Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A Brief Brucey Update — Parallax Forums

A Brief Brucey Update

It has been a while since I have been an "active" participant within the forums, so I thought I would give you all a heads up, before I start posting again.

To sum it all up, my mother has been diagnosed with and is currently battling small cell lung cancer. Over the last several months, most of my time has been devoted to caring for her, and as some of you may know, it is pretty much a full time job. However, I am happy to say that she is doing better now, which leaves me with a little time (not much), to devote to my interests.

As time permits, I will be updating a thread or two, and starting another thread or two. Besides spending my time helping her, I have put a lot of thought into the direction that I will be taking, and in the previously mentioned threads, I will tell you more about my plans.

Comments

• Bruce, I wish the best for you and your mother.

-Mike R...
  • Thank you pmrobert
  • Welcome back. I've been wondering what happened to you :)
    More well wishes coming from this household.
    We're all looking forward to hearing your new (updated) plans!
  • Bruce,
    Dealing with cancer in any form is not fun. I hope that all goes well with your mother.
    Jim
  • Many thanks DavidZemon and RS_Jim
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    God bless you and your mom, Bruce. You're a good son. Wishing you both a peaceful holiday.
  • Thanks erco. I wish you happy and peaceful holidays as well
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Good man, taking care of your mom like that.
  • Chip

To be perfectly honest, I cannot and do not want to imagine life without her. Even though I put her through major turmoil during my youth, she always remained loyal and loving, looking out for her during a serious illness is the least I can do. I just wish I would have been a better son form the start, but I have always been a mama's boy.
  • Bruce, has your mother's struggles made you reconsider your consumption of lung darts?

Fwiw, my mother died from cancer when I was nine (she was a downwinder - her liver had to deal with radioactive isotopes picked up from her environment during her formative years). You are fortunate to have had so much more time with your mother.
  • User Name

Lung darts :) Nah.... still aiming for a bullseye

Yes, I am definitely fortunate to still have her around. I have often wondered how difficult it is on a child to lose a parent at a young age, not to mention the surviving parent. Your experience had to be very difficult to say the least.
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    Best wishes for both of you, Bruce
    Peter, (pjv)
  • Thank you very much Peter
  • User Name wrote: »
    Bruce, has your mother's struggles made you reconsider your consumption of lung darts?

Fwiw, my mother died from cancer when I was nine (she was a downwinder - her liver had to deal with radioactive isotopes picked up from her environment during her formative years). You are fortunate to have had so much more time with your mother.

Bruce, I do hope everything turns out okay.
  • Buck Rogers

Thank you.
  • Strength to you and your mom.

DJ
  • Thanks davejames. Strength for her.... Patience for me :)
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    I have first-hand experience in caring for someone with cancer. It is a full-time job in and of itself. Fortunately when I was at the peak of this, Parallax made considerations so I could still work and take care of her. It was a tough year, but with all the support, I got through it. Blessings to you both.
  • Hey Chris

Yea, I remember you were having a cancer crisis in your family. When I would occasionally see you post, I would wonder how things were going for you. I am glad to hear that things are better. Thank you for your well wishes and I wish you the same.

And yes, there is a lot to it... Prescription and appointment tracking, tons of information that leads to brain overload, remembering all the names of the people that you interact with on a regular basis, loss of sleep, cooking, cleaning, driving here and there, shopping, worrying, etc.... The list is endless.

I wish the best for you, your wife, and family.
  • I'll add my best wishes, Bruce. I definitely missed you around here.
  • Bruce,
    I think that you are unaware they Wendy Passed away in July of last year. See this Thread "Parallax's Chris and Wendy Savage - an important call to our customers for assistance"
    Jim
  • localroger

Thank you for the well wishes and letting me know that I was missed. That was a nice thing to say. I wasn't sure if anyone missed me or my antics :)

My mother's illness, the weather, as well as some other troubles has surely slowed me down a bit, but let me reassure you, there will be some interesting content around the corner. :)
  • RS_Jim

Yes, I was unaware and now I feel like such a fool, but thanks for letting me know.

Bruce
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    @idbruce,

Just saw this post... So sorry to hear about your Mom - prayers of love and support from Louisiana!
    Bruce,

It's okay. The point still stands. I con empathize with you on being a caregiver. Support of your friends and family is very important during trying times like these. I'm here if you need me.
  • @Whit

Thanks Whit. Prayers of love and support definitely help, especially if they come from Louisiana! However, while you are saying prayers, could you also please pray for my sanity :)

@Chris
    Support of your friends and family is very important during trying times like these.

That is truly the tough part... Several of my good friends have passed away and others have moved away from this arctic wasteland. I have one good friend left in the area, but he currently has big problems of his own. As for immediate family, I have one brother, and he is constantly on the road, driving a truck. Extended family is scattered to the four winds. So it is basically just me and my mother. When I am not caring for her, I try to keep myself busy, with my projects, so that I don't get overwhelmed with all the problems.
    idbruce wrote: »
    That is truly the tough part... Several of my good friends have passed away and others have moved away from this arctic wasteland. I have one good friend left in the area, but he currently has big problems of his own. As for immediate family, I have one brother, and he is constantly on the road, driving a truck. Extended family is scattered to the four winds. So it is basically just me and my mother. When I am not caring for her, I try to keep myself busy, with my projects, so that I don't get overwhelmed with all the problems.

Well, for what it's worth, you've got your extended family/friends here on these forums. :cool:
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2016-12-23 18:26
    @Chris
    Well, for what it's worth, you've got your extended family/friends here on these forums.

Yes, there truly is quite a few of fantastic and supportive people within the Parallax forums.

Even though I have had many bad things happen in my life, I have always tried to be a very optimistic person, because I have seen many people trapped within the constraints of pessimism. As always, I will try to maintain my positive outlook, even during this trying time, and instead of focusing on bad things, I will continually attempt to push forward and provide some interesting future discussions. I am not there just yet, but when springtime arrives, I think a few people will be pleasantly surprised with some of my endeavors, products, and planned content.

Regardless of any future outcomes, I certainly and undoubtedly appreciate any and all moral support from family/friends here on Parallax forums.
  • idbruce wrote: »
    Lung darts :) Nah.... still aiming for a bullseye
    Dang! But believe me, I understand compulsive behavior. It's the story of my life.
    Yes, I am definitely fortunate to still have her around. I have often wondered how difficult it is on a child to lose a parent at a young age, not to mention the surviving parent. Your experience had to be very difficult to say the least.
    Well, life often makes compensations. Providence favored me with the best father ever, and later with a wonderful wife.

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    idbruce wrote: »
    That is truly the tough part... Several of my good friends have passed away and others have moved away from this arctic wasteland.

Where do you live, Bruce?