Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Short Circuit Fails — Parallax Forums

Short Circuit Fails

Hopefully none of our projects starred in or caused these epic fail army short circuits. Pretty awesome to see 13+ Kvolts or more out of control. Propeller users, please stop thinking of 5V as high voltage! Watch out for naughty language in second video.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2017-01-02 22:17
    New York City streets in 1890. Besides telegraph lines, multiple electric lines were required for each class of device requiring different voltages

Etching of Overhead Telephone and Telegraph Wires in Broadway, 1890. "Wires snapped on a regular basis as a result of over tension, wind, or ice weighing them down. The electrical wires carried a significant charge, but the other wires carried electricity as well. As wires snapped and lashed across streets, smashing against buildings, thrashing about, spraying sparks in all directions, blocks were rendered impassable until power to the downed lines could be cut."

New_York_utility_lines_in_1890.jpg
  • Having just read an biography on Edison, in the early day of running power lines under the streets, they did not insulate the wires so when it rained and a horse stepped over the area of the underground lines, the horse would get shocked and run away. This was trouble for horse drawn carriages. They eventually learned they needed to cover the lines to isolate them.
  • Seen these many times late at night in the wilds of Wv and Ohio. Once even from a bucket truck. Oh how I miss those days. First you say it then you do it.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Don't put water on an electrical fire...

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-01-10 19:17
    I hope that wasn't the captain laughing, he should have been fired. I thought water conducts electricity. A job for foam, or let burn out like they do tire fires.