Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Boards — Parallax Forums

Propeller Boards

Does anyone know what the main differences between the Propeller board of education activity board, and the Propeller activity board wx ?

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-12-24 19:10
    First off. The Propellor Board of Education and Propeller Activity Boards are different animals.

The Activity Board WX will, in the future, support wireless programming of the Propellor chip.
  • Publison wrote: »
    The Activity Board will, in the future, support wireless programming of the Propellor chip.

I'd think any sort of wireless programming which will work on the Activity Board should work on the PropBOE. Right?

The PropBOE has a VGA connector and the PropBOE has a lifetime warranty. I have two PropBOEs and I've used the warranty twice. (I also have two Activity Boards).

Both boards are useful and which one you should choose depends on how you what to use them.

• Duane Degn wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »
    The Activity Board will, in the future, support wireless programming of the Propellor chip.

I'd think any sort of wireless programming which will work on the Activity Board should work on the PropBOE. Right?

The PropBOE has a VGA connector and the PropBOE has a lifetime warranty. I have two PropBOEs and I've used the warranty twice. (I also have two Activity Boards).

Both boards are useful and which one you should choose depends on how you what to use them.

I made an edit on my last post. The Activity WX has a jumper on the XPBEE connector to go between normally XBEE and Wireless, as I understand it. They have been working on this for a while. I don't know where it stand right now.

• Publison wrote: »
    The Activity WX has a jumper on the XPBEE connector to go between normally XBEE and Wireless, as I understand it. They have been working on this for a while. I don't know where it stand right now.

Okay. I think I understand this better now. I was looking at the documentation to the original Activity Boards. Your right about the WX version having some sort of USB/XBee selector.

Thanks for setting me straight.

• When the boards were first introduced, the Activity Board (AB) was geared for PropGCC (SimpleIDE) use, hence the Activity Bot, which was promoted for C users. The BOE was to be used by Spin users.

The one difference that I have come across, hardware wise, between AB and BOE, they use different ADC setup, which means that if you try to use SimpleIDE ADC lib with the BOE, it will not work. There might be other differences, but since I am heavy C use, I just use the AB for just about everything. Besides, the original AB was ~$50, while the BOE was ~$90, so I went with the cheap one.

Ray
  • Thanks guys, as I aspire to be a heavy C user, the choice is made.
  • To tag along on this thread, with a pertinent question, does anybody know of any more differences between the Activity and BOE boards? Plus, does anybody have any C ode for the ADC setup on the BOE? Since I have a BOE board, doing nothing, I wonder if I can implement SimpleIDE PropGCC libs to work the BOE board.

Ray
  • One obvious difference is that the PropBOE has a VGA interface. Also, you won't be able to wi-fi download to the PropBOE.