Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
***2017 Goal: Looking for Like Minded Embedded Engineers/Roboticists to Collaborate on Products — Parallax Forums

***2017 Goal: Looking for Like Minded Embedded Engineers/Roboticists to Collaborate on Products

Hey everyone, I am generally too busy to hang out on forums or even check them anymore. But, I know there are a lot of good quality "A" players here as Jobs would say :) I am looking for some collaborators to work on projects and products both small and large. It's very hard to get anywhere without a small team, and although I make a good living at doing things by myself, there is simply too much to do these days even for small projects. That said, what I am looking for is like minded embedded/robotic engineers that have a passion for gaming, retro, single board computers, IOT, wearables, A.I., robotics, smart toys, and taking this information and building products out of it. I don't like to tinker, hobby, etc. I do this for a living and professionally, so I like to start and finish things, manufacture and ship them -- see what happens. Basically, big "kids" with the open mindedness of youth, but the experience and wisdom of age...

I moved to Austin from Silicon Valley a while ago, and there are 1000's of engineers here, but seems that everyone loves the idea of starting a products, but none can finish, get bored, or don't have the resources to do it.

Alas, I am looking for a few people to collaborate on with my products, their products, kickstarter products, etc., and to start with very small projects and work our way up.

It takes an enormous amount of discipline to come up with an idea, execute it, design, prototype, manufacture it, and sell it. I am looking for people that have done this, so we are on the same page, or willing to really be open minded to how its done. But, most important looking for people that really have the TIME to work on things consistently. I keep meeting "2 week wonders", people get all excited then in 1-2 weeks its my wife this, my job that, my back, my house, whatever -- we all have lives, but it takes months and months to get something done (that's why I like small products to start), so product dev is a marathon.

That said, I have developed dozens of products myself from the electrical design, software, firmware, mechanical, packaging, manufacturing, biz dev and sales, so I know the whole pipeline, I just am sick of doing it all myself!

So, if you're really serious about working on some products this year, and want to collaborate, send me a PM and we can talk. I am currently in the final lap of developing a Credit Card Game Console (like the Arduboy on Crack) and a Smart Watch (10X more powerful and feature rich than the Peeble). But, these things takes years, and while I am finishing, I want to do some quick n dirty products in my areas of interest; robotics, retro computing, IOT, wearables, and related tech. Bottom line, 1-2 month products, simple stuff to try on kickstarter, and get a feel for the dynamic of the platform. Not 1-2 year products, I am already doing that.

Alas, you should be pretty senior, have a lab, resources, so we are both bringing a lot to the table. And you should be seasoned enough to realize, EVERY product becomes HELL 5 mins after you start, it becomes WORK, and NOT fun -- nothing is fun that is on a schedule, so you should be thru your phase of switching gears and never finishing anything. I have many friends in EE/embedded that puts around and NEVER ship a product, they start 100's of them, but never ship one. So, I am looking for people that can SHIP! And want to work with someone that's got their back, and will work on it until its done.

We try, 1,2,3,5 things, sooner or later something will stick and sell well.

Anyway, hopefully, I hear from some of you that are ready to really focus and get some products done this year, but can't find the right collaborators.

Andre' LaMothe
ceo@nurve.net

Comments

• I'm sure you have received plenty of PMs by now so this post is more about acknowledging your post which to me displays quite some hopefully well founded confidence in the quality of us forumistas. It's good to hear from people who actually build products :) I know that part of "sick of doing it all myself" that you might be referring to, the "all" part!

As fun as a project is when it first starts the real fun and satisfaction for me is seeing the finished product, chromed and polished to the nth degree, out there, in operation, and better still in widespread use. Even though I'm tough on myself I'm however a lousy employee but would love to hear more about what you are up to plus I'm not bad for some "cut through the fluff" ideas and feedback.

