Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chip Gracey's Absence from Forums - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Chip Gracey's Absence from Forums

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,892
    Glad to hear Chip is doing well!

Sounds like he dodged a bullet...
  • Rest up Chip, the whole world needs you healthy...
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2016-12-07 13:58
    Chip - Prayers from Louisiana for you and your family (home and work). Speedy recovery so you can be home with all those you love!

No reply needed other that a quick recovery!
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    So sorry to hear about your health troubles. Hope you have a full and speedy recovery.
  • Oh boy! Chip, please take the time to really recover. Don't cheat yourself (and your family and friends) by trying to hurry things along, this challenge will not be helped with more effort (except perhaps the effort to really let go of things for a while).

My sister-in-law broke her shoulder a few weeks ago, and during a conversation with the Doctor found out the reason she needs to keep her arm in a sling for two months is so that she will not be tempted, when it starts felling better, to overextend it and do more damage. We easily forget the "better" is not the same as "well." Please get well, not just better.

Tom
  • Chip, get well. In the future schedule time for yourself, exercise and family.

John Abshier
  • Chip

Good to know you are recovering well from this silent disease.

Your health and the lovely family that supports you are the important things in your life.

Our best prayers and wishes.

Thanks Ker for sharing this.

Henrique
  • Hi Chip

Sorry to hear about the heart attack- glad to hear you are recovering strongly.
    I guess this is one interrupt you can't avoid- so service it with due care and only return when fully recovered; only then pop your stack and get back in the old routine (rti).
    Wrap yourself in the love and warmth of your family and friends and take your time. Over the years this forum has given me many hours of pleasure and intrigue, and it's all down to your vision, genius and abilty to share and involve the rest of us- (and the quality of the forumistas).
    Love and best wishes for a total recovery.

Dave
  • Chip:

Very sorry to hear of your recent health issues. I hope you have a speedy recovery -- take care of yourself!

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Our very best wishes that you will take time for a complete recovery. Loekie en Tom
  • Omaha, NE sends it's best regards! I hope you're feeling better soon!
  • Adding my best of wishes. This hits a bit close to home since heart disease has been a major thing in my family.

The most important thing is, follow the directions. Since you've had a bypass there will be some rehab and exercise directives. Do them, and don't get distracted until your doctors pronounce you well. Both of my inlaws had bypasses in their early 70's and they came out fine and are still going strong. My FIL is now pushing 90.

My father and grandfather both had heart attacks at 61, my grandfather's pretty devastating. My father benefited from better technology and had one of these newfangled thingies called a "stent" installed by one of the actual doctors who invented them.

I got my own stent at the age of 50, about three years ago, and I was totally asymptomatic. Fortunately I was checking my vitals regularly (PLEASE START DOING THIS YOURSELF CHIP) and one day apropos of nothing I started to notice that my blood pressure was always 190/120, no matter the time of day or what I was doing. After a month or so I realized this was probably above my pay grade and had it looked at.

Long story short I had 85% blocked LAD, also affectionately known as the Widowmaker. Given my lack of symptoms it's quite likely I would have simply fainted and dropped dead in my tracks without warning at some random point in the near future. Instead I got my own stent which is no longer a freshly invented experimental thing.

Coronary artery disease sucks but it is largely a solved problem if you live in a first world nation and, in our case, have health insurance. Hopefully your heart wasn't too badly damaged by the hidden heart attack. Follow your doctors' advice -- there are lots of points where I distrust modern medicine, but this is one area where it is really on firm ground.

And in case I haven't said it loudly enough before, thank you so much for creating the Propeller, probably the most elegant microprocessor ever designed and the source of much prestige and revenue for myself and my corporate masters. Please get well so you can follow it up properly with a P2 we can be in similar awe of.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-12-06 01:46
    Chip's misfortune might give all of us pause to reflect on our own health and well-being. Let's face it: most of us have occupations or hobbies that are mostly sedentary in nature. This has made me think about the following:

1. How many hours a day do I spend sitting down? (Too many.)

2. How's my weight? (A little high -- especially this time of year.)

3. Blood pressure? (Somewhat high, unless I'm exercising regularly.)

4. Cholesterol? (Lucky me: good genes.)

5. Blood sugar? (Again, good genes.)

6. Exercise? (Sunny today: coulda gone biking, but it was cold -- lousy excuse: I have gloves.)

7. Habits? (M&Ms at the hardware store checkout and midnight snacking -- gotta stop that.)

8. Sleep? (Probably not enough -- acid reflux due to midnight snacking. Ugh.)

Everyone needs to make his/her own decisions regarding health and prevention. But this has been a wake-up call for me, and it's time for some pre-new year's resolutions!

Also, if you're a typical male, you don't see a physician for much of anything, let alone annual wellness exams. That was me, until an ER doc said to me, "You're how old? And you don't have a primary-care physician? Are you nuts?" Okay, okay. I got that done. How about the rest of you macho "nothing bothers me: I'll live forever" males out there? :)

-Phil
  • Godspeed
  • Chip,

Recovery is the first thing. Take your time and do it right.

But the lifestyle changes are the big deal. Most everybody is good at recovering but few are good at making the changes they need to make.

