Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hot Wheels Road Trip — Parallax Forums

Hot Wheels Road Trip

I just stumbled across this video, and thought the journey was amazing. Even without flame throwers.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-11-18 06:26
    I didn't "get" the swimming pool segment, which makes me suspicious that the video was done in multiple takes. Still, it was fun to watch and had an air of "magical realism" à la Gabriel García Márquez. It reminded me of a paragraph from his novel, One Hundred Years of Solitude (English translation) -- highly recommended, BTW:

"As soon as José Arcadio closed the bedroom door the sound of a pistol shot echoed through the house. A trickle of blood came out under the door, crossed the living room, went out into the street, continued on in a straight line across the uneven terraces, went down steps and climbed over curbs, passed along the Street of the Turks, turned a corner to the right and another to the left, made a right angle at the Buendía house, went in under the closed door, crossed through the parlor, hugging the walls so as not to stain the rugs, went on to the other living room, made a wide curve to avoid the dining room table, went along the porch with the begonias, and passed without being seen under Amaranta's chair as she gave an arithmetic lesson to Aureliano José, and went through the pantry and came out in the kitchen, where Úrsula was getting ready to crack thirty-six eggs to make bread."

And look at all that track! I hope erco is getting royalties!

-Phil
  • Seeing white space where the video should be.
  • Sorry, I should have included the comments from the original Youtube posting...

"Ride along on the Hot Wheels car as it travels through 8 different track sections all connected by teleporting tunnels. From the backyard to the big hill to the pool and back, this track’s got it all.

Each section worked on its own from tunnel to tunnel. The cart is powered entirely by gravity at all times.

In total there are 11 cuts in the video, 7 between locations and 4 for slow motion footage. The jump section and the loop section were filmed twice, once in 30 fps and again in 120 fps, and the final video cuts from the normal speed footage to the slow motion footage for the duration of both the jump and the loop.

The cart worked reasonably well underwater and only fell off the pool track a few times. The main problem with the pool track was keeping the track connected and in place. A rock was attached to the end of the track in order to weigh it down.

In total about 200 feet of track was used, nearly all of which is present in the 4th section. Filmed with a GoPro Hero4 Session mounted on a modified 2014 Pharadox car. Filmed in California and Colorado. "
  • That was kinda cool. How many miles of Hot Wheel track was that? :-)

@
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Hey, Amanda's back! And Duane's back too! WooHoo!

We're getting the band back together! We're on a mission, from Chip!
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    "As soon as José Arcadio closed the bedroom door the sound of a pistol shot echoed through the house. A trickle of blood came out under the door, crossed the living room, went out into the street, continued on in a straight line across the uneven terraces, went down steps and climbed over curbs, passed along the Street of the Turks, turned a corner to the right and another to the left, made a right angle at the Buendía house, went in under the closed door, crossed through the parlor, hugging the walls so as not to stain the rugs, went on to the other living room, made a wide curve to avoid the dining room table, went along the porch with the begonias, and passed without being seen under Amaranta's chair as she gave an arithmetic lesson to Aureliano José, and went through the pantry and came out in the kitchen, where Úrsula was getting ready to crack thirty-six eggs to make bread."
    As this thread is about a road trip (can't see the video, so I'm going by the title).. the above description sounds about how I would describe the path I took when my car ran out of gasoline one day on the way to work. Fortunately I was at a reasonably high point at the time, and I had planned for that possibility in advance, just in case, because the gasoline level indicator was unreliable. So, I managed to get the car going downhill on the last few caughs, and proceeded through lefts, and rights, about 15 in total, most of the way the car was going basically level. But moving.. slowly. Until the next little downhill. Along roads, across roads, careful timing with crossing traffic.. finally reaching the gasoline station, where I had to cross the main street and run the car on the electric start motor in 1st gear the last three-four meters to reach the gasoline stand. All well.
    Unfortunately that gasoline point has been demolished since then so I can't pull the same trick again, but I have also replaced my car - the new one has a reliable gasoline level indicator.