Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropellerIDE instructions show to use twolife.be repository which will now kill your pie. — Parallax Forums

PropellerIDE instructions show to use twolife.be repository which will now kill your pie.

Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
edited 2016-11-12 00:19 in Propeller 1
If you run an apt-get upgrade and have the twolife.be in your sources list, it will do this:
apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  nfs-common
The following packages will be upgraded:
  bind9-host bluej curl gdb gdbserver greenfoot libbind9-90 libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls libdns-export100 libdns100 libirs-export91
  libisc-export95 libisc95 libisccc90 libisccfg-export90 libisccfg90 liblwres90 libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi-dev
  libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi0 libxslt1.1 lxpanel lxpanel-data nuscratch pi-package pi-package-data pi-package-session
  pix-plym-splash python-rpi.gpio python3-rpi.gpio raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel raspberrypi-ui-mods raspi-config
  rc-gui rpcbind
38 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 105 MB of archives.
After this operation, 3,570 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  rpcbind libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi0 raspberrypi-bootloader
Install these packages without verification? [y/N]

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
rpcbind libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi0 raspberrypi-bootloader
Install these packages without verification? [y/N]

DO NOT SAY 'y'

It is trying to use an unauthenticated raspberrypi-bootloader, which I tried, and it killed my pi3, no longer does it boot.

These instructions say to use twolife.be as a source.
https://www.parallax.com/downloads/propelleride-raspberry-pi

Fair warning to all, it seems twolife.be has been compromised, or something.
I now must remove twolife.be in my /etc/apt/sources.list, and perhaps you should also.

To fix my broken pi, I put a known working pi sd card into my sdcard reader, copied everything from the boot folder, put my broken sd card into my reader, and pasted all the boot files and folders into the new sd card, overwriting the ones already there.
This works for me because my known working pi, was a identical copy of the sd card for the pi that broke, before it broke.

I don't know if parallax knows who owns twolife.be, but, if parallax is going to recommend repositories, perhaps its best they get their own?

My Pi did reboot back to working order except for 1 thing, my /dev/ttyUSB0 disappeared (this is the propplug)

I also had to update to the latest firmware update to fix it.
After running 'sudo rpi-update' and rebooting, /dev/ttyUSB0 came back.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Ouch, that needs fixing ASAP.

The twolife repos were for getting Qt5 for the old Wheezy version of Raspbian that only supported Qt4.

We have been on Jessie for ages now. Jessie has Qt 5 packages out of the box.

Besides that the twolife repos were reported as not working or at least messed up somehow up ages ago.

In general it is very poor practice to recommend that people install apt keys and packages from some unknown third party. It's like asking people to install random executables of the net to the Windows machines.