Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fun & Games with Propeller — Parallax Forums

Fun & Games with Propeller

One of EFX-TEK's clients is a company that builds laser-tag weapons. To date, they've been using a PIC-based controller board from a supplier that doesn't give them the service they desire. They hired us to create a similar product with expanded features, yet would still seem familiar to existing customers. We just finished a giant trade show (IAAPA) and it was a hit. The customers like the cleaner way that we implemented the tagger (the laser-tag "gun") setup menus, and everything performed at or above their expectations.

I'm tired. I've been on the road since the 2nd and I want to go home.

Forgive the bad cell-phone photos -- I just snapped these outside the condo where we're staying. This is the new controller PCB.
800 x 400 - 285K
800 x 400 - 265K

Comments

• Laser Tag has always been big at IAAPA. I have been going there since 2000 on and off.

That's great that your product has been well received. Of course you guys always have cutting edge products.

• That's a nicely laid-out board, Jon. Did you have to match the form factor of the one it replaces?

-Phil
  • That's a nicely laid-out board, Jon. Did you have to match the form factor of the one it replaces?

-Phil

Thanks, Phil.

We did. And then the client decided to put connectors on one side, components on the other -- that was a bit of work, but John Barrowman (who used to layout boards among other duties at Parallax) is really good with these things. I draw the schematics and then throw them over the fence to him!

• JonnyMac wrote:
    I draw the schematics and then throw them over the fence to him!
    I guess, when there are two of you, it has to be done in that order. As a one-man shop, I do the layout first, then draw the schematic!

-Phil
  • Nice job Jon, but I wouldn't complain about the photos since it was a bad "pic" that gave you an opportunity to Prop up a client :)

btw, I designed laser tag guns back in the mid 90's and I still have a box full of boards but boy, were they are a lot more complex to implement properly back then. The things I used to do which I could do so much better if I had a Prop.
  • Nice job Jon, but I wouldn't complain about the photos since it was a bad "pic" that gave you an opportunity to Prop up a client

I see what you did there -- clever, mate; very clever. I don't know when, but I will master Tachyon and I will write a version of the laser tag controller with it.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    Nice job Jon, but I wouldn't complain about the photos since it was a bad "pic" that gave you an opportunity to Prop up a client

I see what you did there -- clever, mate; very clever. I don't know when, but I will master Tachyon and I will write a version of the laser tag controller with it.

Interactive tagging, love to that!

• This is actually a great story, especially that the customer was not getting the support for the PIC based board and you guys stepped in and provided a better option. Very awesome!

Looks like there is a place for a Zigbee. Is that for sending or receiving a blast signal to indicate a hit?

With the continuous movement of the Chip companies like Microchip and ARM, it would be interesting to see if there aren't more stories like this. The Propeller is certainly as capable, if not more capable, as some of the PICs and many of the Microchip/Atmel Arduino Microcontrollers and there really is no reason it could not be a viable replacement. I think you guys proved that perfectly.

Thanks for sharing.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Congrats Jon!
    Nice to see some good prop solutions being used. Although P1 is 10 years old, it certainly still has a lot more appeal than other chips (to me anyway)
  • Congrats Jon!
    Nice to see some good prop solutions being used. Although P1 is 10 years old, it certainly still has a lot more appeal than other chips (to me anyway)
    +1
    Jim
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,912
    edited 2016-11-20 17:00
    Looks like there is a place for a Zigbee. Is that for sending or receiving a blast signal to indicate a hit?
    XBee Pro (sending messages using API 2). The IR "bullet" contains the shooter's ID. The victim tagger generates a radio message that goes back to the shooter tagger which provides audio feedback ("Good hit!" and "That's a kill!" using my WAV player object) to the player. The radio also allows the referee to control the game (start, pause, stop, send message, etc.). We also have the facilities for a master score system to monitor the player stats in [near] real time.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    Congrats Jon!
    I'm right there with you, Ray.

• Very nice, now we need the drone version ;)
  • xanadu wrote: »
    Very nice, now we need the drone version ;)

That discussion has occurred more than once!

• Drone laser tag does sound interesting. I met a local guy who does this for a hobby:

"People build RC 1:144 models of ships from WWI and WWII, arm them with BBs and ball bearings, then go out for battles on a pond. The ships shoot each other, and they actually do sink but then are easily repaired and battling again in an hour."

Drone laser tag sounds safer! He said that they wear eye protection for the RC ship battles, but did express some concern for his teeth ;-)
  • Nice work JonnyMac! Really nice layout and looks like it covers many features that showcase the Propeller well. From looking at what's on the board, I bet the schematic looks similar to a project I have nearly done. Always enjoy seeing the fun things you get to work* with.

*or play with. :-)