Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
8 Hours Left for Chronos 1.4 High Speed Camera Kickstarter — Parallax Forums

8 Hours Left for Chronos 1.4 High Speed Camera Kickstarter

Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
edited 2016-12-23 04:58 in General Discussion
I imagine a lot of you are subscribed to EEVBlogs and have likely seen Dave talk about the Chronos 1.4 high speed camera but in case any of you missed it, I thought I'd mention the camera here.

The campaign ends in less than eight hours.

Here's Dave's video.

I saw Dave's video when it first went up and I managed to get in on one of the "Early Bird" deals. I still haven't made up my mind if I'm going to really back the project or not. I think it's a good camera for the money but these things are still expensive.

I'm sure I'll figure out how to use a Propeller to trigger the camera (if I get one). (This is my justification for making this post here in the Parallax forum.)

This camera sure looks like a lot of fun but I'm still not sure I can justify the expense.

Heck if I apparently needed a Puck.Js, I likely also need a Chronos 1.4. I just haven't figured out why I need it.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Yes, the Chronos is an amazing piece of work and I have total confidence in the guy behind it.

I love the way it is built like a tank!

Problem is, even if 'er indoors sanctioned my backing it my bank manager might complain!

Even if it is an amazingly cheap high speed camera, it's a bit too much for my play pen.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    edited 2016-12-23 01:29
    Cool camera! Yeah, tough to justify buying it for personal use, given I'm not really engaged in anything that would use it at home. For work, on the other hand, I could definitely reduce troubleshooting times, not to mention product wastage, with it quite often.
    edited 2016-12-23 09:40
    Hmm, I don't know about photo sensory but I do wonder if that sensor would be any good at low light photography hooked up to a telescope or even nighttime videoing?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2016-12-23 15:05
    evanh wrote: »
    For work, on the other hand, I could definitely reduce troubleshooting times, not to mention product wastage, with it quite often.

Can you elaborate on how this sort of camera would be useful? I'm looking for some good excuses for not cancelling my pledge.

That's an interesting point about the low light capabilities of the sensor. I hadn't give this any thought myself but you present some interesting things to think about.

• That camera is totally cool! If I were completely sure my 1982 Mercedes 240D would last another 100K miles, I'd start saving for it, instead another used car. :)

-Phil
  • That camera is totally cool! If I were completely sure my 1982 Mercedes 240D would last another 100K miles, I'd start saving for it, instead another used car. :)

-Phil

Don't worry PhiPi,

Your 1982 240D will outlast any other car around you. They are indestructible, except rust.

Enjoy!

Mike
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    evanh wrote: »
    For work, on the other hand, I could definitely reduce troubleshooting times, not to mention product wastage, with it quite often.

Can you elaborate on how this sort of camera would be useful? I'm looking for some good excuses for not cancelling my pledge.

I look after a small factory. Generally, product is driven into place and extracted again as part of the machine function. It's the minimum required for rapid machine cycling. This mechanical loading and unloading often causes no end of frustration for the operators. Doesn't seem to matter which stage of the production,ie: which machine.

Sometimes I'm trying to fix a broken or lose part but want confirmation of where it is out of wack. Or, it's an adjustment problem but no one knows so I'm the one (Except for the printing presses, there's qualified printers on there.) that sits down with the instruction manual and tools to go over each step of setting the machine before giving guidance on improved setup.

Probably the most common situation is I simply have no clue of what's upsetting things and need to inspect the minute timing of motion between the product and the mechanisms driving it. I've used a simple cheap digital photo camera with success a number of times already but it really shows it's limits. Sometimes everything is just a blur, ie: not much better than eyeballing it.
    I have seen mechanical engineers trying to "debug" the action of a new multi-million dollar machine they had designed over some years. It produced product at 10,000 pieces per minute. They were scratching their heads wondering why the product was getting mangled at some point as it was transferred from one part of the machine to the next.

My electrical engineer colleague looked at this and advised they set up a strobe lamp synch'ed to the machine cycle and watch it with that. By changing the phase of the strobe time one could watch the processes in slow motion!

Soon they had it tuned up and running faultlessly.

A high speed camera is great for debugging action like that.

• Thanks for the ideas on how/when to use a high speed camera evenh and Heater.

I've thought the camera could be useful in tuning RC vehicles such as helicopters and quadcopters.

My wife ended up talking me into leaving my pledge in place. Since I'm an "early bird" I should be getting the camera in March.

I don't know if you guys have seen the Smarter Everyday channel or not but Destin has made some really cool videos using high speed cameras.

This one shows the cavitation caused by a bullet passing through water. A really cool shot (double meaning) starts at 7:15.

I also like this video which shows the differences in the way birds and bats fly. The slow motion bats start at 2:05.

I think Destin makes cool videos but I also think he found one of the worst applications for high speed video. I think the video on POV light displays could have been done without a high speed camera. The guy who programmed the display could have just slowed the speed of the motor and slowed how fast the LED display changed.

The high speed capture of the POV display starts at 4:45.

The Chronos 1.4 isn't as powerful as the cameras Destin used but I'm hoping to find fun things to "film".

While I was typing this post by bank's fraud protection service called. I had to assure them the Kickstarter charge was legitimate.
    Duane Degn,
    My wife ended up talking me into leaving my pledge in place.
    What an excellent wife you have there!

Look forward to seeing what you get up to with the Chronos.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    We got a high speed camera in the Hot Wheels group, VERY pricey several years ago. They kept it under lock & key. It was intended for debugging sets, watching how cars jumped & landed and adjusting track to accommodate. Black & white only, super bright lights. It worked great was novel and fun to play with, but ultimately not very useful. Every single car has its own dynamics, plus as you tune & test the same car, the cars are wearing and changing with worn wheels & bent axles, and it's chasing a moving target.

I stopped using it after the novelty wore off. Way too much time & effort to unlock it, set it up, and spend hours getting the shots we needed. Based on a few (thirty) years of experience, I could intuitively diagnose and troubleshoot problems in one tenth of the time.

But for more boilerplate applications, it would certainly be a useful tool for you rich guys who can afford it. :)
  • Duane Degn wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas on how/when to use a high speed camera evenh and Heater.

I've thought the camera could be useful in tuning RC vehicles such as helicopters and quadcopters.

My wife ended up talking me into leaving my pledge in place. Since I'm an "early bird" I should be getting the camera in March.

I don't know if you guys have seen the Smarter Everyday channel or not but Destin has made some really cool videos using high speed cameras.

This one shows the cavitation caused by a bullet passing through water. A really cool shot (double meaning) starts at 7:15.

I also like this video which shows the differences in the way birds and bats fly. The slow motion bats start at 2:05.

I think Destin makes cool videos but I also think he found one of the worst applications for high speed video. I think the video on POV light displays could have been done without a high speed camera. The guy who programmed the display could have just slowed the speed of the motor and slowed how fast the LED display changed.

The high speed capture of the POV display starts at 4:45.

The Chronos 1.4 isn't as powerful as the cameras Destin used but I'm hoping to find fun things to "film".

While I was typing this post by bank's fraud protection service called. I had to assure them the Kickstarter charge was legitimate.

Another "Smarter Every Day" fan here :) Thanks for sharing the videos - now i have more to go watch! I get all dreamy eyed about a high speed camera like this... but like most of you in this thread, no way could I justify spending that kind of money.