small indoor drones. That practice made a lot of difference - I'm certain that without it my first flight would have been my first crash.

Comments

• Welcome aboard! Happy to hear your maiden went well :)
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2017-01-25 07:25
    Sounds like you're taking the right approach. Go slow at first - do small hops as you get a feel for it, start moving the nose around a bit to get used to different orientations, then push it a little with turns, circles, and figure-8's to help with orientation as you get more comfortable. Above all, have fun. :)

Happy to hear your experience so far has been positive, and if you have questions or feedback there are a bunch of lurkers here who like that kind of thing. If the questions are specific to the code or platform, most people post that in "robotics", though that's not a hard rule or anything.
  • I wondered what section to post in - the Elev-8 comments seemed to be spread out.

I don't suppose Parallax would consider making an Elev-8 category?

Yes - slow is the right approach. I was fortunate - some material online convinced me to get a Blade Nano - nice little BNF (see, no background in this and I'm already using the acronyms). It didn't take many attempts to realize that a quadcopter can get away from you in a hurry.

I'm interested specifically in agricultural surveying - quadcopters may or may not be the right approach to this problem, but a solid kit like the Elev-8 has at least made me aware of the complexity and issues involved.

• macirish wrote: »
    I wondered what section to post in - the Elev-8 comments seemed to be spread out.

I don't suppose Parallax would consider making an Elev-8 category?

Welcome to the forums!

Elev8 questions normally go the Robotics Forums. Would you like me to move it?
  • Sure - you can move it there. Thanks.