Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Furtive and Biomimetic Bionic Bird — Parallax Forums

Furtive and Biomimetic Bionic Bird

ercoerco Posts: 20,253
They had me at Furtive. :)

Pilot Bionic Bird with the intuitive and ultra-sensitive Flying App using your smartphone or tablet and fly with a range of more than 100 metres.
Discover the new generation of drones that everyone is talking about. Furtive and biomimetic, Bionic Bird is packed with patented micro-technologies.
Treat yourself to an experience that's as close to nature as possible. Fly beyond the clouds, glide with other birds or drive your cat crazy!

http://www.frys.com/product/8827262

Comments

• erco wrote: »
    Fly beyond the clouds, glide with other birds

Post a video of your Bionic Bird flying beyond the clouds and I'll order one too. (Once I get my credit card paid off from buying the high speed camera.)

• This bird looks like it has promise.

Here's the first video I found about the bird. I used the "L" key to skip forward a bunch of times. The flying doesn't occur until near the end of the video.

I don't like tilting a phone for control. It would be nice if the released the App's code so it could be hacked to use different inputs.

It doesn't look like this thing is going to be flying "beyond the clouds" anytime soon.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    edited 2016-12-24 20:17
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Post a video of your Bionic Bird flying beyond the clouds and I'll order one too. (Once I get my credit card paid off from buying the high speed camera.)

You can't afford to wait, Furtive Boy: the $80 sale will be over soon!

bird.jpg
    1313 x 900 - 553K
    bird.jpg 552.6K
  • Those look like fun! I think for $130 you can get an RC one with standard parts and bind to a controller, or flight stick.
  • erco wrote: »
    Furtive Boy: the $80 sale will be over soon!

Says the person living in Frysville.

Frys doesn't have a store up here.

FrysMap.PNG

xanadu wrote: »
    I think for $130 you can get an RC one with standard parts and bind to a controller, or flight stick.

This is the cheapest one at HobbyKing.

red_bird_1_high_5__4.jpg

The HobbyKing one doesn't look as Furtive as the Bionic Bird.

I also found this $31.48 bird at Amazon.

51k1Ue1vkZL.jpg

Here's a "flying" bat. (Sorry about the giant images. I was too lazy to resize them.)

81BZfYXWDqL._SL1500_.jpg

The good news is this doesn't use a smartphone as a controller. The bad news is it dangles from a string and doesn't really fly.

81dr3v8cYwL._SL1500_.jpg

If you imagine hard enough you can pretend it's like a control line airplane from the past.
    229 x 201 - 19K
  • I like the bionic bat, can I get that in carbon fiber?
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    I don't know why the guy in the video repeatedly says that it flies like a bird. I would say it flies like a bat, not a bird.
    Biomimetic bionic.. they almost had me, but biotronic is missing. I need biotronic too. :)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    Call me when there's a furtive one-servo biomimetic ornithopter for five bucks from EBay China.