Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Information Won't Make Us Immortal - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Information Won't Make Us Immortal

2»

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    xanadu,
    You jump off a cliff to become immortal. I saw it in Highlander
    That is at least as good an idea as Elon Musk's :)

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Heater. wrote: »
    Hmm..breakfast.

I was very disappointed with breakfast in my hotel in San Jose. Only time I have been to the USA. Same one dimensional tasteless "healthy" Smile you get in Scandinavia.

If you want the 3 dimensional breakfast: bacon, eggs, beans, black pudding, toast, you need to be in England for the "Full English Breakfast" or Ireland for the "Full Irish Breakfast". Same thing really.

Or come to Canada. Three eggs any way you want them, bacon, ham, or sausage, home fries, toast (white, whole wheat, or rye bread), and a bottomless cup of coffee.
    kwinn,
    Or come to Canada....
    OK. That is my next plan in life.

Worst case was Denmark, where most of the bacon we eat in England comes from. I could smell the pig farms around the hotel. What did they have for breakfast? Muesli and yogurt. Grrr...
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-01-24 22:31
    kwinn wrote: »
    Or come to Canada. Three eggs any way you want them, bacon, ham, or sausage, home fries, toast (white, whole wheat, or rye bread), and a bottomless cup of coffee.

Nothing different here in the US, except for food tastes better in Canada. Maybe it's just a matter of being away from home, and your staples are about the same.
    But I think you have higher standards. Ice cream stands out, and my memory is 45 years old. I think that's still relevant today.
    I had been there a few times since, don't remember eating ice cream.

BTW: Heater should have got off the beaten path in San Jose'.
  • Well, I'm no longer confused, now I'm hungry.
    edited 2017-01-24 23:18
    MikeDYur,
    BTW: Heater should have got off the beaten path in San Jose'.
    Don't get me wrong. I had a fantastically great time in San Jose. I was lucky enough to hook up with distinguished forum member Jazzed (Mr SimpleIDE) for a couple of nights out.

I perhaps missed some "off the beaten path" action when my stay got extended and I had to find new accommodation for two nights. Every hotel was booked but I found myself a motel on the net. My taxi driver, Jerry, refused to take me there. "You don't want to go there sir, it's full of drugs and hookers". He then ran me around for half an hour and found a "safe" place. Which was pretty cool. No breakfast but Denny's was on the door step.

And, I was honored to be invited to Red Bluff for a weekend with Chip on the walnut farm.

Then there was the Sensors Expo and two other expos...

What more could an old geek ask?

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-01-24 23:25
    Heater, I don't blame you for not exploring too much. I recently watched a broadcast episode of "Drugs Inc."(Silicon Valley, at least 4 years old). It was a rude awakening of how our inner cities have deteriorated due to drugs. Better to stay in the light and with a crowd.
  • If anyone is in San Jose, then my recommendation would be to attend one of Aki Kumar's blues jams. Tues in downtown at Poor House Bistro, and Thurs at Little Lou's. (Ok - I guess that's really Campbell.) There are others on other days but these are in SJ territory. The house band has it together. Aki also has something that you probably won't find anywhere else - Aki goes to Bollywood or "Muddy Meets Mumbai".

There are definitely breakfast places that serve way too much of whatever you want. I've never heard of any hotels in the area serving health food though ;-)
    Heater. wrote: »
    kwinn,
    Or come to Canada....
    OK. That is my next plan in life.

Worst case was Denmark, where most of the bacon we eat in England comes from. I could smell the pig farms around the hotel. What did they have for breakfast? Muesli and yogurt. Grrr...

I'd be happy to show you the sights, great places to eat, and pubs/bars that serve good micro-brewery beers and tasty food if you ever came to the Toronto area. You would definitely leave heavier than when you arrived.
    kwinn,

Thanks for the offer. That would be fantastic. It's vanishingly unlikely that I will ever make it to Toronto though.

On the other hand, vanishingly unlikely things seem to happen to me quite a lot...

• I thought I would post this information to show where we are at in particle physics. Very interesting reading.

http://www.interactions.org/quantumuniverse/qu/index.html

These are the questions that hope to be answered by the particle collider at Fermilab.

QUANTUM UNIVERSE

WHAT IS THE NATURE OF THE UNIVERSE
    AND WHAT IS IT MADE OF?

WHAT ARE MATTER, ENERGY,
    SPACE AND TIME?

HOW DID WE GET HERE AND
    WHERE ARE WE GOING?

Throughout human history, scientific theories and experiments of increasing power and sophistication have addressed these basic questions about the universe. The resulting knowledge has led to revolutionary insights into the nature of the world around us.

In the last 30 years, physicists have achieved a profound understanding of the fundamental particles and the physical laws that govern matter, energy, space and time. Researchers have subjected this "Standard Model" to countless experimental tests; and, again and again, its predictions have held true. The series of experimental and theoretical breakthroughs that combined to produce the Standard Model can truly be celebrated as one of the great scientific triumphs of the 20th century.

Now, in a development that some have compared to Copernicus's recognition that the earth is not the center of the solar system, startling new data have revealed that only five percent of the universe is made of normal, visible matter described by the Standard Model. Ninety-five percent of the universe consists of dark matter and dark energy whose fundamental nature is a mystery. The Standard Model's orderly and elegant view of the universe must be incorporated into a deeper theory that can explain the new phenomena. The result will be a revolution in particle physics as dramatic as any that have come before.

