Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for 64K EEPROM at Mouser — Parallax Forums

Looking for 64K EEPROM at Mouser

I'm looking for a 64KByte EEPROM to use with the Propeller.

I tend not to be very adventurous when it comes to EEPROMs and just use the same chips I see fellow forum members list in their BOM.

I was just trying to find a surface mount 64KB (512kbit) chip on Mouser and found my old standbys weren't listed.

If I remember correctly the important things when considering which EEPROM to purchase is to make sure the EEPROM is an I2C device with the "normal" EEPROM I2C address.

IIRC, the EEPROM's page size is also important. Am I remembering correctly the page size should be at lest 64 bytes?

Here's one EEPROM chip I think looks like it should work with the Prop. Am I correct?

The datasheet lists the page size as 128 bytes.

Do any of you have favorite EEPROMs at Mouser? I'm mainly interested in a 64KByte chip but if the price of a 32KByte where low enough, it might be worth considering a 32KByte chip.

I'm looking for a surface mount chip but the exact footprint isn't important.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-11-10 20:33
    Here is the current EEPROM I believe Parallax uses on the new Activity Board-WX

https://www.parallax.com/product/602-10001

All the current SPIN programs should fit.

• Publison wrote: »
    Here is the current EEPROM I believe Parallax uses on the new Activity Board-WX

https://www.parallax.com/product/602-10001

All the current SPIN programs should fit.

Thanks Publison. That's the one of the chips I tried to find on Mouser (it would have been my first choice). I couldn't find any Atmel EEPROMs in stock at Mouser right now.

• pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 669
    edited 2016-11-10 21:03
    Duane, I just bought 100 of them from Digikey last week. They seem to have had plenty of them then.
    Hope that helps.

-Mike R....
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2016-11-10 21:18
    Mouser does have stock of that STM 64k soic8 eeprom. Also in tssop8.

The addressing scheme for i2c eeproms is consistent up to and including 64kbytes. It is 128kbyte (1 megabit) devices where you have to watch out for variations in the way they merge the high order bit into the device ID.
  • I use 24LC512's on RoboPi, works well.
  • pmrobert wrote: »
    Duane, I just bought 100 of them from Digikey last week. They seem to have had plenty of them then.
    Hope that helps.

-Mike R....

I have 100 from Digikey myself but the guy I'm working with prefers Mouser. I have a feeling many of us prefer the distributor we first used. I tend to look at DigiKey first myself but I know lots of people prefer Mouser.
    I use 24LC512's on RoboPi, works well.

Thanks, I know I've looked at your BOM many times to see which sort of parts to use.
    Mouser does have stock of that STM 64k soic8 eeprom. Also in tssop8.

The addressing scheme for i2c eeproms is consistent up to and including 64kbytes. It is 128kbyte (1 megabit) devices where you have to watch out for variations in the way they merge the high order bit into the device ID.

Very good! That's a much better price than the one I found.

I've run in the 128KByte issue myself several times.

Thanks for the help everyone.