Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Information Won't Make Us Immortal — Parallax Forums

Information Won't Make Us Immortal

An interesting read on why pressing the save button won't save us. : http://motherboard.vice.com/read/information-is-not-the-new-soul

Riccardo Manzotti is a Professor in Psychology at the Institute of Human, Language and Environmental Sciences at the University of Milan, holds a PhD in robotics, is the author of 50 papers on the basis of consciousness, and is the webmaster of consciousness.it. He has previously asked if pixels are driving out reality, and with Andrew Smart examined Elon Musk's assertion that we are probably living in simulation.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Trust in Physics...

If you want to know the most you can about me, then the most you can ever know is limited by the laws of Quantum Mechanics. You would have to know the quantum state of me.

But Quantum Mechanics tells us that cloning is not possible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-cloning_theorem

So I conclude I cannot be made immortal (with or without a consciousness or soul (whatever that is)), in the sense of copying my information to other hardware.

But even, philosophically, what if I could be cloned. Up loaded to some other hardware? What of that "soul"/"consciousness" thing? When you set fire to my hand I feel pain. There is some essence of me, that is yet to be described in any mathematical or physical model, that feels pain. What if I set fire to my clones hand? He may scream and shout like me. A brain scan might show all the same neural activity. But how can I be sure it is actually feeling pain like me?

And what about that simulation idea? Well, who is the observer of that simulation? Yeah, that's me. Presumably I am outside of the simulation. Or at least nobody has suggested a way my awareness can be simulated to my satisfaction. So it makes no difference if there is a simulation out there of "reality".

Meanwhile, thermodynamics says that entropy always increases. We are all doomed to chaos no matter what.

Sorry, no immortality there.

But yes, pixels are driving out reality. But that is a different issue.

• Heater - so you're not afraid of Roko's basilisk? By the way apparently that's classified as a potential information hazard, so investigate at your own risk. ;-)

I'm not sure what we're supposed to do differently if we're living in a simulation? Buddhists have talked about emptiness for a while now (e.g. Heart Sutra), but that's a bit different.
    Well, I might be afraid of Roko's basilisk if I could find a link to the original argument.

I think the whole computer AI thing is a side show.

I might suggest that we humans are building some kind of intelligent thing that we do not understand. With ourselves as components.

Consider: By all accounts your brain is made up of billions of brain cells. Connected to each other in trillions of different ways. Not one of those cells knows or cares who you are. But working together they are you. You are the result of all those dumb cells connected together.

So, by analogy, I might speculate that all us humans, connected to each other via the internet, are creating an intelligent thing. Each one of us is a "dumb" cell in the overall thing.

Like us humans that never think about the well being of our brain cells so much, that "super thing" does not know or care about individual humans much.

Emptiness...

You are one.
    I am zero.
    Without me, you are nothing.

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    @Heater:
    Yep, that's called "culture". That's what made us able to end up in this technological civilization, filled with stuff which none of us can make. But human culture can. Even something as "simple" as a stainless steel table knife is very difficult to make from scratch without a lot of people involved. Take away the knowledge about how to create stainless steel and it's orders of magnitude more difficult - the setup which made it possible to stumble over the discovery needed the industrial revolution well behind it.
    Or look at ants and what that collective organism can do.
    edited 2017-01-23 23:16
    Certainly "culture" is what we call it.

Never mind the table knife. Last night I was watching a video of the history of the Japanese semiconductor industry. There was a chip fab plant holding a party for people from the 500 suppliers the plant depends on. Each of which in turn depends on hundreds of suppliers....

It's amazing the complex web of millions of people everything we take for granted today depends on.

"culture" is also the term biologists use for that bunch of cells they grow in a Petri dish!

I was hinting at something more. What if we individual humans are as insignificant as the neurons in your head? What if the interconnections we now have between us are like the synapses joining those neurons together? What if the resulting intelligence of all that is as far above us as we are to our brain cells?

The human race, as a whole, as an intelligence that no human could ever glimpse.

• What if this planet we live on is just an insignificant cell in a bigger brain.
    edited 2017-01-24 00:26
    MikeDYur,

You mean like, the whole galaxy is a huge brain? Or perhaps the whole universe is a brain-brain?

Hmm... If we accept that the universe as we know it is only 13 billion years old. And the speed of light is so slow. Then perhaps there is a limit to this idea.

We might just be "cells" in the first planet sized brain.
  • Heater, Yes the whole universe is a big brain, certainly this planet's accumulation of knowledge could be just a small part of a possible whole. We think we are so smart, maybe it's just a small fraction of a collective. We only know what we can see, touch and investigate. Surely that isn't all there is.
    The wonderful thing about mathematicians, physicists, scientists in general is that they don't think "we are so smart". Mostly they are in awe of what they don't know. Which is why they continue investigating enthusiastically.

