Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2 Min PID Demo Video - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

2 Min PID Demo Video

13»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Heater. wrote: »
    The Aussie slang is poetry.

As international tour guide Nia Vardalos said in My Life in Ruins, "Australian people are the nicest people anywhere, but you just can't understand them."

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-12-02 16:36
    It does not hurt anymore than the Yankee "wha wha wha" that annoys me on TV everyday.

Some yankee females have a growl in their voice that gets anoying.

EDIT: I believe that started in Silicon Valley where the "Valley Girl" came from.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I guess that not like "Essex Girls" :)
  • How much PID does it take for the F-35 Lightning to do what it does?

Haven't been to an airshow in year's, depending on the participants the next Cleveland event may see me there.

That extreme transonic vortex is somthing to behold.
    Transonic flow:

The term Transonic refers to a range of flow velocities just below and above the localspeed of sound (generally taken as Mach0.8–1.2). It is defined as the range of speeds between the critical Mach number, when some parts of the airflow over an aircraft become supersonic, and a higher speed, typically near Mach 1.2, when all of the airflow is supersonic. Between these speeds, some of the airflow is supersonic, while some of the airflow is not supersonic.
    1116 x 830 - 46K
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    How much PID does it take for the F-35 Lightning to do what it does?

Just a piddance.

• erco wrote: »
    Just a piddance.

What a great name for a robot, creativity must be in your blood.
    edited 2016-12-03 19:44
    No idea about the F-35. But if you want an idea of some of the problems solved in the Apollo's guidance, navigation, and control systems check out this nice presentation by Dr. William Widnall of MIT.

From which we learn the amazing fact that they did not use quaternions in their calculations like we do on quad copters now a days. So the Apollo vehicles had to be careful not to get into gimble lock. Although I guess that may have been more to do with the mechanical gyros they used than the calculations.

I think I'm calling my robot the Pidler :)

• Heater. wrote: »
    I think I'm calling my robot the Pidler :)

Don't call us if it happens to get stuck on the roof.

Here is a new product just begging for erco's expertise. They call it a climber cart, but it's not motorized.. .yet
    475 x 175 - 47K
    Too many jokes to choose just one.

Piddle
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Piddle may refer to:

River Piddle, a river in Dorset, England
    A slang term for urine and urination
    Piddle Brook, a watercourse in Worcestershire, England
    Piddles, a character in the video game Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
    Pathetically trivial and trifling as in piddling little questions
    How much PID would a Piddler ... iffa Piddler could...
    edited 2016-12-03 22:06
    There is also a village called "Wyre Piddle" in Worcestershire. It's on the river Avon where it joins the Piddle Brook.

They have a local beer there called 'Piddle in The Hole'.

It's quite a freaky place.

"Piddles" has been used as a kind of generic name for any young cat. Can't think why.

I have to make sure my pidler can hold it's PID.

Whoa, turns out Apollo 11, 12, 13 and 14 had PID parameters that were verging on on unstable!

edited 2016-12-05 00:30
    There is also a village called "Wyre Piddle" in Worcestershire. It's on the river Avon where it joins the Piddle Brook.

They have a local beer there called 'Piddle in The Hole'.

It's quite a freaky place.

I'm glad not to be under your PIDler on the roof.
    I'm happy not to be living down river from the village.
    But then there is supposedly a must read book about that by a Mr. Freeley.
    Who is this Mr. Freeley ?
    Who is this Mr. Freeley ?

You haven't heard that one?

The Chinese author who wrote the book "Yellow River by I. P. Freeley".
    I guess I have forgotten most of the jokes I learned in the school yard :)

I'll refrain from telling the one about Mike Hunt.

I'll refrain from telling the one about Mike Hunt.

Maybe you had better PM that one. If that isn't appropriate then send it to me in a plain brown envelope. :lol:
  • erco wrote: »

Just a piddance.

PID has got to be a major factor here, with all of these actuators and other things to control. The pilot still has to concentrate on flying.
    edited 2016-12-12 03:09
    MikeDYur wrote: »

PID has got to be a major factor here, with all of these actuators and other things to control. The pilot still has to concentrate on flying.

Yup, and that's a fairly conventional airframe. Funkier airframes require funkier FBW control systems.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-117_Nighthawk

Highly-stealth aircraft like the F-117 Nighthawk are aerodynamically unstable in all three aircraft principal axes and require constant flight corrections from a fly-by-wire (FBW) flight system to maintain controlled flight.

Further exacerbating instability & control issues are planes with forward swept wings (X-29) or oblique wings:

The United States Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) awarded Northrop Grumman a $10.3 million (USD) contract for risk reduction and preliminary planning for an X-plane OFW demonstrator,[6] known as the Switchblade. That program was eventually cancelled, citing difficulties with control systems.

Even the Boeing 777 is pretty unstable. I'm told it is possible to fly it with all digital Fly By Wire turned off. just using the backup analogue control, but that it is very hard work for the pilot.

All about flight control systems: https://wuecampus2.uni-wuerzburg.de/moodle/pluginfile.php/563915/mod_resource/content/1/FlightControlLecture_UWB_2015-comments-sm.pdf

Of course the Concord was the first passenger aircraft with fly-by-wire controls, all done with opamps !

Interestingly I just learned that some important control algorithms for the Apollo Lunar module were gleaned from papers published by Russian academics at the time...

edited 2016-12-12 23:33
    Is there such a thing as "PID Pills"?

President Elect says the price of the F-35 is out of control.

http://nytimes.com/2016/12/12/us/politics/trump-f35-fighter-jet-tweet.html?
    edited 2016-12-25 12:10
    For erco, a nice new Saturn V for Christmas.

Read instructions carefully!
  • Picture.
    613 x 800 - 430K
    edited 2016-12-28 03:42
    I got my girls a floating mag-lev globe for Christmas, which reminds me how former students of mine often joked that I subjected them to "cruel and unusual punishment" in some of my class requirements. In addition to programming BASIC Stamps, they had to build a magnetic levitator. Pretty simple stuff, they had to (learn to) solder up an LM339 comparator circuit, which simply switched on/off (via power transistor) an overhead electromagnet when the permanent magnet on the floating item underneath broke an IR beam. Used two 9V batteries, one for the circuit and one for the electromagnet. Man, how they burned through 9V batteries. If the floating object fell off, the electromagnet just stayed on and drained thar 9V battery down to nothing. Not a lot of amp-hour capacity there.

I provided some strong flat neodymium magnets, and students were free to select any small object they wanted to levitate, which was generally one of the many dead 9V batteries they consumed in the course of the project. This minimal control system had no electronic P, I, or D but it just barely worked. It required careful mechanical adjustment and mechanical damping. We used foam earplugs (AKA slow recovery foam) between the magnet and object (9V battery). You could feel the whole system vibrate when it was working properly and it absolutely would not work without the foam damper. A simple, cheap demonstration of dynamic mechanical damping in action.
    500 x 400 - 27K