To heck with P2, walnuts, whatever. Health and family is where it's at. I met you once at the unveiling of the P1. I hope to be there when you unveil P2.

Fair winds and following seas!
  • Chip, get well soon.
  • Hey all,

It looks like Chip might be going home pretty soon due to progress [and good behavior]. We might see him here by the end of the week, but you guys need to manage his involvement for me in case he gets a little bit too enthusiastic about this absence from P2.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • Ken Gracey wrote:
    It looks like Chip might be going home pretty soon due to progress [and good behavior].
    That's good to hear, Ken! Hopefully, we can help him stay defocused. He just needs to chill while his body heals from the trauma it's undergone.

-Phil
  • Chip,
    Longtime lurker here letting you know you're in my prayers. Take care of yourself, the world needs you.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    @Ken Thanks for the info and update.

@Chip Take it easy and recover fully! My dad at 67 had a quad bypass immediately following a massive heart attack where they had to jump start him. He was a little slower to recover due to the heart attack, but before long he was hanging from the roof repairing gutters. I don't recommend this type of exercise, but it just shows what modern medicine can do. And that was 25 years ago, although he has since passed.

So, take the time to recover, take it as a warning to slow down and change your habits, and no more "all-nighters" !!!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-12-06 07:50
    Chip,

Great to hear that you're getting out of the hospital soon! But in case you have a couple more nights there, here are some tips and info to make the rest of your stay (and the aftermath) a little more bearable:

1. If a nurse comes in at 3 a.m. and awakens you to give you something to "help you sleep," just mutter a quiet "thank you" and drift off again. However, if what he gives you is morphine, say, "Please, sir, may I have another?" You won't regret it.

2. Don't make Dracula jokes to the phlebotomist. She can -- and will -- make your life miserable.

3. If it's not already too late, don't open the plastic bag in your bedside drawer that contains paper slippers, lip balm, a small tube of toothpaste, and a miserable toothbrush that no dentist could possibly recommend. If you leave it untouched, you might be able to recoup the $500 that the hospital is charging you for it.

4. Anything that you're offered with the word "propeller" in it is probably a laxative.

5. Taking the VO2 sensor off of your finger and clamping it to your nose is funny the first time. After that ... um ... not so much.

6. Kraft Foods pays hospitals to get patients addicted to Jello and tapioca. Just remember that these are "gateway foods" to more serious dependencies. Consume with caution.

7. Check your billing statements carefully. Notwithstanding your additional coronary piping, "Sacramento Plumbing and Hearting, LLC" is probably not a valid provider and should be reported.

Anyway, you'll be out on parole soon. Take care. I'm rooting for you, for a quick and complete recovery.

-Phil
  • Chip, all I can say is, get well soon!
  • Chip

Wishing you a speedy recovery
    750 x 352 - 29K
  • Chip, sorry to hear about your illness. Best of luck on your recovery.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    @Chip: Enjoy the attention and forced rest.
    @Phipi: You're killing me! Hysterical.

I'm sure we are all relieved that Chip is well on the path to recovery and we're comfortable with such "lighter side" comments. Curiously, no "surgeon's leftover parts" wisecracks.

Yet.
  • Glad you are improving Chip, wishing you a full recovery. Enjoy a break!
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »

If you want to send him your wishes, prayers or even jokes, feel free to do so via e-mail cgracey@parallax.com or by a reply on this thread. If you have his cell number, no calls please (the nurses took it away anyway). Please tell him *not* to reply to your message so he can focus on his health.

I wonder if they at least gave him a phone back. In this day and age it could be considered cruel and inhuman punishment.

Follow Doctors Orders. Your going to need something to occupy your mind, hope you can do it within the set limits. That will probably be the toughest part of recovery.

Glad to hear things are going good, and you are going home, hospital's are stressful places in there own way.
    Be selfish and take a long vacation from work. We will all benefit from a stronger you.
  • Knowing Chip, he'll start reinventing the high-tech medical equipment he's seen and experienced, thinking how much better it could be mechanically and with Propellers inside.

@PhiPi, very funny, very serious.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Hey all,

It looks like Chip might be going home pretty soon due to progress [and good behavior]. We might see him here by the end of the week, but you guys need to manage his involvement for me in case he gets a little bit too enthusiastic about this absence from P2.
    That is good news.
    FWIR, Chip was pretty much on the home straight of P2 - the Ring revisions for ADC and PLL were all done, and I think only corner sims were to do.
    P2 Verilog is now down to bug patches, with some minor issues around Rel opcode handling to be sorted ?

So that's ok for light duties / (very) limited hours.

There is a need for some solid exercising of the P2 FPGA image, but that seems to be coming along 'in the field', so this is not a bad time for Chip to ease up and think/reflect a little.

USB code at FS is operating, even at 80MHz.
    I've seen reports of a couple of other possible Power exit/state type issues go past, but things are at that level of detail now, which is good.

• My Rx: Head to Lassen NP twice a week and hike up Brokeoff Mountain trail. Bring a notebook to record all the great ideas that come to mind. Good for the heart, good for the mind, good for the soul.