Cheers,
    Peter
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    Hello Andre, nice to have you back again. I bought one of the last Hydras (still in Ken's Office) because there was no chance to visit Parallax and celebrate PII's inauguration. In the meantime it makes sense to continue to develop Propeller based products. We decided to use the Quick Start form factor making some additional boards like stepper, I/O, analog.. And we will use Peters IoT5500+P8 and hopefully Tachyon more frequently than today. One project idea is to create building blocks for home automation (like everybody does) but in a different way: not to make it cheap in the first attempt, but to make is useful. Like a shutter controller, that also measures humidity and temperature, has a microphone to detect intrusion, ... etc. All connected and fully programmable and configurable on the fly. But it takes many to make a successful product, as you know, so these are our steps we did and we are ready to contribute.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Collaboration is the key! Agreed, we have some smart cookies here and if you leverage everyone's particular skillset, there's nothing the whizzes here can't do. I'm constantly awed by the talent pool here. 2 or 3 of the right people together is a company with lots of potential.

AndreL, all that is missing is the right leader to herd these cats in the right direction. High time somebody here made a million. There's certainly a fair amount of risk, luck and timing to any success story but if you surround yourself with talented, motivated people, you certainly tip the odds in your favor.
  • I passsed through austin for a short stay around 2011-2013. Fun place but too hot for me. It takes a certain mindset to complete things and bring it to market. I don't think you can instill that in people or bring it out of them. You sort of have it or you don't imo. May be some exceptions. But the good news is you can hire talent to execute your own great ideas in many cases. The leader must possess the trait to see it through. I created a propeller based gadget and have over 1.75m in sales. A one man operation. Blood sweat and tears to make it happen. Always looking for new ideas and have some but the problem is always having the feeling that it can sell at a level to create the motivation to continue. My ideas are always niche it seems. Fortunately high ticket with some marketability. I recommend The Lean Startup for all interested in starting something. It taught me a lot. The main concept is the Minimally viable product to see how to proceed or quit. Knowing when to quit is a valuable quality on its own. I have abandoned projects much earlier as a result of having a better sense of when to cut bait.
  • T Chap wrote: »
    I passsed through austin for a short stay around 2011-2013. Fun place but too hot for me. It takes a certain mindset to complete things and bring it to market. I don't think you can instill that in people or bring it out of them. You sort of have it or you don't imo. May be some exceptions. But the good news is you can hire talent to execute your own great ideas in many cases. The leader must possess the trait to see it through. I created a propeller based gadget and have over 1.75m in sales. A one man operation. Blood sweat and tears to make it happen. Always looking for new ideas and have some but the problem is always having the feeling that it can sell at a level to create the motivation to continue. My ideas are always niche it seems. Fortunately high ticket with some marketability. I recommend The Lean Startup for all interested in starting something. It taught me a lot. The main concept is the Minimally viable product to see how to proceed or quit. Knowing when to quit is a valuable quality on its own. I have abandoned projects much earlier as a result of having a better sense of when to cut bait.
    Sounds interesting. Can you describe your gadget?

• Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    David Betz wrote: »
    T Chap wrote: »
    I passsed through austin for a short stay around 2011-2013. Fun place but too hot for me. It takes a certain mindset to complete things and bring it to market. I don't think you can instill that in people or bring it out of them. You sort of have it or you don't imo. May be some exceptions. But the good news is you can hire talent to execute your own great ideas in many cases. The leader must possess the trait to see it through. I created a propeller based gadget and have over 1.75m in sales. A one man operation. Blood sweat and tears to make it happen. Always looking for new ideas and have some but the problem is always having the feeling that it can sell at a level to create the motivation to continue. My ideas are always niche it seems. Fortunately high ticket with some marketability. I recommend The Lean Startup for all interested in starting something. It taught me a lot. The main concept is the Minimally viable product to see how to proceed or quit. Knowing when to quit is a valuable quality on its own. I have abandoned projects much earlier as a result of having a better sense of when to cut bait.
    Sounds interesting. Can you describe your gadget?

+1
  • Yup, you are born this way or not. But, another comment about getting bored or loosing steam when you think about taking it to market. You can't do this for "money" alone. I do this to make money, but not for money. I simply need to get paid for my work and you want to make things that have a chance of making money. But, once you have the product in hand, if you REALLY want to sell it, you can. But, its hard work. You have to call up distributors, buyers, make deals, advertise, etc. its a lot of biz dev, and I personally like doing this as well, since its as much of an art as circuit design. But, I don't like to waste time on something that doesn't have a good potential. So, that's why you get the biggest bang for your buck by doing small, fast projects, and using kickstarter as the sales platform. 99% of the hardware products on kickstarter are just ridiculous from an investment or business perspective, I would never make them if I had to sell them on websites, thru advertising, etc. their is too much competition, and the cost is too high. But, kickstarter is a bizarre anomaly where common sense and rational go out the window. So, all you have to do is search thru all the electronic products, arduino, gaming, etc. and you will find countless WTF? Products on there that you can't believe got funded to the level they did. THIS is what I want to leverage, this kind of attitude, but with the ACTUAL ability to design, manufacture, and ship the product on time, which 70-90% of all hardware KS's fail at, or don't ship at all.

