Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Running Lights on Elev-8 — Parallax Forums

Running Lights on Elev-8

Has anybody else made the Running Lights Kit for the Elev-8 from the OSH Park circuit boards?
I can not seem to get mine to work even though I can find nothing wrong in the physical build
of the circuits and followed the changes to the firmware. I have rechecked the firmware several
times and tested each individual board for shorts or wrong components. At a total loss right now
for what to do next.

Comments

• Carol,
    I built mine a couple of months ago, and could not get them working. I asked Matt if he had any code to check one module at a time, but I never heard back from him.

The are one the back shelf right now, but I would also like to get them running.

• I am going to make an attempt at writing some code to test them one at a time.
    I will do it on an Arduino first then adapt it to the Propeller board.I will post what
    ever happens.
  • Good afternoon,

Publison, I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you earlier about these - I'll email you both shortly.
  • Carol / Publison, I've attached an isolated version of the code from the Elev8 that runs the LEDs.

This is just the driver itself, so you'll need to put it into a project to run it, and it'll probably need the "pins.h" and "pins_v3" files from the Elev8 project folder.

This code should probably do it: (untested)
    #include <propeller.h>
    #include "pins.h"
    #include "led_simple.h"

//LED Color values
    const int LED_Red   = 0x00FF00;
    const int LED_Green = 0xFF0000;
    const int LED_Blue  = 0x0000FF;
    const int LED_White = 0xFFFFFF;

int LEDValue[5];
    const int LED_COUNT = 5;

int main(void)
    {
        LEDValue[0] = 0;
        LEDValue[1] = LED_Red;
        LEDValue[2] = LED_Green;
        LEDValue[3] = LED_Blue;
        LEDValue[4] = LED_White;
        LED_Start( PIN_LED, (int)&LEDValue[0], LED_COUNT );

// make the first LED glow slowly
       while(true)
       {
          for( int i=0; i<255; i++ )
          {
             LEDValue[0] = i | (i<<8) | (i << 16);
             waitcnt( CNT + 800_000 );
          }
       }
    }

If this works, then the code from the Elev8 project *should* work.
  • Thanks Jason. I'll give it a try but Matt also said that the parts list had the wrong LDO on it so I
    have to change that also. Can't wait to get the lights going. Got big plans for them.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-11-18 18:37
    I ordered the new regulators:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/UA78M05CDCYR/296-12290-1-ND/416584

and some ChipQuik. Hopefully I can slide the reg off with that. I do not have a hot air station.

Matt updated the Learn site with the correct part number.
  • Use the heat gun that you use for heat shrink. It works pretty good but will blow the part across the room!
  • Publison wrote: »
    I ordered the new regulators:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/UA78M05CDCYR/296-12290-1-ND/416584

and some ChipQuik. Hopefully I can slide the reg off with that. I do not have a hot air station.

Matt updated the Learn site with the correct part number.

IMO ChipQuik is better than hot air for the random small job where pins are exposed.

• Use the heat gun that you use for heat shrink. It works pretty good but will blow the part across the room!

I have a good heat gun, But I think it might delaminate the board with the heat needed to unsolder the regulator. There is solder underneath the regulator. I will probably use the heat gun to pre heat the area, and then use the ChipQuik to slid it off the side.

• JasonDorie wrote: »
    Carol / Publison, I've attached an isolated version of the code from the Elev8 that runs the LEDs.

This is just the driver itself, so you'll need to put it into a project to run it, and it'll probably need the "pins.h" and "pins_v3" files from the Elev8 project folder.

This code should probably do it: (untested)
    #include <propeller.h>
    #include "pins.h"
    #include "led_simple.h"

//LED Color values
    const int LED_Red   = 0x00FF00;
    const int LED_Green = 0xFF0000;
    const int LED_Blue  = 0x0000FF;
    const int LED_White = 0xFFFFFF;

int LEDValue[5];
    const int LED_COUNT = 5;

int main(void)
    {
        LEDValue[0] = 0;
        LEDValue[1] = LED_Red;
        LEDValue[2] = LED_Green;
        LEDValue[3] = LED_Blue;
        LEDValue[4] = LED_White;
        LED_Start( PIN_LED, (int)&LEDValue[0], LED_COUNT );

// make the first LED glow slowly
       while(true)
       {
          for( int i=0; i<255; i++ )
          {
             LEDValue[0] = i | (i<<8) | (i << 16);
             waitcnt( CNT + 800_000 );
          }
       }
    }

If this works, then the code from the Elev8 project *should* work.

Thanks Jason for the snippet. I'd like to try the Spin code first when I get my new regulators.