Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Math and Engineering videos — Parallax Forums

Math and Engineering videos

Hey guys found this channel on youtube with many good videos on math and electrical engineering. Even has tutorial on the Kalman Filter, thought I share.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCiGxYawhEp4QyFcX0R60YdQ

Hoang

Comments

• Nice find! I'm watching the Kalman filter videos right now, and I have to say that the lecturer is doing a great job of explaining how it works.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2016-10-25 17:03
    Seairth wrote: »
    Nice find! I'm watching the Kalman filter videos right now, and I have to say that the lecturer is doing a great job of explaining how it works.

+1. and I love his big red bow tie. This lecture is as good or better than those I had in college. Seems like it's possible to get a great free education by watching online videos. What an awesome country! The world is our oyster and the future is bright!

• I watched the Kalman filtering videos up, but not including, the vector stuff. Totally engrossing! One thing I wonder about, though: he treats the measurement error as a known constant. Sometimes the measurement error is a percentage of the reading, which would also be easy enough to incorporate into the formulae. But, thinking further, the measurement error isn't always even known. It seems like it should be possible to include an estimate of the measurement error in the iterative computations, along with all the other stuff. Anyone have experience with this?

-Phil
  • Kalman filtering--there be demons. I too have wondered where the error measurement come from.

John Abshier
  • The lecturer is amazing. Also, check out his electrical engineering series they are great as well.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    But, thinking further, the measurement error isn't always even known. It seems like it should be possible to include an estimate of the measurement error in the iterative computations, along with all the other stuff.

Excellent point. Engineers and professors love nice tidy equations and quantities, but when backed into a corner they must resort to estimating, fudging, or "empirical determination". Two memorable quotes (IMHO "get out of jail free cards") from my engineering textbooks are:

1) It shall be tacitly assumed that...
    2) It is left as an exercise to the reader to determine/calculate/prove that...

:):):)