For example, parallax sells a lot of little gadgets, any one of them isn't going to make anyone rich, but all of them together create a good revenue, but personally I don't want to have 100's of SKUs. I would rather make a handful of really cool products and stay focused, simply because I don't want to be the next sparkfun.

Anyway, like I said, I am looking to see if there are any serious closers that can start, execute and finish small products, see how it goes, and then do larger things down the line. But, no hobby stuff, this isn't for fun :)
  • Andre,

It's cool you took the time to post here and open an opportunity to work with you. Not to sound too fan boyish, but I still have your book "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Guru" which was my first experience into game dev where I was headed back then, although life did take me in another direction. But, later in life I got the Embedded Dev bug and stumbled on the Hydra dev kit at Fry's. After finding it was created by the "Guru" himself, I had to have it. I have gone through a number of other embedded boards and devices since, but the Hydra was the one that got me hooked.

I've been more of a tinkerer, hobbyist, starter of projects, all of which you are not looking for. However, one goal I have this year is to complete the projects I start and become a closer as you mention. My interests are in Retro games, IoT, Wireless connectivity (BLE, Sub 1Gig, etc) and Wearables. Perhaps once I have more completed project posted, I could be considered to be part of your team.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Now that I'm freelancing and inventing toys, I can speak to the other end of the product spectrum, where you make a living doing JUST tinkering and inventing. In the toy bizz, most corporations are thinning their staff, mainly keeping production people (people turning the cranks and making sausage). They have plenty of development/engineering/manufacturing pipelines, but they don't want to staff an in-house R&D firm. The bean counters are convinced that it's cheaper to pay 3-6% royalties on toys they produce. They actively and competitively court a HUGE inventor community for concepts, ideas, and prototypes. You submit your idea/model to one or all of them for review. Nothing is guaranteed, nothing is a slam dunk. Just like Vegas, there many, many losers for every winner. But if you're in the game long enough, can cope with rejection, are persistent, and smart, you can improve your odds. I know my own strengths are as an inventor, prelim designer, and presenter. All the downstream production/manufacturing/marketing/distributing stuff bores me to tears, there's no way I would survive doing the whole development cycle. Fortunately there are people who thrive doing that. I say let everyone use their gifts and enthusiasm to do what they love and do well.
  • @JonM,

Glad you liked the book :) 99% of people interested in game dev never go into it, but learning how to write high performance applications that are real-time and do everything is a VERY good skill and as you have learned helps in anything computer related. Anyway, sounds like you are doing a lot of the same things, email me at ceo@nurve.net and we can talk more about the stuff you are doing.

@Erco,

Have you personally had any luck licensing a product idea or developing a prototype for a toy company and been compensated? If so, any details would be interesting. I have talked with a number of companies over the years, Mattel recently to develop some really cool AI toys for them, but their contracts were ridiculous, I couldn't believe that just to engage with them they basically wanted a non-compete for eternity, in other words, before even talking to them, I had to promise never to do anything related to embedded, games, AI, toys, etc........................... FOREVER -- I was like this is nuts, what idiot would sign this?

Anyway, I might re-engage them again and see if I can get them to be more reasonable, but I doubt it.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    AndreL,

Interesting. Is this why mass market toys seem so stupid now a days?

I do hope you find some kindred spirits.
  • With Mattel announcing their Aristotle Amazon Echo device, or what I like to call "Alexa Nanny", perhaps creating toys or educational tools that interact with the Alexa Skill Kit might be a good way to go. Sort of like the Disney's Playmation or Infinity Interactive toys.
    toynews-online.biz/news/read/mattel-unveils-its-own-amazon-alexa-an-ai-monitor-that-grows-with-a-child/047938