Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
3Doodler Recommendation — Parallax Forums

3Doodler Recommendation

Anybody use these 3D "printing" pens yet or try it with kids? I saw a demo of a Creopop UV-cured resin pen which was tragically, ridiculously slow and a complete waste of $130. I don't care how cool and safe it is, my twins would never use that. I'm considering a 3Doodler pen for Christmas, so I have time to wait for input. I know they're not great and talent & steady hands are required. What I want to know is how frustrating they are just to use. Too slow? Too fragile? Any better brands? Any input from owners is appreciated.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2016-11-26 00:18
    I got two of these $25 pens for the twins for Christmas. Fast ship and they worked well enough when I secretly tested them. Pretty fun, def takes some practice. Can't compare to others since they are the first I've tried. They include 3 starter coils of random-colored ABS filament, just enough to get you hooked. As with razors, paper printers and many things these days, the purchase price is pretty cheap compared to the price of potentially ongoing refill packs. Assuming these pens last a while, my girls will burn thru a lot of colorful plastic filament. Fortunately it's cheap from China, just order long before you need it. From what I hear, ABS is much better than PLA, this pen has temp settings for both.

I could actually see making some ugly but functional robot parts or chassis with this pen, just "drawing" plastic around motors and batteries, maybe even some bearing or bushings. Kind of what @Duane Degn was doing with Sugru. Drawing in 3D will take some practice. What appears simpler is drawing flat 2D panels, then 'welding' them together with the pen, which works surprisingly well. The Eiffel tower is a good example of this technique.

Pen: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351626553365

Edit: $21 pen, no LCD temp display, ABS only: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311370417881

Filament (10 meters): http://www.ebay.com/itm/272295159359

maxresdefault.jpg

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-11-26 00:07
    I think that is great, kinda like the modern day wood burning set. Parents were always second guessing that decision.

If you can build 2D form from a drawing on say metal, so it doesn't stick. What kid wouldn't have fun with it.

EDIT: look at what Mindcraft has done, and it is just vertual.
    edited 2016-11-26 21:28
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    I think that is great, kinda like the modern day wood burning set.

Great analogy: another smelly, thermal creative craft with similar risks of burned fingers. Also an IQ test: smart kids won't touch the hot end twice, and they'll either learn to respect 120 VAC plugs or learn to salivate/expect a tingle any time they handle an electrical cord.

Making Pavlov & Darwin proud with the newest tech!
  • That's awesome. Just the other day I saw a giant PDF of "blueprints" for these pens, which I cannot find now. It had a lot of cool stuff in it. ABS would probably be easier cause it will stick to cool surfaces. We played with a few of these in the Makerspace. I liked making flat 2D parts and then joining them together. If you use PLA blue painters tape seems to hold it down nicely. I made a bridge and it reminded me of the game Pontifex :)
    Gave these to the twins today and they loved 'em. Recommended!

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 317K
    720 x 1280 - 302K
    720 x 1280 - 274K
    1.jpg 316.8K
    2.jpg 301.6K
    4.jpg 273.5K