Of course the mathematicians know more than we can "see, touch and investigate". They can prove truths well beyond that day to day stuff.
  • MATH is what it all boils down to, the different approaches still arive at the same answer.

Theory's like String or "M" (Matrix), theory, have mathematicians baffled for a complete answer.

It is wonderful how exacting this creation actually is.
  • What if our reality is just noise in this bigger meta-system?

Make the best of your reality, whatever it might be.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    What have you guys been ingesting?
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Magic smoke.. 5V/9V vs 3.3V again :)
    Don't worry. It's just wild fantasy brought on reading too much philosophy and being exposed to some wacko ideas in maths and physics.

Or was it that fumes from that fluid I was using to clean flux off of PCB's yesterday?
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    edited 2017-01-24 12:45
    there was a conversation between an Imam and a physicist. Said the Imam, humbly: You are in advance, you know, but we have to believe. An the unsaid answer was: You are happy, because you know, that you believe while we believe, that we know!
    The idea behind AI might be: it is cheaper than to educate. But AI consumes nothing but energy, so this is bad for business. I personally see no chance since I know, that every neuron creates about 1000 synapses AND (not logical and) even a single synapse can have two connections, where the runtime of the signal from one to the other connection determines functionality.
    But we are in a time, where zero has a high potential and even a blank playes an important role: insert a blank in the right place and everything changes: the ideal president

MikeDYur,
    MATH is what it all boils down to, the different approaches still arive at the same answer.
    Not so fast.

In maths we start with some simple assumptions. The "axioms". We then combine and tweak with those deriving all kinds if interesting facts and formulae. Like Pythagora's Theorem, the Quadratic Formula, Calculus, .....

However, change you basic assumptions, those axioms, and the following manipulation will lead you to very different results. For example, Euclidian geometry assumes a kind of flat and straight space to work in. In which parallel lines never meet, the angles of a triangle add up to 360 degrees and so on. Change that assumption of "flatness" and a "non-eclidian" geometry allows parallel lines to meet and the sum of the angles of a triangle not to be 360 degrees.

Another example. Under our normal assumptions the sum of all the integers, 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ..., is infinity. Change the assumptions a bit and the infinite sum comes to -1/12.

So it seems Maths can be used to prove almost anything if you start from the right axioms.

That is why we need Physics, to keep the mathematicians on the ground!

As far as I understand this is the case with string theory. It can arrive at almost any model of "reality" depending on a bunch of assumptions you can plug into it. There is no particular reason to select one solution over the billions of others. String theory has no predictive power.

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-01-24 15:31
    This is why I don't get something done in robotics, I'm farting around in places I shouldn't be. Without a fundamental foundation in Math & Physics I can understand your overall conclusion, but the way you got there is a mystery. Actually if I read it a few more times a may get a grasp. ;)

This man is supposedly the father of String Theory, he had brought the five different ways of looking at it, down to a single conclusion.

We know four different dimensions or degree's of freedom: Time, Space(x,y,z), String Theory adds six more dimensions, plus one more for M Theory. For a grand total of (11) Eleven.

Yet Physicist's that believe in these extra dimensions, think that they all reside on a membrane, a flat plane. Very confusing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Witten
    I don't know anything about string theory. Only those explanations for laymen that don't generally tell you very much. My undergraduate studies in quantum mechanics and such decades ago was enough for me. However I have seen that a lot of Physicist's don't buy into the idea yet. String theory seems to be able to predict billions and billions of possible universes, depending on the parameters you plug in. There does not seem to be any experimental way to test string theory. As such it has no predictive power and seems to have fallen out of favor in recent years. Or so I hear. People like Professor Penrose reject the very idea of all those extra dimensions, with some quite compelling arguments.

Luckily we can get a lot done in robotics and such without such extreme mathematical effort :)

Not confusing, just unusual. We do not understand three dimensionall space, we only are used to see space threedimensional. Why I tell this? The earth is flat. period. That is just an alternate truth. True as long as you are not able to climb a tree, to fall into a pit. You only need to coordinates to coordinate your placement. If you stand in front of a garage door you very likely will tell it is a wide as high, but if you measure you will see, it is much wider than hit. You overestimate hight, as it take much more effort to reach the summet of a mountain. Imaging, the deeped coal mines are about 1 mile deep, but in the plain, 1 mile is just nothing. We as human beings are made from atoms and the energy level of molecular bindings is in the range of a few electron volts. So our energy density (as humans) is limited. But our building blocks internally have binding energies of millions of volts, so internally you can have folded dimensions that don't come to the surface. The confusion comes from the fact, that the local existence of a higher dimensional space is transfered to outer space, what for reasons of energy conservation can not be real. In a more simpler example: We know, that whenever we sample a signal, the sampling frequency must be at least twice the frequency of the highest component in the signal. If this condition is not met we might see a very high frequency at high amplitude, which in reality is the "echo" of a low frequency. BUT if you know the energy content of a signal, then you can clearly say: if this component would reflect the high frequency, the energy of the system would exceed given bounds, so it MUST be the low frequency. Just make use of direct intelligence(DI) and you will not need artificial intelligence (AI) (But, being no native speaker I question: why is artificial intelligence not artificial genius? Because intelligence means something else? )
    Without googling any dictionary definitions I would think that "intelligence" is generally taken as just a notion of how smart a person is. How well they can reason and understand things, how creative they can be with what they know. "genius" is just a name for those on the high end of the intelligence scale, especially if they use their intelligence to come up with something very useful that everyone marvels at. The opposite of "stupid" I guess.

