Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Silicon Valley airports new employee's — Parallax Forums

Silicon Valley airports new employee's

MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
edited 2016-10-28 15:50 in Robotics

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2016-10-28 17:52
    When I was in San Jose I saw these security bots at an expo.

On returning home I read the news that one of them had run over a toddler in a Stanford Mall.

20160622_101042_rotate.jpg

Edit: No idea why that pic is the wrong way around. Looks fine elsewhere.

2560 x 1536 - 1M
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-10-28 17:53
    Here is the rotated pic.

Fixed previous post.
    1536 x 2560 - 1M
    Ah, great.

This stuff makes me very nervous for our future. And we have not armed them yet!

Although I read recently that some US law enforcement agency want to equip drones with tasers already....
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Ah, great.

This stuff makes me very nervous for our future. And we have not armed them yet!

Although I read recently that some US law enforcement agency want to equip drones with tasers already....

Agreed, things seem to be happening very fast, it is scary.

We have humans that act like robots, and robots that act like humans. And since we created the robots, they are capable of mistakes. Arming them could possibly be a big one.
    Never mind the autonomous robots with weapons.

What disturbs me most is the human guided robots with weapons, like the military drones in use already and the police controlled drones that are coming. Which are controlled by humans, which as you say act like robots. They don't much think about or care who they zap, disable or kill as long as they get their pay check.

As if on cue, today I read of China's new security bots. Taser on the bot coupled to super computer AI system: http://computerworld.com/article/3136745/robotics/china-s-policing-robot-cattle-prod-meets-supercomputer.html

Humans disregard for fellow humans can never be over estimated.

Coming to a mall near you very soon.

• Heater. wrote: »
    As if on cue, today I read of China's new security bots. Taser on the bot coupled to super computer AI system: http://computerworld.com/article/3136745/robotics/china-s-policing-robot-cattle-prod-meets-supercomputer.html

Have you ever pushed over a sleeping cow?

I haven't, we could hide behind the potted plants, and when it goes by.. . Ahh scratch that, it may have HV chassis protection. But once it is off of it's wheels, it would spin like a bowling pin.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    Heater. wrote: »

I haven't, we could hide behind the potted plants, and when it goes by.. . Ahh scratch that, it may have HV chassis protection. But once it is off of it's wheels, it would spin like a bowling pin.

Robo tipping as a new sport? Sounds like a lot of fun! Good rubber soled shoes should take care of any high voltage chassis concerns.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    MikeDYur wrote: »

C'mon, Virginia Tech is a land grant university. We know all the cow tricks.

Didja know that cows will let you walk them upstairs but never down? That was the jist of several college pranks long before the Internet. Old buildings, no elevators, big stairwells. Sneak a cow full of Ex-Lax into a rival dorm, top floor in the wee hours of the morning. Not me, of course!

BTW, cows had to be tranquilized and dragged down the stairs. Messy business, to be sure.

edited 2016-11-01 20:10
    erco,
    Didja know that cows will let you walk them upstairs but never down?
    Wow, wish I had known that when I was at uni. We had student residence towers 14 and 16 floors high (The highest brick built structures in Europe at the time possibly even now). And cows all around. I don't think the lifts were big enough to fit a cow into but we could perhaps get them up the fire escape stairs!

Mind you I had fun hacking the lifts anyway!