Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wooden Gift box (GPS and Date) — Parallax Forums

Wooden Gift box (GPS and Date)

this may have been done before...
I want to make a wooden box that can only be opened on a certain date (may be over a year away) and at a certain GPS location. my plan is to use a GPS module for date and gps. not sure how to make the whole thing light on power consumption for this length of time. Everything I have made to date has had the ability to plug in. Given the advances in batteries, should i use a Lipo for this aplication? it will sit on a shelf for a long period of time. What are some methods to not consume lots of juice. can i put the propeller "to sleep" and wake periodically to check the date?
Who has some ideas on the matter?

Thank you.

Comments

• It doesn't need to be on all the time, does it? User turns it on, checks to see if it's the right day (or after), then turns it off if not.

-Phil
  • Phil,
    It dawned on me that all i would need to do is have a momentary button. once pressed, it would latch until program is complete and then turn back off.

you are correct. this will work well
  • What you are talking about is commonly referred to as a Reverse Geocache Box and I made a Propeller based one 6 years ago. I put a lot of work in the thread for it because it came out so well (not always common with my projects, lol). Check out this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/118830/propeller-based-reverse-geo-cache-birthday-present-project

It is currently sitting on one of my wife's shelves so if you have any questions, I can still fire it up.

I still have "V2" about 80% done. It is a scavenger hunt box the gives you step by step clues to route you to several locations that are loaded off of SD so no programming necessary. I was going to sell a kit for it and I even have 300 enclosures already, but it has been sidelined several times over the last 2 years, so is still sitting......
  • Just FYI, I noticed that the forum migration and OBEX updates have wreaked havoc on the links in my Reverse GeoCache thread, so I will look at fixing that soon and may end up moving all the content to standard HTML on my own site.