QUESTIONS FOR THE UNIVERSE

A worldwide program of particle physics investigation is underway to explore the mysterious new scientific landscape. Nine interrelated questions define the path ahead.

ARE THERE UNDISCOVERED PRINCIPLES OF NATURE: NEW SYMMETRIES,
    NEW PHYSICAL LAWS?

The quantum ideas that so successfully describe familiar matter fail when applied to cosmic physics. Solving the problem requires the appearance of new forces and new particles signaling the discovery of new symmetries--undiscovered principles of nature's behavior.

HOW CAN WE SOLVE THE MYSTERY OF DARK ENERGY?

The dark energy that permeates empty space and accelerates the expansion of the universe must have a quantum explanation. Dark energy might be related to the Higgs field, a force that fills space and gives particles mass.

ARE THERE EXTRA DIMENSIONS OF SPACE?

String theory predicts seven undiscovered dimensions of space that give rise to much of the apparent complexity of particle physics. The discovery of extra dimensions would be an epochal event in human history; it would change our understanding of the birth and evolution of the universe. String theory could reshape our concept of gravity.

DO ALL THE FORCES BECOME ONE?

At the most fundamental level all forces and particles in the universe may be related, and all the forces might be manifestations of a single grand unified force, realizing Einstein's dream.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY KINDS OF PARTICLES? Why do three families of particles exist, and why do their masses differ so dramatically? Patterns and variations in the families of elementary particles suggest undiscovered underlying principles that tie together the quarks and leptons of the Standard Model.

WHAT IS DARK MATTER?
    HOW CAN WE MAKE IT IN THE LABORATORY?

Most of the matter in the universe is unknown dark matter, probably heavy particles produced in the big bang. While most of these particles annihilated into pure energy, some remained. These remaining particles should have a small enough mass to be produced and studied at accelerators.

WHAT ARE NEUTRINOS TELLING US?

Of all the known particles, neutrinos are the most mysterious. They played an essential role in the evolution of the universe, and their tiny nonzero mass may signal new physics at very high energies.

HOW DID THE UNIVERSE COME TO BE?

According to cosmic theory, the universe began with a singular explosion followed by a burst of inflationary expansion. Following inflation, the universe cooled, passing through a series of phase transitions and allowing the formation of stars, galaxies and life on earth. Understanding inflation requires breakthroughs in quantum physics and quantum gravity.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ANTIMATTER?

The big bang almost certainly produced equal amounts of matter and antimatter, yet the universe seems to contain no antimatter. How did the asymmetry arise?

OPPORTUNITIES FOR DISCOVERY

We live in an age when the exploration of great questions is leading toward a revolutionary new understanding of the universe.

"Opportunities have emerged for discovery about the fundamental nature of the universe that we never expected," Presidential Science Advisor John Marburger said recently. "Technology places these discoveries within our reach, but we need to focus efforts across widely separated disciplines to realize the new opportunities."

Quantum Universe is a response to that challenge. It serves as a guide to where the search for understanding has taken us so far, and to where it is going. The chapters that follow articulate how existing and planned particle physics experiments at accelerators and underground laboratories, together with space probes and ground-based telescopes, bring within reach new opportunities for discovery about the fundamental nature of the universe.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    The question should not be: are there undiscovered symmetries, but: how can I understand what a symmetrie actually means. Max Planck, in his famous paper, wrote sentences, that are misunderstood or underestimated until now! We did not digest the knowledge we swalloed and are still crying for more and more!
  • kwinn,

Your breakfast description just succeeded in making me terribly homesick.
    kwinn,

You could always come visit. I'd even buy you breakfast.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    kwinn,

kwinn did it! He got Courtney to chime in with a personal comment. Well done all.

I'm most accustomed to having my comments edited/deleted by a very professional Courtney (fully my own fault). It's nice to see the sensitive side of Ms Jacobs.
  • I do have a soft spot for my native country.

Since I'm technically off-topic and you're OP, you could always request (justified payback) that I moderate my own comments, erco.

you could always request (justified payback) that I moderate my own comments, erco.

Perish the thought! By all means, keep those cards, letters, and personal comments coming, please.

I may be visiting Toronto soon on business. My only visits to Canada thus far have been for pleasure, bicycle touring Boston-Montreal-Boston and Vancouver to Calgary, and running marathons in Vancouver and Calgary. Beautiful country, I'd miss it too, if I were from there.

Now the OP is OT.

erco wrote: »
    you could always request (justified payback) that I moderate my own comments, erco.

Perish the thought! By all means, keep those cards, letters, and personal comments coming, please.

I may be visiting Toronto soon on business. My only visits to Canada thus far have been for pleasure, bicycle touring Boston-Montreal-Boston and Vancouver to Calgary, and running marathons in Vancouver and Calgary. Beautiful country, I'd miss it too, if I were from there.

Now the OP is OT.

If you do come perhaps we could meet up for a beer or dinner. Always happy to meet a fellow forumista.
    kwinn wrote: »
    If you do come perhaps we could meet up for a beer or dinner. Always happy to meet a fellow forumista.

Awesome, will advise. Always nice to meet up with fellow forumistas & fanboys. I'm meeting up with Jim/Publison on my trip to New York Toy Fair in February.