I'm not with you on the flat Earth argument. We don't need to climb trees or fall into pits to convince ourselves the world is not flat. Simply measure the angle of the suns rays to the ground at different latitudes. This was done many hundreds of years ago and a pretty accurate estimate of the diameter of the Earth was made then.

It's often said that we cannot visualize more than three dimensions. However Nobel Prize winner Frank Wilczek suggested we do that all the time. We can imagine multiple dimensions as we do the pixels on computer monitor. For each one we have the usual dimensions of space, x and y. Also for each one we have three colour components R,G,B. The images can move with time t. So we already visualize 6 dimensions. Or 7 if we extend that to the three dimensional world we live in. x, y, z, r, g, b, t.

• Didn't Sheldon Cooper give up on string theory? That in itself convinces me.
  • Didn't Sheldon Cooper give up on string theory? That in itself convinces me.

LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bang_Theory

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Heater, I'm pleased to see that you are an open supporter of the XYZRGBT world. That's very progressive and open minded of you. God bless!
    When I said the world is flat, it was to show that dimensionality is a question of being able to overcome potential energy. Imagine you are a tile on a floor. You can move forward backward as you like, but if your movement is limited to a line and a second tile is on the same line, they can never pass. In that case the world for the tile is one dimensional (only the line), even when the tile itself is two dimensionale (width and length) and even when the tile is threedimensional.
    Imagine you have to steel balls. If the run a pathway with same speed and opposite direction, the eventually will collide. And be reflected. But if the balls are identical, you can not discriminate if they are reflected or just passed through each other. That means: dimension is nothing "real", something that exists on his on, but something that "reflects" the behavior of entities.
    An electron has no diameter, because whenever two electrons are collided they behave like deflected by electrostatic charge. While Protons can hit each others and be disintegrated. So if you shoot one electron from one side and a second from the opposite you will alway detect an ariving electron, but you will never know it the electron comes from the other side or if your electron collided and was reflected. Thats the true origin of altenate facts. You do not know, what is true, but that doesn't matter.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    There does not seem to be any experimental way to test string theory.

Isn't that one of the reasons why we have built atom smashers like Fermilab and Cerne, to prove / dis-prove such exotic idea's. If it can't be proven in a lab, it's just theory.

ErNa wrote: »
    Not confusing, That is just an alternate truth.

Is that like "alternative facts", two words that had made the news lately. Alternative facts are not facts, quoting a news moderator recently.

Thank you for the explanation, this will take a couple of re-read's. I had to go outside in my 3D backyard and clear my head.
    On the way back I evaluated my garage door again.

kwinn wrote: »
    What have you guys been ingesting?

This morning it was a three dimensional breakfast.
    French prefer one dimensional breakfast, germans two dimensional and my impression from hotels is, americans like it 3-dimensional.
  • ErNa wrote: »
    French prefer one dimensional breakfast, germans two dimensional and my impression from hotels is, americans like it 3-dimensional.

Chip please don't read on..

If it's only twice a week: scrambled eggs(2), sausage patties(2), fried potatoes(what ever is left), buttered toast(2).

My father always said, he can assimilate a breakfast like that. You couldn't take away his fried potatoes.

Is that four dimensions?

I hope I don't pay for it someday.
    Hmm..breakfast.

I was very disappointed with breakfast in my hotel in San Jose. Only time I have been to the USA. Same one dimensional tasteless "healthy" Smile you get in Scandinavia.

If you want the 3 dimensional breakfast: bacon, eggs, beans, black pudding, toast, you need to be in England for the "Full English Breakfast" or Ireland for the "Full Irish Breakfast". Same thing really.

I love these extra dimensions...

Say you arrange a lot of radius 1 circles on the 2D plane in a square grid. All touching each other. Then you see there are these empty spaces on the diagonals of four adjacent circles. Those empty spaces are too small to put one of your circles into.

One can do this in 3D. In this case piling a bunch of radius 1 spheres in a cubic lattice. Again there are these spaces between 8 adjacent spheres. Those empty spaces are bigger but still not big enough to fit one of your spheres into.

We can continue this sphere stacking in 4D, 5D etc...

But here comes the magic part. When you get to 8 dimensions those gaps between all the adjacent "spheres" are exactly big enough to fit one of your spheres into!

• You jump off a cliff to become immortal. I saw it in Highlander :)