Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chip Gracey's Absence from Forums - Page 9 — Parallax Forums

Chip Gracey's Absence from Forums

12345679»

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    Ah, so the fat part of frying is irrelevant. It's the burning of the food that is the concern. I hadn't quite got that detail from Tor.

Hmm .... kind of joins up to the role of antioxidants. I wasn't expecting that.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2017-01-31 21:01
    Tor wrote: »
    Fat contains most energy, but carbohydrates are easier to burn for the body. So if you eat both at the same time, all the fat goes to storage.

That's really valuable information. Most of the foods we like to eat have this exact problem. This explains why we tend towards greatness.
  • Around the time that breakfast cereals became widely advertised, the cereal industry basically suppressed whatever science had been developed around the role of fats and sugars in nutrition. Relatively recently, new research has shown that some fats, particularly monounsaturated fats (like in olive oil) are helpful and much more satisfying calorie for calorie than carbohydrates and that sugars in particular are nasty because they tend to rapidly stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin. This stimulates insulin insensitivity which leads you down the path to diabetes, atherosclerosis, etc.

I'm a fan of intermittent partial fasting ... see "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer" on YouTube ... by Michael Mosley ... originally on the BBC and PBS. He has a series on the BBC ... "Trust Me, I'm a Doctor" ... very good medical journalism.
    Mike Green wrote: »
    Around the time that breakfast cereals became widely advertised, the cereal industry basically suppressed whatever science had been developed around the role of fats and sugars in nutrition. Relatively recently, new research has shown that some fats, particularly monounsaturated fats (like in olive oil) are helpful and much more satisfying calorie for calorie than carbohydrates and that sugars in particular are nasty because they tend to rapidly stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin. This stimulates insulin insensitivity which leads you down the path to diabetes, atherosclerosis, etc.

I'm a fan of intermittent partial fasting ... see "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer" on YouTube ... by Michael Mosley ... originally on the BBC and PBS. He has a series on the BBC ... "Trust Me, I'm a Doctor" ... very good medical journalism.

This might be naive to ask, but is diabetes generally brought on by high sugar consumption, as in sweeteners?
  • I would recommend you watch some of Dr Tim Noakes lectures on the science and history of Sugar, Fat and Carb diet interaction. The guy is a diabetic himself, so he has skin in the game. His methods have achieved some verified success. Refer to my earlier posting on P7 of this thread.
  • There are multiple factors that contribute to the risk of adult-onset diabetes. Genetics is a piece, but obesity and sugar consumption are big factors. Fructose (in corn syrup) is a particular baddy since it's rapidly absorbed and easily stimulates insulin production. Anything you can do to slow down sugar absorption (complex carbohydrates - starches, fiber) helps. Reducing total calorie intake helps. Fat in food tends to help us feel fuller faster so we don't eat as much ... assuming you pay attention to your body's satiety signals.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    My sons mother became diabetic at 9 years old. Knowing her parents I cannot imagine she had a heavy sugar diet or anything but healthy food as a kid.

My current "better half" became diabetic a couple of years ago, at the age of fifty something. Which was really frightening. In a state of diabetic shock I had no idea what was going on. Happened many times before the doctors sorted out the insulin does. She has lived on a very healthy Finnish diet of meat, potatoes and veg. No fizzy pop and no junk.

My conclusion? No idea. But diet does not seem to be the whole story.

• Hi Chip,

Better late than never department:

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but REALLY glad that you are on this side of it.

All the best in your continued recovery! As a guideline, the hospital I was in said that for each night in hospital, it takes an average of 1 week to recover. I was in for 48 days, and I must admit it was almost a year before I was back to normal. Well, 55 pounds lighter, much lower fat intake, much lower sugar intake, on insulin, no gall bladder, dinged up pancreas and a better appreciation of modern medicine.

Cheers,

Tom Sisk
    stamptrol wrote: »
    Hi Chip,

Better late than never department:

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but REALLY glad that you are on this side of it.

All the best in your continued recovery! As a guideline, the hospital I was in said that for each night in hospital, it takes an average of 1 week to recover. I was in for 48 days, and I must admit it was almost a year before I was back to normal. Well, 55 pounds lighter, much lower fat intake, much lower sugar intake, on insulin, no gall bladder, dinged up pancreas and a better appreciation of modern medicine.

Cheers,

Tom Sisk

I'm glad you're doing well. Seems like we all have to figure out how NOT to die, at some point.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Everything Mike Green said. Spot on.

There's one more issue around: Artificial sweeteners. Some of these (the "best" ones) are able to fool not only the sweetness sensors on your tongue, but are "good" enough to also fool the body into producing insulin. And that's very bad, as there's little sugar for the insulin to handle.. the result is that a) you'll feel hungry, and b) your level of insulin stays high, which is really bad. From what I've read, some of the 'zero cal' sodas suffer from this. If you're actually a diabetic this is of no consequence, and the sugar free sodas are fine. If you're not a diabetic they're absolutely not fine. Better drink a sugared soda, or, much better, drink water.
    (I'm sure many of you have noticed all those very obese people who always seem to be waving a sugar free soda around. That would be the correlation. Drink sugar free, get low blood sugar levels, feel hungry, stuff yourself with hamburgers.)