Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$10,000 Quadrillion Asteroid — Parallax Forums

Comments

• It's rather moot since we lack the technology and propulsion systems to do anything with it. Maybe if the U.S. hadn't mothballed it's research into nuclear propulsion systems if would be a different story. As it stands all we have now are some rich computer geeks playing with what amounts tech copied from NASA or using old rocket motors from Russia.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    What a croc! If they bring it back to Earth it will crash the world economy???
    It will crash the world economy just to bring it back!!!
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    it's daily mail.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    [Rant}
    Of course the writer of that article would choose a name for the number that sounds impressive but can be one of two values. Which meaning of Quadrillion is it? Is it 10,000 times 10 to the power of 15, or 10,000 times 10 to the power of 24? Why not use the well defined SI units and call it 10,000 Peta bucks, or 10,000 Yotta bucks. Either way that’s a lotta bucks.[\Rant]

There is so much mis-information and false information on line, on TV, and in print, that it’s hard to believe most of what we read, hear, and see.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    I'm so old I remember movies like Armageddon and Deep Impact, where people DIDN'T want an asteroid to come to earth. This must be the new common core math.

PS: Why didn't the dinosaurs all become billionaires when their asteroid came?
  • The top 1% hoarded it for themselves. The 99% protested and went on a hunger strike.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    erco,
    Why didn't the dinosaurs all become billionaires when their asteroid came?
    I suspect the survivors did. That is why the governments of the world are now run by reptiles.
    :)
  • YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2017-01-18 20:35
    Heater
    Heater. wrote: »
    erco,
    I suspect the survivors did. That is why the governments of the world are now run by reptiles.

Or, according to Lida Xing discoveries, the reptiles actually resemble some featherless vultures! :D

Henrique
  • When the asteroid came for the dinosaurs, the only continent with a temperate rather than tropical climate was Antarctica. It is of course now rather difficult to recover fossils from Antarctica, and I have long harbored the suspicion that a human scale intelligent dinosaur evolved but did not expand worldwide because of the three story tall eating machines infesting the other continents. This species looked to space instead, and their cool plan to move an asteroid into Earth orbit misfired.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    The Gulf of Mexico has seen its fair share of excitement, that's where the dino asteroid hit.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/scientists-gear-drill-ground-zero-impact-killed-dinosaurs

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Heater. wrote: »
    erco,
    ROFL :)